• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #32: Toonstruck

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

And… I finished the game. Turns out after the portion I was stuck in, I didn’t have much left to do. This game is one of the biggest surprises for me. I think it ranks in my top 20 if not top 10 adventure games of all time. Also why isn’t there a sequel?  Cry

I really loved the puzzles in the room where you get the glasses. Ever so close yet so far. It is classic toon humor

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

SoccerDude28 - 01 April 2015 02:06 PM

[spoiler] I really loved the puzzles in the room where you get the glasses.

And my favorite tune in the game. Smile

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Heh.  The study looks so tidy in the video.  The funny thing is, I haven’t discovered yet why I need the glassesCool

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I just finished finding the carecrow an outfit. It took seven tries. My favorite refusal was the Bishop’s costume, which the carecrow refused because he thought it was for a woman. I also think he would have looked cute as Santa Claus, but apparently it wasn’t to be. I’m glad he got to enjoy the correct costume. For one perfect second in time before the deluge of evil.

I’ve been using the hole. It hasn’t actually been useful yet, as it’s made the trips longer rather than shorter, but it’s entertaining.

I watched the credits and was surprised to see this:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game story described as a screenplay before. Apparently, that’s how the writers thought of it at the time. They assumed they were creating a feature-length cartoon with puzzle-based interactions in it.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

And… I finished the game. Turns out after the portion I was stuck in, I didn’t have much left to do. This game is one of the biggest surprises for me. I think it ranks in my top 20 if not top 10 adventure games of all time. Also why isn’t there a sequel?  Cry

If the 2nd half had been nearly as entertaining as the first, it may have made my top 50.

I don’t know why it faded so badly. It was like they changed the development team halfway through. Or maybe a dark castle could never live up to bright and sunny Cutopia.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Oscar - 02 April 2015 12:01 AM

If the 2nd half had been nearly as entertaining as the first, it may have made my top 50.

I don’t know why it faded so badly. It was like they changed the development team halfway through. Or maybe a dark castle could never live up to bright and sunny Cutopia.

I liked the second part, smaller but it had more interesting puzzles and a clearer goal instead of collecting 12 random objects. And it still has lots of cutscenes.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I’m with Wilco on this one. I thought the second part was more focused and the puzzles were more clever. I do believe that the ending was rushed though after the longest mid-game cut scene in adventure history (I bet it would win the Guinness World Record for that Tongue).

The first part actually turned me off playing the game the first time around. It was too vague and obscure at the very beginning of the game, tasking me with finding 11 random items. I had no idea what to be looking for, and was just going through the motions. I got stuck not knowing how to get to Zanydu and gave up on it. It wasn’t until I tried things at random in the cutifier, and found a match that things started to make sense. After that, it was really fun trying to look for stuff that matched their counterpart (especially when play on words were used.)

Edit: I did feel the ending was rushed though. There was no big encounter with King Hugh or Nefarious, and it just threw me back in the real world before taking care of them.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I also love first part more than the second, but I don’t think it took anything from the overall game enjoyment - simply because of one reason: When I first played the game, and after that long cutscene, I was expecting the game to end. To my amazement, I found out it’s only middle of the game, and everything came as a bonus. Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

diego - 02 April 2015 02:34 PM

I also love first part more than the second, but I don’t think it took anything from the overall game enjoyment - simply because of one reason: When I first played the game, and after that long cutscene, I was expecting the game to end. To my amazement, I found out it’s only middle of the game, and everything came as a bonus. Wink

That’s because the second part doesn’t have king hugh in it, isn’t it? Tongue

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I think it was a mistake taking away Flux. His quips were the funniest part of the game. During the second half I forgot Flux even existed and I was thinking ‘something’s missing, this feels different’. I know they needed an incentive but saving the real king would have been enough. Or they could have had us save Flux quickly and then get on to stopping the malevolator.

The cutifier puzzle was fantastic, though I never needed to figure out what item I needed to obtain until I had everything, except with the sole. I kept thinking ‘what goes with heart?’ until it struck me.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Woo-hoo!  I finished the game, and I didn’t mind the ending at all, except I had hoped that Flux would appear in the office and punch Drew’s boss in the nose or somehow cutify him.  Aside from having too much leftover inventory, I really enjoyed the whole thing and am so glad I could join this playthrough.  Thanks for leading it, Diego.  You done good!  Thumbs Up

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Oscar - 02 April 2015 08:45 PM

The cutifier puzzle was fantastic, though I never needed to figure out what item I needed to obtain until I had everything, except with the sole. I kept thinking ‘what goes with heart?’ until it struck me.

There was also spit and polish, where spit was not the act of spitting but rather the skewer.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I just finished the cutifier puzzle. The part I was stuck on was the bells. I kept putting “whistles” first in the phrase and nothing was surfacing that would work.

I loved the long video after the puzzle was complete. So good to see my judgment of Fluffy Fluffy Bun Bun’s character was not amiss. She is now even more intriguing.

I am discovering a sneaking desire to see Nefarious win. Or maybe Drew could take over for him as the chief villain.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

B. B. Wolf - Not really the Malevolander, but guards the border. “Elegant”, “sophisticated” and bribeable.

B. B. Wolf’s guests - “Ahh, they’re dogs wolfs! And they’re playing poker drinking wine!”

Bouncer - Don’t call her a “guy”! (Also, what beast is that?)

Robot Maker - “A walking cliche! Except he’s on wheels.” (and sounds like Christopher Walken)

Seedy - Anyone else thinks he looks like Popeye?

Pins - “More sweet, friendly… rabbits!”

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m enjoying Nefarious’ palace(?) quite a lot. Wreaking havoc (or wrecking for short) is so satisfying. I’ve outwitted the carnivorous fish and the carnivorous plant and the carnivorous crocodiles (not that it was that difficult with the crocodiles). I now need to outwit a carnivorous mammal, and I’ll have the animal/plant kingdom covered. Is Nefarious carnivorous, I wonder? I’ll bet Fluffy Fluffy Bun Bun is.

I was surprised to hear so much classical music in this game, and then I remembered that a lot of the earlier cartoons used classical music as background. Maybe the music here is a reference to that.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top