• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04KeybordzLady KestrelTheTMDwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #31: The Whispered World

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Welcome everyone in the Whispered World Playthrough!!  Laughing

The Whispered World is a traditional point n click 3rd person 2D game, developed by Daedelic Entertainment and published by Deep Silver in 2009. It is quite a mystery how it was not chosen in the Top-100 games of all time. It still holds the No5 spot in my personal Top-10 adventures.

In early 2014, Daedalic Entertainment announced a sequel, titled Silence: The Whispered World 2. It is one of the most anticipated games of 2015, with groundbreaking pseudo 3D graphics and it is expected to be released in the first months of 2015. What an excellent time for this playthrough to take place! Smile

This is the story of Sadwick, a sad clown child within the fantasy world of Silentia. Along his journey, he will meet many characters, friends and enemies. He will always be accompanied by his best friend, a giant shape-sifting caterpillar named Spot (one of the most loveable sidekicks of all time). All these within amazing hand-drawn 2d graphics that still have no equal (sorry Bill) and an excellent soundtrack that you will remember long after you finish the game. Some riddles are hard, but nothing that could not be solved by an experienced gamer. For Christ’s sake, some of us just came from Discworld. The game’s overall difficulty is “above average”.

It is a game played exclusively by the mouse, using the familiar coin technique. Sadwick has the option to use the “mouth”, “eye” or “hand” options to talk/eat, watch details, touch/take respectively. Also, an inventory screen that opens with the right button of the mouse and you can interact with items in there for any inventory puzzles, etc. Nothing groundbreaking here. And here is where Spot comes….
Spot is more than just a sidekick. His multiple transformations (which will be revealed along the way) help you in many riddles, often with hilarious results. He is perhaps the biggest comic-relief in the game.
Another element in the game is that Sadwick has a unique comment for almost every item combination you try. Though slightly less than Edna&Harvey; in quantity, there are many funny quotes hidden there.
While the voice acting is excellent for the grand majority of characters, many people find Sadwick’s performance in the English version somewhat of low quality. Not to worry. The German voice acting is much better! Smile
The story of the Whispered World is one of it’s greatest aspects and it will be one that will probably stick to your mind for a long time. It is not a funny story. This game is more of a serious fairy tale with funny touches here and there. It works magnificently.

Now let us meet the main duo:

Sadwick: This 12 year old clown travels with his circus family from town to town. He is a sad, lonely boy who actually does not want to be a clown at all. He wears dull clothes: a brown-grey cowl with appropriate fool’s cap. His only friend is Spot, a caterpillar. Against the advice of his brother Ben and his grandfather, Sadwick wants to explore the world and want to be an adventurer. And that’s where the problems begin….  Although he wants to solve the world’s problems, he feels unprepared, small and insecure. Even whilst solving small problems, he has severe cases of anxiety. Also, the avatar of diego for a long time.

Spot: The giant, green caterpillar Spot is Sadwick’s best friend. Spot follows Sadwick continuously. He helps him by solving problems. Throughout the game, Spot’s various shapes will be revealed and many times you will have to use more than one in very smart ways. In total difference of his master, Spot is always with a smile on his face. It seems that almost nothing bothers him.

I sincerely propose the Special Edition of the game, which can be found almost everywhere. Not only it offers you the whole language package, but an alternate ending and a whole lot of interesting commentary from the developers as well.

The game consists of 5 chapters (There are 4 actually, but the last is a big one and can be easily divided in 2). I believe that 10 days per chapter will result in a “normal to fast” pace playthrough that will be enjoyable to everyone. Of course the pace can change according to the needs of the participants. We will begin in the 6th of January, giving everyone the time to aquire the game and solve any technical difficulties.

Whoever is ready to play (has the game, got it running), please confirm.

Finally, the usual and necessary request for everyone to stay on topic, use spoiler tags whenever needed and be in a good-heart spirit in our general attitude.

EDIT: Ready to be pinned.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I bought TWW in a GoG sale earlier in the year & I’ve just looked to see that I’ve got the SE! I’m downloading it now & hoping to join in with the playthrough as I haven’t played the game before! I’m not sure whether I’ll be able to keep up which is why I didn’t join in with the voting but hoping I’ll find the time!

N.B. where did ‘pepperzip’ come from? I downloaded the bonus artwork etc & ‘pepperzip’ turned up to open it - I wouldn’t mind but I have to pay to upgrade it & I’m not paying for a game to have to pay extra to an additional program to unlock the bonus material!

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Installed and ready to go.

Sefir - 02 January 2015 03:59 AM

Some riddles are hard, but nothing that could not be solved by an experienced gamer. For Christ’s sake, some of us just came from Discworld. The game’s overall difficulty is “above average”.

It can be a difficult game. It will be interesting to see how hard I find it this time. My first play I had a lot of trouble with the inventory puzzles and the lack of clues, and I remember resorting to using everything on everything sometimes.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Zifnab - 02 January 2015 05:56 AM

...I remember resorting to using everything on everything sometimes.

At least the result was some funny quotes I guess!!  Tongue

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Special Edition installed on Steam and good to go.

I only played the demo from this game. 
Seeing the game made me remember the whole bad brain entertainment saga at the time before it fanally released… Then it was stuck in backlog and never got around to play it.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

That image was my second choice for the first post. Ultimately, I decided to go for a more original one. Glad you posted it though!

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Special Edition installed and ready to go.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Installed the Special Edition, and tested it.
I’m good to go! Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Special Edition installed and tested. I’m good to go!

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2006-04-07

PM

I like both your choices regarding the pictures, but I feel that diego’s is more in tone with the weather outside.. Brrrr..

I’ve never played the game so this is going to be totally new to me.
I’ve got my copy of the Special Edition loaded up on Steam and ready to be played. Let’s kickstart this new year in adventure gaming with my first CPT.

I can’t seem to put the game in widescreen. Is there any “native” way of doing this? In full screen mode I cannot change the resolution and if I disable it, the maximum resolution is 1024x786. It’s not that much of a problem, but of course I would prefer it without the black borders on each side.

Nobody knows what is gonna happen at the end of the line, so you might as well enjoy the trip.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Yep, got the special edition installed through Steam so should be good to go!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

wicked - 02 January 2015 08:38 AM

Is there any “native” way of doing this? In full screen mode I cannot change the resolution and if I disable it, the maximum resolution is 1024x786. It’s not that much of a problem, but of course I would prefer it without the black borders on each side.

This happens if you try the in-game options menu. Along with the game, I also downloaded a program called “Visionaire Configuration Tool” (search for it in the TWW installation folder). There the windowed maximum resolution is 1366x768.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

chrissie - 02 January 2015 04:54 AM

N.B. where did ‘pepperzip’ come from? I downloaded the bonus artwork etc & ‘pepperzip’ turned up to open it - I wouldn’t mind but I have to pay to upgrade it & I’m not paying for a game to have to pay extra to an additional program to unlock the bonus material!

I’m sorry chrissie, but I can’t help here. Sounds like a compression tool. Have you tried to use Winzip or Winrar instead to open those files?

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I guess i’ll make do with the Deep Silver disc release I bought when it came out in 2010.

No Special Edition for me.

I guess it means I don’t get the alternate ending and have to put up with Sadwicks annoying voice in English Frown

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Lucien21 - 02 January 2015 10:19 AM

I guess i’ll make do with the Deep Silver disc release I bought when it came out in 2010.

No Special Edition for me.

You know you’ll regret it when you’ll start reading all the positive comments of the German Sadwick, etc… Wink

On the other hand, I was always fine with English Sadwick.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top