• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Strategy guides

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Anybody got any favorite official or unofficial strategy guides? I have 13 guides. A couple came with the game, most are the well-known Prima guides. Darkstar, Shannara, Riven, Pandora Directive, Overseer, Ripper, Kyrandia Trilogy, Secrets of the luxor, Black Dahlia, Obsidian, Bad Day on the Midway, The Last Express, and Inside Moves (the Neverhood).

The ones I treasure are so much more than a book with tips and tricks or a walkthrough with pics. Inside Moves has some pics in color, the entire text of the Hall of Records, and concept drawings. The Bad Day of the Midway guide is in full-color, whereas the overwhelming majority of the Prima guides are in black-and-white. It is a fantastic read, contains background stories of the characters plus some information on The Residents. It also came with a nice poster. And it was a revelation to replay Obsidian with the guide, written by the developers themselves, next to me.

The Black Dahlia guide is the biggest one. Guess why. Smile

If you want to know what triggered my question, see here.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I wish I had The Neverhood strategy guide. What a game.
BTW, I had written down the whole of the Hall of Records text.
I wonder where I put that file.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Strategy guide?! I’ll give you strategy guides!! Move your a$$es here! Both of you!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

No way, Pedro!
Why don’t you start The Neverhood playthrough? (Just kidding!)

On a more serious note: I wonder if the game saving system is improved now that it can be played in ScummVM (originally there were only 25 save game slots, and the games were saved as .reg files in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\DreamWorks Interactive\Neverhood\Saved Games of your Registry).

I still have my saved games (had played TN in 2005):

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I didn’t think I had any strategy guides until I thought about it more, had a forage & found that I actually have an official one for GK2 The Beast Within a game I’ve played twice forgetting I had it (until now!) & I’ve also got one for Zork Nemesis which so far I haven’t got around to playing! I did also use to have some compilation guide books, that included walkthroughs/tips/cheats for a few adventure games, that I bought prior to having the internet.

Your save game folder looks very organised & tidy compared to a lot of mine zobraks!

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Here’s a list of my strategy guides:
The Beast Within
Beyond Atlantis
The Book of Dead Ends (Riddle of the Sphinx)
Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon
The Crystal Key
Dracula Resurrection
Dracula
The Forgotten
In the 1st Degree
Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
The Labyrinth of Time
The Messenger
Monty Python’s Complete Waste of Time
Myst III: Exile
Myst IV: Revelation
Myst V: End of Ages
Myst Masterpiece
Obsidian
The Omega Stone
Rama
Riven
Safecracker
Starship Titanic
Timelapse
TimeScape: Journey to Pompeii
Titanic: Adventure Out of Time
Traitors Gate
Wrath of the Gods

The ones by Dreamcatcher are the bare minimum, but some of them, like the Myst guides, Obsidian, Riddle of the Sphinx, Starship Titanic, Timelapse, and Titanic, have extra developers notes and information.  I also have the Abridged Manual of the Los Angeles Police Dept., which came with my copy of Police Quest 4.  I’m not sure if I need it for the game, but it’s neat to have.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

chrissie - 26 March 2015 10:23 AM

Your save game folder looks very organised & tidy compared to a lot of mine zobraks!

Yeah, I’m anal-retentive . Should have been a chartered accountant or something.

Lady Kestrel - 26 March 2015 07:58 PM

Here’s a list of my strategy guides:

If I lived anywhere on the East Coast of the USA there would be a burglary at your house one of these nights.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

An impressive list, LadyKestrel. I wouldn’t mind owning the guides for Titanic, Traitors Gate, Callahan’s, and In the 1st Degree. And I didn’t know there was a guide for indie game Wrath of the Gods. I suppose the developer/teacher wrote it himself?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

If given a choice, I’ve always opted for buying guides when they were offered with the games, but several I found for sale after I had played the games.

I bought Wrath of the Gods and the guide from their website.  The guide was written by Joel Skidmore with Jeff Cretcher and Marty Beckers, and it looks very comprehensive.  The title page has this subtitle: The Complete Mythological Guide to the Game with Entertaining Information Based on the Stories of the Heroes of the Greek Myths and the Gods and Monsters of Greek Mythology.  (Sounds like a teacher.) Smile It also has screenshots from the game, which I assume are from the puzzles, but since I haven’t played the game yet, I don’t want to look too closely.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top