• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Outcast

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I really don’t know how OUTCAST was never talked in here. It is a great game, an adventure game (some actions), and one of the best games ever produced. The GOG recent released is a show. If any one wants to play a good game, you should try OUTCAST. I don’t know why it never get a review here.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Outcast is one of those titles that everyone always praises a lot, but which I’ve never managed to get into. Ages back I borrowed it from a friend, but I never did play it that far, as something about it just didn’t manage to reel me in, despite I’ve always liked the style of gameplay it offers.

Maybe it would be time to give it a new spin now, that the 1.1 versio has improved controller support and what not.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

Hmm I don`t think it`s an adventure game, more of an RPG with action elements (although a great game nonetheless).

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Although a moderator moved this thread to “General”, I still think Outcast is an adventure, with some elements of RPG and Action. But, in it’s essence, is an adventure and deserves being at least review here. My point of view…

[Edit: based on the rules of what AGs thinks of an adventure game (http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/17547) I think OUTCAST can be perfectly fit into it.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

We have discussed it here on occasion, most recently with the unfortunately unsuccessful Kickstarter (and a couple mentions with the new updated version on GOG and Steam). It’s definitely a classic, and groundbreaking in many fields, like its open-world stuff, its action and shooter elements, and even just stuff like music and, well, even stuff like water animations (were incredible at the time - I remember just being in awe of them).

Whether it’s an adventure or not… Well, I consider it an action-adventure. It’s one of those tricky mix-genres that kinda deserves its own genrefication.

Either way, it’s still absolutely worth playing especially for the low price, and there are many things in it still that modern games have a hard time matching.

On a side note, I’ve come to recently notice that a lot of movies etc. use many of the (I assume free-to-use) sound files that Outcast used for stuff like grunts and jumping and whatnot. I always associate these sounds with Outcast so almost ever week I hear in movies these little reminders of the wonderful game Grin (They didn’t use the Wilhelm scream, though, as far as I know…)

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I moved your thread, because I have played Outcast and it’s most definitely an action-adventure. Not sure why there would even be any debate about that.

I also think its reputation as a “classic” far outweighs its actual quality, but that has nothing to do with why I moved it. Tongue

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Ok Jackal, I understand your point. So, even if we agree that OUTCAST is an action-adventure game, it’s still a great and one of the best games in its “adventure” elements, like story, puzzles, dialogs, sound, music and others. I just think that not having a review here just not make justice to a great game. I still think it has more adventure elements than action and deserves at least a review here, since PORTAL (1 and 2) were more action than adventure, to my taste, and they got reviewed here. But I let you to decide.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

One of the best open world(maybe the first) ag ever and remake worthiest a real shame that Kickstarter remake project failed.Hope they find necessary funds and make a big come back someday.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top