• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04CaliMonkchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Big Adventure Gamers “VS - There Can Be Only One” Tournament

Poll: Would you like to have a group stage before direct knock-out duels?
Total Votes: 32
Group stage before the direct elimination duels
Immediately start with the knock-out rounds (128 - 64 - 32...)

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Caliburn - 15 January 2015 12:31 PM
Sefir - 15 January 2015 06:06 AM

Poor 1st person Adventure games…no love…. Frown
(Tex excepted. He seems to fight quite well.)

I used to visit the AG forums in the 2000-2003 range, and even in those days the forum membership as a whole seemed slanted toward fans of third-person adventures over fans of first-person adventures. (By third-person and first-person adventures, I mean the sub-genre of gameplay style, not just the visual perspective that we’ve sloppily come to name those sub-genres by.)

I’ve thought for a long time that the whole categorization of Adventure Games has been sloppy!
Look up an AG on any site & it will include RPG’s & Casual Games & if you don’t have any idea you will end up buying a game you weren’t expecting & really don’t want!

It would be nice to start with to eliminate RPG’s & Casual Games from AG lists (except for those that ‘fall between the line’)
Next it would be good to just focus on the categories of Adventure games which would be so helpful to all of us that love them along with the style of graphics & theme e.g.

3rd person perspective focused on inventory puzzles – cartoon, pirates
3rd person perspective focused on stand-alone puzzles – realistic, detective
1st person perspective puzzle-focused solitary exploration – realistic, sci-fi
1st person perspective – feels like a 3rd person perspective with lots of cut scenes to show your character puzzle orientated or inventory based?
1st person perspective interactive experience
Etc, etc, etc – they’re just examples & I’m sure that someone could categorize all of this better than me!!!! AGs deserve this rather than being bundled in together with other genres!

I think Tex Murphy gets a pass in the tournament partly because it plays and feels so similarly to what people expect from the third-person adventure sub-genre, even though it is played from a first-person perspective. So basically I’m saying I think you are right, and there is a bias.

Is that because he’s a character that you get to see, identify with & care about as opposed to being the protagonist that in some games could be you yourself, an unknown character or a named one that you just can’t identify with?  Yes, I agree there does seem to be a bias but as a player who veers towards 3rd person perspective games there are quite a few 1st person perspective games that I really like & also perhaps weren’t included in nominations (that I forgot about myself) that I may have voted for!

SoccerDude28 - 15 January 2015 01:06 PM

.......... Another separate point is that nostalgia can skew results sometimes. Not only was I a different person back in 1994 when I played my first adventure game, my mental state back then was probably different, so I might have loved games then that if I played now wouldn’t impress me as much.

Ah! But my thought was that equally you could forget about how much more a game played in the past impressed you than the alternative you voted for as it’s fresher in your memory! 

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Just as I expected Tex is leading by considerable margin in its duel and I would go so far to even predict a final between Pandora Directive and Grim Fandango, in fact I’m quite sure that would be the case Smile

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Release years of games that advanced to R16:

1990 - 1
1991 - 1
1992 - 1
1993 - 2
1995 - 2
1996 - 2
1997 - 2
1998 - 1
1999 - 1
2000 - 1
2002 - 1
2009 - 1

Looking at this it’s interesting that there are only 2 games from 21st century and that half of the games are from 93-97 period. In fact there is a constant of 11 years with at least one adventure with exception of 1994 (which was rather transitional VGA to SVGA year) with only Beneath a Steel Sky and Under a Killing Moon as real standouts.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Which game is from 2009? Machinarium? It lost in R32.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

diego - 21 January 2015 10:46 AM

Which game is from 2009? Machinarium? It lost in R32.

Shame on you!!

Get back to the The Whispered World playthrough!!

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I thought it’s an English-speaking forum. Tongue It’s from 2010.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

diego - 21 January 2015 01:27 PM

I thought it’s an English-speaking forum. Tongue It’s from 2010.

A puny excuse. 2009 was the time it was first presented (German language is still a language, isn’t it? Tongue).

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

R.I.P. The Dig & Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Cry

I already had to say goodbye to Phoenix Wright and Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon in the group stage, and now two of my other 5-star games have left the tournament… Meh

Still 4 left among the final 16 games, but so far it looks like another two of them are going to get bumped. Frown

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 122

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

Say there’s a voting contest between four games. Let’s label them by letter, A, B, C, and D.

Game A is matched against B, more people vote for Game A so it advances.

Game C is matched against D, more people vote for game C so it advances.

In the final match between A and C, most people vote for C so it wins the whole thing and is crowned the champion.

But what if in a contest between C and B, B would have won? Does the fact that more people voted for A over game B, and C over game A, necessarily mean that more people would have voted for game C over game B, especially if the previous voting had been close?

Say instead the voting contest is over fruits and 5 people are voting.

The first voting is between apples and oranges. 3 people like both but slightly prefer apples so they vote apples, 2 people really love oranges a lot more than apples so they vote for that. Apples wins.

The second voting is between kiwis and grapes. 3 of the people (including the 2 who voted for oranges in the other poll) vote for kiwis because they slightly prefer kiwis to grapes. The remaining 2 people vote for grapes, not because they really like grapes, just because they hate kiwis so much. Kiwis win the vote.

The final vote pits kiwis against apples. The two people who voted for grapes vote for apples. The other three vote for kiwis.

Kiwis wins the entire contest despite the fact in a voting contest between it and oranges (which was skipped) it would lose.

I presume this effect would increase in probability the more fruits we had per voting group, making any such voting system unsound?

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

What you’re asking for is the league system, contrary to the knockout tournament. The world cup in football is played in knockouts, while the domestic tournaments (Bundes Liga, Premier League…) are played in the league system, meaning everyone plays everyone.

In your example, game A would be paired with B,C and D, game B would be paired with A,C and D, game C would be paired with A,B, and D and game D would be paired with A,B and C, and the one with the most points wins, but that’s just a hella lot of work.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

And that’s why there’s nothing official about any of this. It’s just for fun. Wink

Besides, that’s how sports tournaments work as well, you know.

Back in my table tennis days there was this one time that I went to the yearly provincial championships for players in my grade and I was one of the favourites that year (the only time that ever happened - I moved up in grade later that season). There was only one player that I knew in advance that I couldn’t beat (a guy with a much higher grade that had been on hiatus for a while and dropped significantly). The final should really have been him against me. The Random Numbers God drew me against him in the first round (of 128). Exit TimovieMan.

Shit happens.

We can’t have all 128 teams facing each other, there’d be 5778 games. Even with 64 teams, there’d be 2016 matches. Compromises need to be made somewhere…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

That’s why we also had a group stage that determined the seeding for further knockout rounds.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

pretttty predictable top 8. Was hoping we might get more surprises. I suspect grim fandango will win it… or maybe monkey island 2.
Also have to consider pandora directive as a serious shot at it…. And honestly i think in a lot of venues it wouldnt… but this forum is very pro tex (me included).

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Most interesting matches and surprises were durng R64 and R32 rounds. I followed them with quite an interest.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Placement of games that didn’t qualify to the knockout rounds:
(Many thanks to TimovieMan and Caliburn)

134. Pepper’s Adventures in Time - 10

133. In Memoriam (aka MISSING: Since January) - 13

132. Drawn: The Painted Tower - 13

131. Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor - 14

130. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - 14

129. Penumbra: Black Plague - 16

128. Amber: Journey’s Beyond - 16

127. Gold Rush! - 17

126. The Feeble Files - 24

125. Amnesia: The Dark Descent - 25

124. Spycraft: The Great Game - 26

123. The 7th Guest - 26