• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DaleGabrielSamandMaxSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamer Opinion needed!

Poll: Which game project is a must play (post secondaries in the thread)
Total Votes: 18
80s Fantasy
Outer Intern
Artificial Reality
Channel Surfin
1940s Cartoon
Welcome to Innsmouth
Slate Escape
One in the Chamber
College Is a Nightmare

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2015-04-01

PM

Hey everyone!

I’m a long time fan of adventure gaming and one of the reasons I joined (but not the sole reason, I hope to make a nice home here down the road) is I can really use the opinions of fellow P&C fans.

A team including myself are getting involved in an upcoming Adventure Game Jam that will last for two weeks, the only requirement is that there’s a story and “an adventure” and starts in a few days. My group are all super enthusiastic about the game jam and set our sights accordingly on the project. These won’t be super long because of the short time we have.

The only problem is that we came up with a bunch of too many great ideas to consider.

I’d like your thoughts on which one of these you’d like to play, with possibly a second pick.

Please keep in mind I’m not trying to promote the team, game jam, recruit or whatever. Just would like to hear what you think about these ideas.

That said, here we go!

80s Fantasy - (Goonies meets LOTR) Point n Click, Set in a world that is part 80s cliches and locales, video game logic with High Fantasy tropes & creatures, Player is a young half elf skater living in a suburb with their human mom struggling to make ends meet. The kid needs to earn money for a video game tournement and goes on an adventure w/ misfit friends involving sinister forces looking for a powerful treasure that might help the family.

Outer Intern- Space quest style, have to help around a ship/alien world. Lots of humor and sci fi references. Player is an intern red shirt and ends up saving the day while the captain is away.

Artificial Reality - Visual Novel/1st person Style
Main character is an AI, exploring and investigating the real world. Player has to spy on people and interact with them who are under the idea that the AI is a real person and has to find an ally to reveal the fact they are artificial to avoid deletion.

College is a Nightmare - Visual Novel
Player gets accepted to a new college out of state. It’s a brand new experience and it’s on a full scholarship to boot! The problem is that the college is ground zero to a vortex of supernatural forces. The player has to balance choices and different scenes trying new things in their college life while also trying to survive all the weirdness for 2 weeks.

Channel Surfin- Point n Click - Player is a 19 yr old couch potato who thanks to his mad scientist little sister’s untested dimensional tv, gets teleported into a TV universe filled with real 2nd rate syndicated, PBS and public access shows ruled by an enigmatic man in a suit with an old tv for a head. The player has to “complete” an episode for 3-5 different shows by solving different puzzles and is aided by the ability to Channel Surf, going from show to show instantanously by “changing the channel” and using different elements of the shows to solve other shows puzzles. I.E. Using the oven in a children’s show set in a pizza resturaunt with talking animatronics to thaw out an object frozen in an a large ice cube from the Ancient Aliens documentary.

1940s Cartoon Side Scroller - You play as an escaped convict duo (a bird and weasel) who are chained at the wrist by an unbreakable set of handcuffs. Their objective is to find a way to break the cuffs going through some different puzzles and donning disguises to avoid the cops as they try to stay free. The environment is a 1940s black and white cartoon where everything is vibrant and singing

Slate Escape (Side-Scrolling Platformer)
-You play as a strange creature named Slate who has an uncanny ability to adapt to almost any conditions to overcome obstacles. Need to get across a gap? He sprouts wings. Need to get under some fire? He hardens his skin. Need to go underwater? He sprouts gills. He’s hunting down by sets of gas mask soldiers and scientists seeking to recapture or kill him as he moves his way through an underground lab and eventually into the destroyed city above.

Welcome to Innsmouth (Point-n-click first person)
-Takes place in a fictional Lovecraftian-style town which is home to fish creatures and human inhabitants. You as the newest resident think that something horrible is going on with these conditions but turns out it’s just regular life. The idea of the game is that your character finds several things that link towards some ‘Grand Conspiracy’ when in actuality it’s just some weird mishap no one saw coming. There isn’t some great mystery (the player is led to believe there is) or some weird cult but just people living out their lives

One in the Chamber (Side-Scroller Puzzler)
-You play as Round (a bullet) as he navigates his way through a very complex gun in order to get to the port where he’s supposed to be fired.

Thanks so much in advance!

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

There is no option for “none of the above.”

Joined 2015-04-01

PM

darthmaul - 01 April 2015 10:56 PM

There is no option for “none of the above.”

I already forgot the “College is a Nightmare” entry. At least “NA” can be represented with not voting.

Sorry!

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I chose Artificial Reality because I like the idea of AIs and sci-fi in general. In this game I’d get to be something different too, which is a plus.

The other ones I’d like are probably College is a Nightmare, Channel Surfin and Welcome to Innsmouth (though you kinda spoiled it for me now Tongue).

While the side scrollers had some nice ideas, they’re not really my cup of tea.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 4255

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

PixelClicker - 01 April 2015 10:49 PM

I’m a long time fan of adventure gaming and… I joined… to make a nice home here down the road

It took you a while to get here. I guess it was a long (and winding) road.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Hi! I picked One in the Chamber because it sounds unique and achievable in the small time frame you’re permitted.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Outer Intern for me, anything with space quest references is good!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Outer Intern for me too, not so much because of the space quest reference, but more because of “Lots of humor and sci fi references” .. and Red Shirts of course .. there simply aren’t enough games with red shirts!

Edit: But I also like the idea of Welcome to Innsmouth, though as millenia said, you have kind of spoiled it for us now.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2013-03-08

PM

I chose Welcome to Innsmouth because of the original “anti-twist” (if that term makes any sense).

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

PixelClicker - 01 April 2015 11:04 PM

I already forgot the “College is a Nightmare” entry.

Added that for you.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2015-04-01

PM

zobraks - 02 April 2015 03:12 AM
PixelClicker - 01 April 2015 10:49 PM

I’m a long time fan of adventure gaming and… I joined… to make a nice home here down the road

It took you a while to get here. I guess it was a long (and winding) road.

It was. I’m one of those gamers who like to experiment and figure every little thing out rather than dive for a cheat sheet to be told where to go. Speed running adventure games suck. Thanks for the greeting!

Iznogood - 02 April 2015 10:18 AM

Outer Intern for me too, not so much because of the space quest reference, but more because of “Lots of humor and sci fi references” .. and Red Shirts of course .. there simply aren’t enough games with red shirts!

Edit: But I also like the idea of Welcome to Innsmouth, though as millenia said, you have kind of spoiled it for us now.

Yep, we need more redshirts. Like that Orion trail game.

millenia - 02 April 2015 02:42 AM

I chose Artificial Reality because I like the idea of AIs and sci-fi in general. In this game I’d get to be something different too, which is a plus.

The other ones I’d like are probably College is a Nightmare, Channel Surfin and Welcome to Innsmouth (though you kinda spoiled it for me now Tongue).

While the side scrollers had some nice ideas, they’re not really my cup of tea.

Sorry for spoiling innsmouth, it’s one of those setups if where we didn’t tell you that your character is just causing people trouble, you wouldn’t tell it apart from another horror mystery adventure game.

As for the side scrollers, our intention was to have it be more like Flashback, Limbo or Another World - side scrollers but with a heavy focus on storytelling and puzzles.

Joined 2015-04-01

PM

TimovieMan - 02 April 2015 04:50 PM
PixelClicker - 01 April 2015 11:04 PM

I already forgot the “College is a Nightmare” entry.

Added that for you.

Thank you so much!

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

PixelClicker - 02 April 2015 06:42 PM

Sorry for spoiling innsmouth, it’s one of those setups if where we didn’t tell you that your character is just causing people trouble, you wouldn’t tell it apart from another horror mystery adventure game.

As for the side scrollers, our intention was to have it be more like Flashback, Limbo or Another World - side scrollers but with a heavy focus on storytelling and puzzles.

Nah, you had to do it to get the concept out. It would probably be an interesting play even knowing the outcome.

I know some scrollers are definitely better than others, but if I can truly choose, I prefer point&click; or visual novel style.

And while I like pretty much all sci-fi, personally I think the humorous red shirt idea is kinda old compared to some of these much more interesting concepts suggested here.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Artificial Reality and Channel Surfing sound like the best two to me.

If those were real games I’d totally check them out.  Very unique concepts.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top