• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

ASA - Remastered Edition

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

To think that originally they were orange… I should have not changed! ^^

As you can see here on pages 19, 20, 21
http://issuu.com/the_icehouse/docs/asa_artbook_web01

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

If you think that ASA is too expensive, or if you plan to buy the DVD edition, you could be interested in the following contest:

If the questions are too difficult, ASA will also be too difficult haha!

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

For the moment we only received 2 emails! There are still a lot of chances to win ASA Remastered. If you are not sure of the answers, they are very easy to find in the latest articles on TheIcehouse.fr
It’s too bad if we don’t have enough challengers!

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

I was always interested in this game but never got around to trying it.  In all honesty first person perspective puzzle based games with a myst type interface format aren’t really my thing, however i fell in love with J.U.L.I.A. recently.Great game! Great story!  Is ASA similar?  It seems to be from what I can tell. I think I will have to give it a try now with this hd re-release.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Hello everyone,

I don’t know if some of you are looking for more details about ASA, but I have just written a News article on the Black Cube blog (blog.theblackcube.fr) following the release of the game.

The main matters I talk about:
- no gog release
- the self-published DVD
- a critical bug with savegames
- decisions for my future projects

You can find the details here.

Thanks for your support before and during the release of the game, and if some of you have bought ASA, I hope you liked it, and thank you very, very much for your purchase.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Simon_ASA - 31 March 2015 05:01 AM

The main matters I talk about:
- no gog release
- the self-published DVD
- a critical bug with savegames
- decisions for my future projects

I’m still not clear on whether GOG’s decision was based on the technical issues with saving (or other technical issues) or whether they simply didn’t like the game or didn’t think it would sell based on Steam’s sales.

Would it make any difference if there were more votes for it on the GOG wishlist?
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/asa_a_space_adventure

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

It’s a matter of sales. As they say in the email I received: ASA didn’t perform well on Steam (it’s true), and as a result they believe that it will not perform well on GOG.
They’ve added that they’re trying to limit the number of releases on GOG, in order to provide visibility to every game, and as a result they need to be selective and focus on the best titles only.
It has nothing to do with technical issues this time (or at least they don’t talk about it).

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Simon_ASA - 31 March 2015 12:22 PM

They’ve added that they’re trying to limit the number of releases on GOG, in order to provide visibility to every game, and as a result they need to be selective and focus on the best titles only.

This is exactly where the Adventure Gamers Store can make a difference (and I see that ASA is the second-best selling game there at the moment). Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I have read an interview with GOG a while back, that what they want to do with their store is to keep it like a boutique. They will only approve a handful of games that they deem worthy, and that way, they can give them more time to be visible on their website, and not run through the problem of having lots of shovelware. The only problem with this approach is that some good games will never have a chance of showing up on their website. Although steam does have some crap showing up, I do like more their Greenlight process with all its problems. Democracy over Monarchy, and if a game is in a niche genre, and it has enough people wanting to play it, let them enjoy it I say.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

GOG already has a crapload of average/bad games. If they deem ASA unworthy, they should also be removing around half their catalogue which is worse than ASA.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 31 March 2015 05:19 PM

This is exactly where the Adventure Gamers Store can make a difference

Yep. I bought it.

(and I see that ASA is the second-best selling game there at the moment). Cool

What is the best-selling game and how is the AG store doing?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Thanks for your kind words everyone, it’s really nice to read you.

This is exactly where the Adventure Gamers Store can make a difference (and I see that ASA is the second-best selling game there at the moment).

It’s amazing!

I don’t know yet exactly if ASA made good sales or not on the Adventure Gamers Store, but I can say for sure that I am truly happy that this store exists. The idea to have a store dedicated to adventure games (where AAA & indie are almost equals), where the public knows exactly why they come here, and what they will buy, is really interesting.

On Steam or GOG, people are not always aware of what a point & click is, and it is very difficult to explain what a “1st person slideshow game” is exactly. There are a lot of players who never played Myst, who don’t read the description of the game, and who just buy it on its reputation. A good “reputation” is usually synonymous with having a lot of good reviews on famous sites - and the general videogame press usually writes reviews only about games that are already famous (vicious circle), so small developers really have to fight in order to succeed (I’m not complaining ^^).

GOG already has a crapload of average/bad games. If they deem ASA unworthy, they should also be removing around half their catalogue which is worse than ASA.

Talking of my game probably makes my opinion not objective enough, but I have to admit that I agree, and there is something I don’t totally understand with GOG’s decision. If you think of it, GOG (as “Good Old Games”) should be the better placed to sell games like ASA. They have quite a lot of Myst-like games and 3rd person adventure games, and plenty of pixel/retro games, and it would seem logical to accept more of these.

I was wondering if the fact that I manage my business alone, and without a publisher, would not be the true reason behind their choice. Being a freelancer, with an uncertain future, is probably not very good for them. I mean, they probably prefer to rely on games managed by strong societies, which would avoid all kinds of troubles in the future. This is something they probably take into account when they deal with indie developers, and some of us indie studios are more reliable than others. GOG/Steam and others don’t only think about the quality of a game, and probably look further. What do you think?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

GOG hasn’t been “Good Old Games” for a while now, despite the acronym has stuck. It’s obvious that if they could, they’d push out more AAA games, which is understantable as that’s where the money is.

And a simple truth is, when you look GOG top selling games, the old games that really sell there are those that are more or less universally considered to be “the best of the best”. There’s a lot of old titles there that haven’t really climbed anywhere from the bottom of the list, no matter how long they’ve been there. It’s very noticeable when some famous old game gets there, as they tend to be in the top 10 for weeks, where as some lesser known, really good titles don’t even manage to be there in their release day.

If they’d release a game like Doom there tomorrow it would propably be a top selling game for months.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Oscar - 01 April 2015 12:23 AM

I agree they have worse games.
I think it’s more about bias against the 1st person point-and-click sub-genre than the actual quality of the games.
GOG has many games with mediocre ratings or less.
But it doesn’t matter how bad something is as long as it sells.

I suspect that many of those who had a preference for the 1st person point-and-click adventure games of the mid-to-late 1990’s and early 2000’s have given up on gaming by now. The dry period has been too long—even longer than the dry period for 3rd person games in the mid-to-late 1990’s to early 2000’s.

I’m disappointed in GOG. The only recent 1st person games they sell have 3D movement (unplayable for anyone who gets motion sickness from FPS-style movement). And with one exception (Return to Mysterious Island), GOG doesn’t even have the 1st person adventures that were made by Kheops. Nor do they have Shivers, though they sell 3rd person games made by Sierra. They sell new retro-style 3rd person games, as well they should. But they reject new retro-style 1st person games even when they come available.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I suspect that many of those who had a preference for the 1st person point-and-click adventure games of the mid-to-late 1990’s and early 2000’s have given up on gaming by now. The dry period has been too long—even longer than the dry period for 3rd person games in the mid-to-late 1990’s to early 2000’s.

Indeed. I’m one of them.I have the original ASA game. I will look into the remastered version.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top