• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Black mirror 2/3

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Is there a point to playing them if I disliked the first game?
Specifically, do they have:
- Sections where you have to just wait for time to pass?
- Completely illogical puzzles?
- Any dead ends?
- Cheap smart cursor-induced deaths?
- Pixel hunting?
- Forced backtracking?
- Padding, like mazes?

Bonus question: if 2 suffers from the same afflictions and 3 doesn’t, does it make sense to play only 3?

Thanks.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I can’t say I was a huge fan of BM2 either. I disliked BM1 quite a bit, but as far gameplay goes BM2 was a bit better. Not a great game though. I’ve never botherd with BM3.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Antrax - 04 March 2015 12:06 PM

Is there a point to playing them if I disliked the first game?

Perhaps - Personally I liked the second one much more than the first.

Specifically, do they have:
- Sections where you have to just wait for time to pass?

Not as I recall.

- Completely illogical puzzles?

If you count slider puzzles to open secret doors, then yes. But I believe they can be skipped in easy mode.

- Any dead ends?

No

- Cheap smart cursor-induced deaths?

No - But it is possible to die.

- Pixel hunting?

There is a hotspot finder.

- Forced backtracking?

Depends on what you mean?
Like all good games, it takes place in a relative open area which you will need to explore, and in many cases revisit place you have already been before.

- Padding, like mazes?

I don’t consider mazes padding but puzzles in their own right, and yes there are at least one maze.

Bonus question: if 2 suffers from the same afflictions and 3 doesn’t, does it make sense to play only 3?

Absolutely NOT!

Thanks.

You’re welcome.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

What I mean “illogical puzzles” are instances like having to toss random items into the open tomb to open a path in BM1. I’m fine with inorganic puzzles, as long as they make sense, at least in hindsight.

Re: forced backtracking, I don’t remember the specific quest, but at some point in BM1 you had to run back and forth between two characters. This was clearly designed, unlike the fact that you’re likely to miss some stuff when playing a game so your normal progression would sometimes take you back.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

I`ve actually played them backwards and the first one was the worst, so you should definitely played them, the third one at least is great !

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

you again? forget about BM and just move on, its one shitty game/series, alright?

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

Advie - 04 March 2015 03:56 PM

you again? forget about BM and just move on, its one shitty game/series, alright?

Even the third one ? Come one man…

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Abnaxus - 04 March 2015 04:51 PM
Advie - 04 March 2015 03:56 PM

Even the third one ? Come one man…

you speak alltounge, eh? Content
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/1294/P30/#37668

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I prefer the second and third game to the first one though the first one has its charms too. But if you consider only the playability, the sequels are way ahead. Everything about the gameplay is better. There is no waiting or weird illogical puzzles. I think most of the kinda roadblocky ones made sense too. BM 2 and 3 and rather easy to play and definitely smooth as hell. So if you were only bothered about the gameplay issues in the first game I’d recommend continuing with the sequels.

I don’t think there is any reason to only play the third game. Together 2&3 make a whole. And while the third one is perhaps better than the second, the difference is minimal, no reason skipping half the story.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

I’ve always thought the Black Mirror series was really good. I actually bought the first one about 10 years ago, played the first chapter and never played it again until about a few months ago. I guess I found it a bit slow. However I played 2 and 3 when they were released and loved them. Especially the second one. Three suffers from a bit of a rushed ending, and in my opinion a lacklustre final section. I definitely recommend playing the series if you’re an adventure game fan, and I recommend playing the first one first (even if it’s not as good, and sometimes a bit boring).

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

The first is worth a playthrough for the atmosphere, but I’d avoid the sequels. Bad writing, even worse characters, and stock standard generic adventure puzzles. Then again, some people around here like all those things.

My advice - call it quits now!

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Oscar - 04 March 2015 08:45 PM

........avoid the sequels. Bad writing, even worse characters, and stock standard generic adventure puzzles. Then again, some people around here like all those things.

Yes! I do! Laughing  But, for me the 1st game is the best despite some of it’s shortcomings - it’s definitely the most atmospheric!

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

Just finished the trilogy again. So worth playing and coming back to years later. The first is more of a prelude—less polished than the other two, but most atmospheric. The second and third make one story. I don’t think the puzzles are too easy or too hard, and the games are quite forgiving. And best part, the second and third always had me feeling like I was in danger.

The whole series is an atmospheric journey with the right amounts of both psychological and supernatural horror, and bloody without being a gore-fest. Always left me with a sense of dread and anticipation for what was next. The locked-room section of the second game—in the bomb shelter—was especially eerie and memorable.

Samuel was kind of an ass, but Darren, although a bit annoying at times, really played a great skeptical-yet-haunted hero. I’d say it’s my favorite horror series (don’t count GK as horror—more supernatural mystery).

Simply put: Not many games—or even a full series—can keep me feeling like I constantly was looking over my shoulder, yet admiring the beautiful, atmospheric scenery (and clicking every hotspot). Black Mirror I, II and III did it pretty much the whole time.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

It has been too long since I played them to elaborate any more on the details, but to sum things up a bit:

If you liked the story in BM1 but disliked some of the game mechanics, then there is a good change that you will like BM2 and 3, as they are far more streamlined and polished in the gameplay department, though still not perfect or without things that might annoy you.

If you hated everything about BM1, then odds are that you will also not like BM2 and 3, as they are similar, though not exactly the same as the first game.

P.S. BM2 is far better than BM3 in every single aspect!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Iznogood - 05 March 2015 05:16 AM

P.S. BM2 is far better than BM3 in every single aspect!

greatest interaction features and more possibilities, every single spot has up to 3-4 different descriptions, and they are fun and somehow innovative, and above all makes your journey once you ve missed a 2nd or 3rd description at a locations so much fun to revisit them. I seriously declare that no one know BM more than me!, I wasn’t playing those games while I am on their’ replays but I was studying them, taking snap shot of Willow creek location and comparing it to the original, to see how between the years and the transformation from Future Games to Cranberry it had shown it new values and the feeling of the times (13 years) which are concerning the game production time inbetween as they represent also the time passed between the two stories from the 1st to the 2nd/3rd,.
lets take a drift and look at blackwelll final part, was those part would have been great on it own or was it the GREAT because it was how it represent an extraordinary settling for the whole series; I say this because I know you like Blackwell, and that might help you get my idea, Black Mirror 3 got gripped me in way I remember witnessed before while watching Angelheart or Blade Runner or even Fightclub, some magic was there (yea this game come from Arcadia) that cant be explained (since I am no Shifter)..

ppl always complain the last 2 chapters at BM3, were useless not needed, as the story seems like it already had been totally shut down since the 4th finished, but I still see those two chapters are good as whole experience, a laydown, more explanations to what we have missed through the whole series, I think the devs thought the players needed it, since there where so many aspects that never had been given the chance to be answered…I can go own and starts sharing snaps and puzzle shots and some smart tricks I admired but I wont… I explained my point.

but one last thing, its out un-appreciations and foolish repose like this to BM2/3 is what lead Cranberry to go for the disaster casual (in a way) TLcoZ .

and one more last thing, ppl should appreciate the game/work that reeks of hard work and dedcations even if they didn’t sadly enjoy it, I never liked Pink Floyd, but I never said they suck or anything, its was in them me finding out my soft heart is not able take it, was too much for me , Point-made/Period

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2009-04-20

PM

Been a long while since i played them. But my personal experience was that BM1 was enjoyable albeit dated, BM2 had big graphical improvements & i liked the games open feel at the beginning where you could go where you wanted (the protagonist took some getting used too). BM3 was enjoyable, pretty similar to BM2 but more linear & it dragged really badly towards the end.

I ‘personally’ liked BM2 the best of the three. And enjoyed the series overall.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top