• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Veovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

King’s Quest ‘2015’ (All The Positive Talk)

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

No surprises here, John Walker at RPS hated it: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/kings-quest-chapter-1-review/

I wonder why he even bothers with adventure games, as he just seems to dislike them all.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

tomimt - 30 July 2015 08:38 AM

No surprises here, John Walker at RPS hated it: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/kings-quest-chapter-1-review/

I wonder why he even bothers with adventure games, as he just seems to dislike them all.

There are so many things wrong in that review it’s not even funny. Amazing, it’s almost possible to feel the hate for the series or adventures in general.

Total Posts: 2070

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Despite I love the series and I don’t love John Walker, I must admit he made some good points. The game is very, VERY casual, the writing is cliched and painfully unfunny, QTE are, well, QTE. And the King himself is a complete idiot and deserves all those deaths. Didn’t expect much, but that’s just a waste of time, sorry.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

wilco - 30 July 2015 08:58 AM
tomimt - 30 July 2015 08:38 AM

There are so many things wrong in that review it’s not even funny. Amazing, it’s almost possible to feel the hate for the series or adventures in general.

“The original series were mostly terrible,”
That’s really all I had to read to be reminded this is a reviewer with an axe to grind against adventures.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

The gaming media was never that great, but I’m starting to notice quite a few more idiots getting jobs in it now. So many of them have been awful of late. Kindafunny’s blatant Nintendo fanboy attitude, GT tearing a game to bits…when they gave it an 8/10, IGN being IGN, Kotaku publishing nonsense articles, Polygon’s poorly researched articles and MS links.

It’s a mess.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

zane - 30 July 2015 09:37 AM

“The original series were mostly terrible,”
That’s really all I had to read to be reminded this is a reviewer with an axe to grind against adventures.

That’s where every reasonable adventure player should stop reading the article. They MIGHT have been “terrible”, or they might be terrible now from this perspective, but the sentence is unspeakably obnoxious. And mostly because of “and certainly found its place in nostalgia.” It’s just as he wanted to redeem the series, but just continues to piss on it. Sometimes, the professional reviewer needs to respect things for what they are, or what they achieved, and still express his opinion. The right sentence would be: “The original series were mostly terrible, but it was still a groundbreaking cult classic.”

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

diego - 30 July 2015 09:46 AM

The right sentence would be: “The original series were mostly terrible, but it was still a groundbreaking cult classic.”

Actually, the right sentence would be: “I’m familiar with the previous King’s Quest games, and I’ve never enjoyed them; therefore I’m not the right person to review this new one and I don’t understand why my moron of an editor-in-chief assigned this review to me.”

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

So i took the wheel from curiosity shop, and this choice will affect later?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 30 July 2015 11:31 AM

So i took the wheel from curiosity shop, and this choice will affect later?

It affects how some scenes play out. The whole force/heart/mind choices have some interesting deviations in some moments of the story.

Total Posts: 1639

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

im interested in buying the first episode to see if I like it, my only concern is if I buy it and do like it am I going to have to buy the full package to get the rest or will I at least get 9.99 off for buying the first episode.

Also is it more of a adventure game or more of a telltale game. I loved the walking dead game but their formula got old real quick and I never fully finished the wolfe among us bc I got bored with the “gameplay”

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Jdawg445 - 30 July 2015 02:37 PM

im interested in buying the first episode to see if I like it, my only concern is if I buy it and do like it am I going to have to buy the full package to get the rest or will I at least get 9.99 off for buying the first episode.

Also is it more of a adventure game or more of a telltale game. I loved the walking dead game but their formula got old real quick and I never fully finished the wolfe among us bc I got bored with the “gameplay”

They sell a season pass which is episodes 2-5 for $30.
What the devs have not yet made clear, is that the $40 package includes an “exclusive epilogue”.... its unknown how you will obtain that epilogue if you didnt buy the $40 version.
So the first 1-2 hours of the game is pretty QTE and “cinematic”, much like many of telltales games. The next few hours the devs really deliver with a fully KQ experience (wandering in the forest, spending coins on things, doing puzzles in different orders, avoiding death). Its a great and very satisfying mix.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

You can but the season pass with episodes 2-5 if you like the first one.
After the first half hour where it’s more guided and simple the game is totally different from the Telltale formula and more traditional. There is big area to explore, puzzles (not very hard puzzles) and lots of items to pick up. Story is all King’s Quest in my opinion.

Edit: Well, what zane said Smile

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

ok im going to buy the first game from steam, I got some xbox money, but it seems the game is running badly on the console ports, how does it run on pc. I got a pretty good laptop but its not like a super gaming pc, also steam has the game as partial controller port, is it really partial or is it fully, bc I have watched gameplay and its obviously not a pnc game

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

wilco - 30 July 2015 02:46 PM

You can but the season pass with episodes 2-5 if you like the first one.
After the first half hour where it’s more guided and simple the game is totally different from the Telltale formula and more traditional. There is big area to explore, puzzles (not very hard puzzles) and lots of items to pick up. Story is all King’s Quest in my opinion.

Edit: Well, what zane said Smile

thank yall for the response to be honest I was always more of a space quest/quest for glory fan than king’s quest. the only one I played to completion was the one with cedric the owl, and your family was taken by a wizard. the game was charming in spots and totally random in others,in a not so good way. what is the puzzle difficulty like what a 3 or 4 outta 10 for reference I found the book of unwritten tales and broken sword 5 to be pretty easy minus the final real puzzle in bs5

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Jdawg445 - 30 July 2015 02:53 PM

thank yall for the response to be honest I was always more of a space quest/quest for glory fan than king’s quest. the only one I played to completion was the one with cedric the owl, and your family was taken by a wizard. the game was charming in spots and totally random in others,in a not so good way. what is the puzzle difficulty like what a 3 or 4 outta 10 for reference I found the book of unwritten tales and broken sword 5 to be pretty easy minus the final real puzzle in bs5

I think it’s easier than BoUT and BS5. And of course much much easier than KQ5. I also think this one has more comedy than the other KQ games although fairy tale tone is the same.

About the controls I played with mouse+keyboard no problem but I think it should adapt well to a controller.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top