• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

King’s Quest ‘2015’ (All The Positive Talk)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

There gotta be a thread discussing this matter of the greatest importance happening to adventure gaming these days; Kings Quest and Sierra Revival .

I decided to put all my negativity aside, lock it in a metal chest and throw the key inside the beast belly.

I ‘ve been thinking how come when my greatest dream almost coming true i stand up against it like this, Maybe the only one who understood me right was Dag at a previous post, tho even after what he said i started bashing the project in every way, and honestly i haven’t changed my mind, i only changed my prescriptive, when Ridley Scott gave Alien, James Cameron carried on the sequel differently and good enough, so the point is i was depressed yesterday of how i started to imagine the Sierra’s Mountain being blown away, destroying every good memory i have toward it, because Sierra is not just a game company for me, its my mentor, my best childhood memories, my English teacher, my social virtual life, and my most adrenaline pumper i ever dealt with.

anyways, i read this article today talking about one of the puzzles Graham would face, and i liked!, i was even surprised, it was far away of the puzzle posted yesterday at Wilco link, it was very POSITIVE for me to read it and maybe for you too… but beware its kindda spoilerish, as it describes the puzzle but hardly giving the full solution, i see no risk in reading it, unless you wanna take the whole surprise only when the game is out, either way, it is positive talk . 

The bridge is out, the first thing Graham has to do is find a way across but before Graham can even get near the bridge, he needs to find a way past the guards posted to keep fools from falling off the broken passage. I don’t want to completely give the solution to this puzzle away, but it involves a set of egotistical guards, a dip in the river, and a conveniently placed beehive. I won’t tell you how Graham links these things together in a convenient way, but it ends the guards getting humorously distracted.

With the first obstacle done with, Graham moves onto solving the problem of getting past the busted bridge. Graham already has a hatchet in his inventory from an earlier event where he cut down a tree, and he’s eager to put those skills to test again. He begins hacking away at a big tree so that it might conveniently fall across the gap and act as an impromptu bridge. No dice, though. A hulking man in plated armor pushes Graham aside, effortlessly pushes the tree over to the other side, and beats all the others across. He then kicks the tree down into the river, which floats downstream.

Next up, Graham finds a rope that might work for finding a way across. But again, before he can even try anything a skill archer yanks the rope from Graham, ties it to an arrow, and handily creates a tightrope bridge across the chasm. Of course, he dismantles it once across, but at least Graham is able to pocket the rope this time.

Two more knights find additional methods to beat Graham across the river in unique fashions, making his efforts look hopeless in the process. Eventually, all he’s left with is his trusty hatchet, a rope, and the tree, which has washed up nearby on shore. What would you do if you were Graham and wanted to get across?

Edit: changed the title form ‘Only..’ to ‘All…’

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Good thread, Advie.

But just to be clear, there’s no reason for there to only be “positive talk”. Healthy skepticism and genuine concern about problem areas are always acceptable. What isn’t acceptable is constantly pushing personal agendas with toxic cynicism and negativity, drowning out all other voices, browbeating those with differing views and demeaning perfectly valid opinions. Those who can tell the difference and self-moderate accordingly are welcome; those who can’t will soon find themselves on the outside looking in.

And now, yes, by all means, feel free to resume a respectful, constructive discussion of King’s Quest. Our own preview will be posted Friday, by the way.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Good to see KQ scoring top spot in HypoMeter on this site.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

nomadsoul - 11 March 2015 07:31 PM

i was just noticing the same. And how rightfully so.. as people continue to lose their minds over the hype Tongue

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

As one of the few people who enjoyed Mask of Eternity and who got bullied for that I agree with the OP: give King’s Quest a chance. There was once a platformer based on Lemmings universe, and a pretty good one.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

This forum is starting to feel like a dive bar whose clientele is separated between happy drunks and mean drunks.

The happy drunks are slapping the other users on the back going “buddy, let me tell you about this game! I *hic* looooove this game, man. I LOVE IT!”

Meanwhile, the mean drunks are looking bitterly into their drink decrying the impatience of youth. “These kids today, they don’t understand that reward should come from HARD WORK!”

I definitely bounce between these two mind sets but not so much with King’s Quest. As the picture starts to clear up on what form this game will take, I’ve become confident that the developers are approaching this game with nothing but respect for the series. Ken and Roberta wouldn’t help promote the project otherwise. Need I remind you that Sierra tried to do the same thing with Al Lowe during the development of Magna Cum Laude and Lowe kindly told them to GTFO. Crazier still is that even after that there were plenty of Larry fans who liked Magma Cum Laude.

I don’t know yet if this game will be entertaining but it’s obvious that King’s Quest is in a better position than recent franchises that were handled by people who didn’t care about the originals like Thief. That’s pretty good for a series M.I.A since ‘98! Smile

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2014-08-20

PM

Look,
King’s Quest, for whatever reason, is a series that has ALWAYS elicited strong emotions. I used to read the Usenet archives back when they were functional. There were people back in 1990 crucifying KQ5 for dumbing down the adventure genre. There were people who tore KQIII apart, thinking it had nothing to do with KQ, with the map dumbing down the gameplay…Until they reached the plot twist.

Like Advie, I grew up with King’s Quest. It was the first PC game I ever played, now twenty years ago, and I was 5 when I began to play it. It couldn’t been no later than June of 1996 that I started playing it because I graduated Kindergarten in June of 1996 and I can remember being in the Toy Shop in KQ5 and the Toy Maker mentioning “Kinder” and my father referencing how I was in Kindergarten and helping me figure out what Kinder and Kindergarten meant. I started with 5, and immediately fell in love. Obsession really, and the buying of KQ6 and the ‘94 Collection ensued.

My dad made me a doll of King Graham—which an ex unfortunately threw out on me—and playing those games with him are actually some of my fondest memories of my father from my childhood. The games also taught me how to type and taught me in part how to read. They opened the door to fantasy and fairy tales for me; I probably wouldn’t have honestly gotten into more sophisticated stuff like Harry Potter or LOTR if not for KQ.

My favorite games in the series will always be KQ4, KQ5, KQ7 and KQ1SCI. KQ6 was great but I’ve never enjoyed Alexander as a protagonist. I didn’t mind KQ8, but it wasn’t handled correctly. But despite the action and gore, it still had that “it”, that magical feel that only King’s Quest has.

This game has that it. But more importantly…It’s not a slasher. Or a platformer. It is a sequel, and it also pays heed to the earliest games; to things we loved in the series. Rather than being forced to kill, you are given moral choices, as in the earliest KQ games. You can kill, and be brave, or not kill and be compassionate.

King’s Quest always imparted the lesson to not kill unless it was absolutely unavoidable, and to help others, for helping others would help you. The early games taught us the first message in a rather direct way: You didn’t get full points. This game is doing it in a more sophisticated way, in that the choices you make will effect the plot later on, which is probably how it would’ve been done today if KQ1 was released now.

The gameplay may be a tiny bit different…But it isn’t the radical overhaul that KQ8 was, or the lack of interactivity that later Sierra adventures like Phantas were. Nor is it The Walking Dead.

My attitude is this game could be good or bad and I honestly wouldn’t care. If it’s good, and my feeling is that it will actually be GREAT, that is good. If it’s not..Who cares? It’s only a game.

But for the first time in over a decade I’m genuinely excited about a game. And from what I’ve seen already, this game so far more than lives up to the name, and for me, is King’s Quest. The Quest I’ve been waiting to undertake again since 1998.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

zane - 11 March 2015 07:37 PM
nomadsoul - 11 March 2015 07:31 PM

i was just noticing the same. And how rightfully so.. as people continue to lose their minds over the hype Tongue

It’s not the hype that makes those people lose their minds. Crazy

The game is certainly deserving of top spot at the moment. It’s fully in the mainstream spotlight, and the response seems to be overwhelmingly positive. Including from me. I’ve played all the KQ games but have no particular affinity for the series, so I really didn’t care much personally when the reboot was announced. The more I see and hear of it, though, the better it sounds.

I’d have been totally fine with a knockout P&C adventure, but as others have mentioned already, that really wouldn’t be in the spirit of King’s Quest, which was never to rest on formula and tradition.

King’s Quest is dead. Long live King’s Quest!

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2014-08-20

PM

Do you guys think this game has potential to be a mainstream hit?
Everyone I’ve shown it to—people who have NEVER played an adventure game—think it looks awesome and want to play it.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

The Kings Quest series is incredibly dear to me as well. King’s Quest: Quest for the Crown was one of the very first games I ever played, I think I was 8 years old at the time, and it remains one of my fondest gaming memories.

Just like Advie, Kings Quest helped me learn English. My parents gave me an English dictionary and I set out on adventure! I still remember one of the first things I learned was the phrase “pick four-leaf clover”. It was the first game I played where you could directly control your character and walk around in an open world. That was super-amazing at the time, I’d seen nothing like it before! Soon after I also acquired Space Quest 1, Police Quest 1 and Leisure suit Larry 1, and I’ve been playing adventure games passionately ever since.

Kings Quest gave me my first adrenaline rush while gaming, when that wolf appears on one of the screens, my heart was racing Tongue The series has also inspired me to draw and paint, Kings Quest 5’s backgrounds in particular has been a big source of inspiration.

While I’m keeping my anticipations in check, I’m slowly beginning to get quite interested in the new Kings Quest. At first, I thought it’d be more like an interactive movie with little to no puzzles, but fortunately that doesn’t seem to be the case. I demand to get stuck at least once! Tongue Hopefully there will be many head scratchers, but my main concern atm is the level of exploration possibilities, but as I said before, I wouldn’t dare getting my hopes up on that one.

Advie - 11 March 2015 05:38 PM

i read this article today talking about the one of the puzzles Graham would face, and i liked!

Cool! I didn’t want to read it, I don’t want to risk spoiling the puzzle, but it sounds really promising that you’re this excited about one of the games puzzles. Judging by the amount of text behind the spoilertags, I can only assume it’s a complicated multi-step puzzle, or so I hope Smile

PS. I’m glad we have a new Kings Quest thread Smile When the other one was closed, I realized this is actually the game I’m the most interested in at the moment, and it felt bad not having a thread to discuss it Tongue

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think this new KQ definetly has potential to be a mainstream hit. The game looks deliciously good and the gameplay looks fun and well balanced.

If the game ends up being good, then the existing interest could result this to be a decent hit.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Jackal - 12 March 2015 12:11 AM

It’s not the hype that makes those people lose their minds. Crazy

i maintain that its the fact its called kings quest thats causing people to go crazy and get upset. Whether its also in fact a good game is another story Wink 
Im cautiously optimistic.. but am now avoiding any more trailers and puzzle descriptions.. it could be another year before we see the full season.. i dont want to get sick of it before the first episode even comes out.

As for being mainstream: it clearly has a ton of potential… *everybody* talked about the announcement, including people who dont play the genre… it already is mainstream. So if they just keep it together and make a good game, its going to sell very well (regardless of whether the adventure community thinks its “true KQ” or not) Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Yeah, new thread!
I think the game is looking promising and has is showing the potential to use some of the more modern aspects of adventure games (interface, more cinematic, choices) but with the own classic KQ staple (fantasy world, characters, puzzles) moving the genre forward.
Kind of like when KQ started using the point-and-click interface it was its own thing and stayed true to the series despite having its own limitations.
I do still have some reservations due to the episodic nature that will probably only be addressed later
Still, I only played the whole series last year so I don’t the same knowledge and emotional attachment to the series as a lot of you.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Dance Magic Dance - 12 March 2015 01:45 AM

Do you guys think this game has potential to be a mainstream hit?
Everyone I’ve shown it to—people who have NEVER played an adventure game—think it looks awesome and want to play it.

Reminds me again of the thread of graphics matter in AG??

This is another example, the art direction and water color look in 3d space is really
appealing, gravitates towards Ghibli and Zelda.

It was Sands of Time as much as the original King’s Quest games that my mind kept returning to as I recently watched the gorgeous King’s Quest in motion, and that connection alone is enough to warm my heart and leave it open to the scenarios that developer The Odd Gentlemen—and creative director Matt Korba—are concocting.

One of the few AGames with detail put into graphics and art that matches AAA or AA caliber.
Not a single preview not mentioning how beautiful graphics are, rest of the other positives will follow to make it a hit.

But as wilco said my only concern is Episodic nature which hurts the tempo, still good
for listening to complaints and making few amendments.

Also,

“Classic” describes King’s Quest on the whole, actually, though you shouldn’t assume that Korba and company are just trying to copy the old games and hoping we won’t notice. Says Korba, “I look at this the way they redo The Wizard of Oz, or Peter Pan. It’s this cherished, loving thing, and this is our take on it. We’re not throwing out the canon that they already established. We’re fitting our stories between those, or taking bits of those and reimagining parts of it.” With luck, a new generation can venture to lands in 2015 that captured this old heart so many years ago.

I like this approach more of not hurting the main canon.
There were always re-imaginings like Sandsoftime, and some like Deusex HR or upcoming SH/P.T.
Not close to perfection of original, even their originals were holy grails for franchise lovers, still new Devs made the connection and did something on their own.

As someone mentioned here already, atleast its not Thief case, which IMO was worst
re-imagining , took the main IP, stripped off all the hardcore stealth and climbing with
new lore and story , making Garret a joke.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Matt Korba’s interview,

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/cz2f70/king-s-quest-gdc-2015—bringing-the-quest-back-to-life—interview-

- Puzzles don’t follow dream world logic, they are more realistic.
- Multiple paths, you can avoid puzzles.
- Hint system is based around Narrator helping you.

Multiple paths , Hype +3.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

Just to say a couple of things about already mentioned importance of graphics in advenure games or games in general. Ofcourse that the graphics are important but unfortunately it seems to me that these days they are all that is important in a game, and that tells a lot about your average gamer these days. It is not a surprise that a lot of people who dont usually like adventure games will like something with shiny graphics because to a lot of people that is what matters these days, and why people who dont like adventure games will probably like something like The walking dead or this remake and not the Blackwell games or similar stuff.

Personally I dont have a problem with this remake at all, it looks like it could be an interesting game. I was never a big fan of KQ but I liked the first 3 games. If they have chosen that they will go on this path and not make a traditional adventure game that’s fine as long as the game is good, because that is the most important thing and not how many puzzles the game has or is it made in 2d or 3d. I have to mention Brothers again, a game that is not a traditional adventure game, yet it made a lasting impression on me and I still remember the ending that brought tears to my eyes, and that never happened to me in any game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top