• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

How important are graphics to you in an adventure game

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I think people are way too harsh towards the stories in those interactive movies. They might not be the best thing ever written but saying that they are utter crap (like many people seriously do) seems to come from some deep place of hate.

I don’t really understand why bash the plot of Blackwell either. Oh so a ghost story is unbelievable in your eyes? No shit Grin.

These stories are fantastical and they are supposed to be. I personally don’t mind the playstyle of interactive movies or visual novels, or casuals or any hybrids of these. They are the playstyles chosen by the creators and in many occasions they suit the game fine. I mean if it’s only about the gameplay I prefer L.A.Noire’s to the one in The Wolf Among Us and Blackwell’s to Beyond’s but both TWAU and Beyond are great games in my book and I can’t be sure they would be if the maker’s had tried more conventional adventure approach and possibly wouldn’t even have done a good job with it.

TWAU btw has amazing graphics and awesome music/voice acting. I love it. To the Moon has a great story but the graphics are what they are (I mean I’m fine with the old school RPG look but it’s nothing to be praised) and the gameplay is hardly anything more than a regular visual novel. Still it’s a 5 star game and I don’t think anything needs to be changed. It doesn’t need amazing (hi-res) graphics and complex puzzles.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 23 January 2015 05:06 PM

Really , spooks, spiritual energy, people turning human from ghosts etc.
It was cringe worthy TBH, wonder what caught your attention.

Cage’s script atleast convinced Page and Dafoe, and atleast Ellen was a saving grace not to mention the connection they made in the end, very plausible and theoretically possible way better than epiphany endgame.

BW epiphany also had VAs straight from streets, they love reading lines verbatim without
any pause, emotion or texture.

And the gameplay you talk about is not different from moving cursor on Desktop to
click and sort window icons. In that sense all those hidden object games are revolutionary.

One of the rare occasions where i am actually happy that games like BW don’t sell more than Qdream’s game.

No way it was cringe worthy, at first I thought is was going some type of “Ghost Whisperer thing” but Rosangela and Joey are excellent and relatable characters and their arc through the episodes is engaging. Most of the side stories and mythos are also well constructed and it all relates to the character development of the main characters. Art style and story might not appeal to you (Hey, Gemini Rue is also much more my kind of stuff) but it was a quality series, full of great little details.

Beyond on the other hand was full of cringe worthy stuff like the Navajo stuff or war scenes Meh  . I like most of what Cage is doing but Beyond felt too bloated and disjointed with little vignettes going all over the place. Side characters like the FBI boyfriend were also mostly a waste. I’m not saying the game is crap and it’s still worth but it has lots of problems and its rechnical achievements are sometimes its saving grace.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I agree that the story and world in Blackwell series definitely feels more whole than in Beyond, Beyond is more of an experience, but a good one. I even liked the extra “puzzle” chapter btw. They could’ve implemented more of that into the real game too.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

wilco - 24 January 2015 09:37 AM

Beyond on the other hand was full of cringe worthy stuff like the Navajo stuff or war scenes Meh

WTF was that!??  Grin   Grin

:-D

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Renacimiento - 23 January 2015 10:42 PM

I have read so many things about Beyond and Heavy Rain, some say they are awesome, others that they are just movies in which there is little you can do, etc, etc.

Personally I’ve only played Fahrenheit and although it is a sort of hybrid with adventure / action and despite its flaws,it seemed amazing to me as few games and I enjoyed it very much. And I hope someday when I finally can play Heavy Rain & Beyond they can be as deep in terms of story and content (as it was Fahrenheit) and I think they will be.

I really enjoyed Fahrenheit too Renacimiento, thought it had a great story, graphics were lovely & it had some interesting aspects such the ‘stress meter’. But even though I completed it I found the difficulty level set way too high for some of the ‘physical’ challenges even on easy mode which for me did interrupt the flow of the story.

I also enjoyed Heavy Rain but there’s probably another 15 hours of game I’ve missed because I failed some of the ‘action’ parts.  It’s possible that I might like Beyond or the Portal games but I’m now put off trying them as I don’t want to waste my money buying games that have a focus on action sequences that I either don’t enjoy and/or can’t do.

Interestingly I played one of the Silent Hill games many years ago on ‘Adventure’ mode which eliminated most of the action scenes – it was very boring & highlighted just how little content there was in the game!

Yes, all of the games mentioned have wonderful graphics but they have a lot of money invested into their development because the market for games with action is far larger than for ‘purer’ adventure games!  All games in my mind should be judged on their individual merit & not in comparison to others unless they’re very similar in most respects!

N.B. Why would anyone who finds the premise of a series of games cringe-worthy either play or check-up on the 5th in the series ??????

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

millenia - 24 January 2015 09:41 AM

I agree that the story and world in Blackwell series definitely feels more whole than in Beyond, Beyond is more of an experience, but a good one. I even liked the extra “puzzle” chapter btw. They could’ve implemented more of that into the real game too.

I also liked part of it and enjoyed the experience. I’ll still be there day 1 for next Cage game, but this one was a bit of a misfire.
btw, what was the extra chapter, can’t remember it…

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

chrissie - 24 January 2015 12:45 PM

I really enjoyed Fahrenheit too Renacimiento, thought it had a great story, graphics were lovely & it had some interesting aspects such the ‘stress meter’. But even though I completed it I found the difficulty level set way too high for some of the ‘physical’ challenges even on easy mode which for me did interrupt the flow of the story.

I also enjoyed Heavy Rain but there’s probably another 15 hours of game I’ve missed because I failed some of the ‘action’ parts.  It’s possible that I might like Beyond or the Portal games but I’m now put off trying them as I don’t want to waste my money buying games that have a focus on action sequences that I either don’t enjoy and/or can’t do.

Interestingly I played one of the Silent Hill games many years ago on ‘Adventure’ mode which eliminated most of the action scenes – it was very boring & highlighted just how little content there was in the game!

Yes, all of the games mentioned have wonderful graphics but they have a lot of money invested into their development because the market for games with action is far larger than for ‘purer’ adventure games!  All games in my mind should be judged on their individual merit & not in comparison to others unless they’re very similar in most respects!

N.B. Why would anyone who finds the premise of a series of games cringe-worthy either play or check-up on the 5th in the series ??????

I understand what you say Chrissie regarding the “physical” challenges, I also had trouble overcoming several of them, particularly I remember one of those where we were in the apartment and the “wind” makes many of the objects begin to come to us as a kind of attack, I remember how frustrating it was to overcome this stage. I think for those like of us who enjoy the adventure aspect more than anything else these challenges are really hard. (Although I must admit that I liked some of them( although they have not really been challenges in the strict sense of the word.), such as when we played the guitar, just because It allowed us relaxing a littl bit of that reality without this make it impossible our progress in the story).

And I think there’s the key, if these “challenges” are there to give an interesting or different aspect to the game; or if instead they are there just to not let us continue. Which is somewhat unfair.

I remember when I failed many times in some of these obstacles I thought “ok, I can’t do it .. I just can’t, please do not wanna try this anymore” .. “let me get on with the story.” So.. Im sorry to hear that you could not finish Heavy Rain, just for these “obstacles”, that’s unfair, I believe. So I completely understand your reluctance to deal with Beyond.

But despite all this I agree that I liked the “stress meter” and story in general, graphics, and music all that it became a really deep experience and very good game overall.

they have a lot of money invested into their development because the market for games with action is far larger than for ‘purer’ adventure games!

It’s true. Sad but true.

Which Silent Hill? I enjoyed the first 3 a lot, (love them) the story is so twisted, deep and emotional than most. But it is true, are more action / horror a little of adventure but not in large quantities.

Comparisons are difficult, and the only case in which it makes sense is if we are talking about really similiares games, otherwise it is impossible, there are games where certain aspects prevail over others; especially if we compare games that are hybrids between action / adventure with another purely adventure, compare them is impossible and unfair (for both).

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

nomadsoul - 23 January 2015 05:06 PM

Really , spooks, spiritual energy, people turning human from ghosts etc.
It was cringe worthy TBH, wonder what caught your attention.

You’re talking over half the adventure games here, probably much more. I find it hard to think of even a few adventure games which don’t involve the supernatural.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Beyond is more of an experience, but a good one. I even liked the extra “puzzle” chapter btw.

I would have to agree to this completely. I enjoyed the game - much like I enjoyed the FMV games of the ninties - some of which like Gabriel Knight 2 are classics.

Beyond was a best selling game and was played by a wide audiance.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

wilco - 24 January 2015 04:13 PM

btw, what was the extra chapter, can’t remember it…

It was included in the CE at least. It was a training course in the “academy” or where ever and basically it was just operating Aidan’s powers to get through different kind of obstacles.

I find it pretty hard to believe that someone couldn’t get through Heavy Rain btw. There is the ‘easy’ option which really is quite easy and the game continues even if Ethan gets jailed or some of the main characters get killed.

Beyond is easier than Heavy Rain anyway, I’m not sure one can really mess anything up in there. Your Jodie will just end up with more scars and the “fights” will perhaps take a bit longer (which was also the case in HR - some of the craziest scenes could be seen only if you messed up).

But I get that the play style still can feel hectic and uncomfortable. Fahrenheit is clearly the hardest one of these though. So many places where to end the game and tons of spots where you have to hit the buttons to perfection. The left-right bashing especially annoyed me to hell. For the non action parts I really liked the controls though, like in all these games.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I also enjoyed Heavy Rain but there’s probably another 15 hours of game I’ve missed because I failed some of the ‘action’ parts.

millenia - 25 January 2015 09:47 AM

I find it pretty hard to believe that someone couldn’t get through Heavy Rain btw. There is the ‘easy’ option which really is quite easy and the game continues even if Ethan gets jailed or some of the main characters get killed.

My original comment about Heavy Rain I can see now was misleading - I did complete the game but it turned out to be quite short for a PS3 game because I either made the wrong choices and/or failed action scenes - it’s a while ago I played it but got the feeling when it ended that there was a lot more game to be had I done better in it hence my comment about missing out on more hours of game-play! - or maybe it is a relatively short game?

millenia - 25 January 2015 09:47 AM

Fahrenheit is clearly the hardest one of these though. So many places where to end the game and tons of spots where you have to hit the buttons to perfection. The left-right bashing especially annoyed me to hell. For the non action parts I really liked the controls though, like in all these games.

EDIT: I’ve just re-read your post millenia & I agree with Fahrenheit being hard & about the ‘button-bashing’ (I hated the ‘Simon Says’ sequences!) but I don’t remember there being other places to end the game (unless you mean game over?) - I associate the many places to end the game with Heavy Rain? 

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I Fahrenheit it was about game over yes, the bad endings as far as I recall were all equally long.

Heavy Rain probably took me 13 hours unless I remember it totally wrong. The experience might vary a lot depending what you do. If you kill off some of the characters you will obviously miss the future scenes with them. And I think if you get caught twice as Ethan, you’ll stay arrested. But then again if you make some right choices, you will miss out some really sick fighting scenes. So you probably get the longest and best game experience by messing up a bit here and there but not letting the characters get killed.

If you don’t like QTE at all be sure to just pick the easy option, it’s a lot easier than the normal one. And I think it was possible to replay a chapter if you seriously wanted to go back, so there’s basically an autosave in the beginning of each chapter.

I personally enjoyed the game graphics a lot. And the more serene moments were great, also considering gameplay. And I might already be recognised as the perv on these forums but I still have to say that not many games open as strongly as Heavy Rain -> leading your handsome male protagonist into the shower. Crazy

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

millenia - 25 January 2015 06:51 PM

if you make some right choices, you will miss out some really sick fighting scenes.

Thank heaven for that. When I tried Fahrenheit the first scene/puzzle/whatever was of me killing someone in the public bathroom. That was enough to make me uninstall and cross Quantic Dream off the list forever. I don’t think adventure games should have that kind of stuff. Yuck.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Renacimiento - 24 January 2015 08:07 PM

Which Silent Hill? I enjoyed the first 3 a lot, (love them) the story is so twisted, deep and emotional than most. But it is true, are more action / horror a little of adventure but not in large quantities.

Sorry Renacimiento, I overlooked your question - I think it was Silent Hill 2. I played the 1st one which was not my scene really but found it intriguing enough to buy the 2nd. I would agree with your sentiments as far as the 1st goes but found the 2nd too focused on the action as on eliminating most of that by playing on ‘adventure’  there really wasn’t a lot of content as already said - it was boring!!  Smile

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Zifnab - 25 January 2015 07:17 PM
millenia - 25 January 2015 06:51 PM

if you make some right choices, you will miss out some really sick fighting scenes.

Thank heaven for that. When I tried Fahrenheit the first scene/puzzle/whatever was of me killing someone in the public bathroom. That was enough to make me uninstall and cross Quantic Dream off the list forever. I don’t think adventure games should have that kind of stuff. Yuck.

Really?  What you’re describing was the entire premise of the game as I had heard it.  (You wake up in a bathroom with the body of a man that you apparently killed—but you don’t know how or why this happened—and you need to find a way to get out of there without getting caught.)

Why would you even buy the game if the premise bothered you so much?  It’s not a game about killing people.  It’s a mystery. 

But unfortunately that mystery has a really stupid answer.  And the combat system was REALLY was hard, and not fun.  I’ve played a lot wider range of games than many adventure gamers, but I still couldn’t beat the final battle in that game.  I tried a bunch of times before finally giving up and never seeing the end.  But I wasn’t digging the plot at all by that time, so it didn’t seem like too much of a loss.

Still though, if a story-based game is made so difficult that I can’t reach the end no matter how many times I try, that’s really poor game design.  Especially when there are practically no other games I’ve been unable to beat in this way, adventure or not.

Thankfully though, Heavy Rain took a big step forward in both gameplay and story.  It still had its problems though.  The only fight scene in that I lost was with the police detective, and it appeared like my guy was just knocked out.  I played through the entire game waiting to get back to his story only to realize that the detective had died in that fight.

That really should’ve been a lot clearer at the moment it happened.  It’s very anti-climatic to retrospectively learn that your character died a long time ago.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top