• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #32: Toonstruck

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Esc jumps the intro in my version.

Also, Flux is cool but he is no Spot in usefulness (but at least he has some funny snide comments about the annoying Cuteopians)

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Lady Kestrel - 09 March 2015 05:36 PM

This is my first time playing the game.

LUCKY YOU! Angry  Tongue

Bogi - 06 March 2015 06:19 PM

Good idea to use reaching Zanydu as a checkpoint Wink

I was “worried” about the fact that some players could do more while reaching Zanydu, and other less, but the difference is insignificant, which is always a nice thing for a playthrough.

wilco - 09 March 2015 01:36 PM

Funny how remember some stuff (like the half-irish/half scottish bartender, the footman) but others are like I’m playing for the first time.

Yeah, I played Toonstruck about 4-5 years ago the last time, and now I’m finding some of the dialogs totally new to me. That’s probably because of the two facts: The dialogs can drag a bit at places (don’t worry, it’s no The Longest Journey), and there’s a great deal of various characters. What’s more important - they’re incredibly well designed. I always remember how some review said that Toonstruck tries too hard to be classic, but I’ve alway felt different - it’s such a relaxed tribute to cartoon philosophy, spanning the references from “Acid trip” 90s cartoons to Disney and Max Fleischer.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Well, I can’t save my games, and I don’t know what to do to fix this.  F5 brings up the save game screen, but no matter what I type in, it’s gone when I go back to save again.  Does anyone know the trick for this?

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lady Kestrel - 09 March 2015 07:11 PM

Well, I can’t save my games, and I don’t know what to do to fix this.  F5 brings up the save game screen, but no matter what I type in, it’s gone when I go back to save again.  Does anyone know the trick for this?

Found this related to your problem:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=10161&sid=a6f637c21fac839bc4b8680e39fc468b

But not a lot of help in there, maybe this quote can help:

It works for me, but I can get the behaviour you describe if my Save Path setting points to a folder which doesn’t exist and which ScummVM can’t create. Could that be it?

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I finally figured it out, Wilco.  I hadn’t selected the correct path.  I was going to Options instead of Edit Game.  I chose Save Path, which allowed me to select the saved game folder I made in my TS folder.  Fortunately, I had only visited a couple of places in the town center, so I don’t have to repeat much.  Onward!

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

That’s good. Don’t forget that Escape or Space Bar for skipping dialogue and right-click to instantly jump to next screen. Saves a lot of time.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Love the Manual bit about hints (it’s basically “Adventure games for dummies” but still a fun read):

If Toonstruck is your first adventure, we’re very sorry. You probably should try to get out more. There’s not much we can tell you. However, if it’s your first game adventure, or you’re feeling as if your progress through Toonstruck is as slow as molasses in June, please keep the following easy suggestions in mind:

1. Look closely at everything: Clues are sometimes staring you right in the face, so forget your manners (like you had any to begin with): stare at everything, touch everything and familiarize yourself with all possible exits. If there’s a loss of cabin pressure, Halloween masks will drop down.

2. Be nosy! Go ahead! Grill everyone you come across about anything that pops into your pretty little head. Request information on every possible subject under the sun and all the objects in your possession. Broach a previously discusses subject, if you want. (You’ll know fast enough if you’re barking up the wrong three!) Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

3. Save your game regularly: This game’s tricky and one way to stay ahead is to not fall behind. Save your progress…however pathetic.

4. Keep notes: This game is humongous, spanning several wild locales and countless personalities (and personality disorders.) Be sure to note crucial information and clues for later reference.

5. Use the cursor to search: Move the cursor over objects that may be of significance to search for “hot spots” with which you can interact later.

6. And….Remember to floss.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

So far the voice acting and animations in this game are top notch. I just love when adventure games reward you for solving a puzzle with a beautifully rendered and hilarious cut scene. It just makes the feeling of accomplishment much more satisfying. Also Doc Brown should have been in many more movies:)

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Do you have a paper manual, Diego?  Mine came in a 2 CD jewel case without anything else.  I could have gotten a boxed copy from the UK, but I didn’t want to wait that long for it.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Lady Kestrel - 10 March 2015 12:25 PM

Do you have a paper manual, Diego?  Mine came in a 2 CD jewel case without anything else.  I could have gotten a boxed copy from the UK, but I didn’t want to wait that long for it.

I still have my manual Lady K.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Jabod - 10 March 2015 12:44 PM

Paper manuals are usually much more fun than dry read-me files.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Lady Kestrel - 10 March 2015 01:22 PM
Jabod - 10 March 2015 12:44 PM

Paper manuals are usually much more fun than dry read-me files.

I was actually wondering if you wanted some info from the manual but I’ve just read back and seen Diego’s post about hints (that came from page 13 of the manual Smile ) and now understand why you were asking.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Thanks, Jabod.  I think I have a handle on everything for now but it’s nice to know I can tap you as a resource if I need to.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Ha!  I think it’s neat that when the block of ice melts in the conversation bar, the dialogue is finished.  Also, I like the organ jokes in the pub. Wink  I assume I’ll have to come back to the pub later to catch the bratty little moose.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

You can start the next playthrough chapter:

You have 5 days to reach the next objective - enter the Big Bad Wolf’s lair. What?! Oh, yes, you’ll DEFINITELY know when you reach it. Grin Don’t worry if you’ve already fallen behind (or haven’t even started the game) - this part is short, and I’m giving 5 days so that everyone can easily catch up. I’ve also added the playthrough schedule in the opening post, so you can check the tempo.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top