• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 27 February 2015

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Mudlarks (2014) is a Freeware game originally intended to be a commercial release. 
Mudlarks is a historical term for people who scavenged the mud banks specifically of the river Thames (in London UK) for anything of value that they could sell. 

In this modern day tale of people who have kept up the tradition, you control Winston in this 3rd person perspective game to investigate an interesting & valuable object found & dropped by his friend Vincent shortly before he suddenly disappears in order to find clues as to what happened to him.

Although the photographic backgrounds vary in quality, the animation is mostly terrible with disproportionate figures in places & there is no voice-acting there is a charming sense of reality about the characters, dialogue & genuine locations. Game-play wise it was a little frustrating as you have to do everything in the right order to trigger the actions that you know you need to do but the game is well worth trying as it does have a fascinating, thoughtful & very engaging story! It’s also better than a few commercial releases I’ve played recently!
N.B. The game does include language that some players may find offensive.   

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I’m going to have to go back to this. Played it when it first came out but there’s a timed puzzle in a church that I couldn’t complete because my mouse was playing up. Since I have not only a new mouse but a new PC I’ll drop it into my “to play list” (which is rather large at the moment).

I quite enjoyed the character set-up once I got used to it. Seeing Winston sort of slide/flip-flop around was quite amusing. The worst bit for me was the time taken to get back to the map when you needed to move elsewhere. Bit frustrating that. Certainly one of the better freeware games out there though and well worth a bit of time spent.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Jabod - 27 February 2015 02:43 PM

I’m going to have to go back to this. Played it when it first came out but there’s a timed puzzle in a church that I couldn’t complete because my mouse was playing up.

If you got that far are you sure your mouse was playing up? For the most part I thought the puzzles were quite good but that was from what I remember one of the very few stand-alone ones. I thought it was pretty terrible as there was no indication that it was timed & after the 1st audible sound to indicate you’d clicked in the right place there were none after that to know whether you were doing right or wrong. Thankfully it was the only puzzle of it’s type in the game!

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

chrissie - 28 February 2015 03:08 PM
Jabod - 27 February 2015 02:43 PM

I’m going to have to go back to this. Played it when it first came out but there’s a timed puzzle in a church that I couldn’t complete because my mouse was playing up.

If you got that far are you sure your mouse was playing up? For the most part I thought the puzzles were quite good but that was from what I remember one of the very few stand-alone ones. I thought it was pretty terrible as there was no indication that it was timed & after the 1st audible sound to indicate you’d clicked in the right place there were none after that to know whether you were doing right or wrong. Thankfully it was the only puzzle of it’s type in the game!

Perfectly sure Chrissie. Every now and then the mouse pointer decided it would do it’s own thing rather than what I wanted it to do. Could cope quite easily when I didn’t have to do anything specific (actually, even then, it was just mildly annoying) but when I had a limited amount of time then it became impossible. Not the game’s fault of course, although that puzzle was the second worst, as far as I had reached anyway. Worst being a pixel hunt right at the start on the banks of the Thames. But I’ll definitely be going back to it. I want to know the ending which is the sign of a decent game.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Jabod - 28 February 2015 03:53 PM

I’ll definitely be going back to it. I want to know the ending which is the sign of a decent game.

Yes! I couldn’t leave the game alone & thought the ending was worth it!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top