• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Big Adventure Gamers “VS - There Can Be Only One” Tournament

Poll: Would you like to have a group stage before direct knock-out duels?
Total Votes: 32
Group stage before the direct elimination duels
Immediately start with the knock-out rounds (128 - 64 - 32...)

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Yes you can Mr Underhill, just give it 7 points.

And all who vote, please be encouraged to discuss your votes at the group threads. Thank you all very much for participating!

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Yes you can.

Bogi - 16 December 2014 08:35 PM

Then it’s decided, maximum number of games that can be awarded points to in one group is 5 and the minimum is 1 (zero actually Grin ).
But each member in her/his voting post must state a number of games that are voted for and follow the points formula 7 (5, 3, 2, 1) depending of the number of games voted.

Nice work Bogi.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The Overview thread is up!
It’ll be stickied for as long as the tournament is running, and is a quick shortcut to any relevant threads in the tournament.

After completion of this thing, I’ll unsticky it, but you’ll be able to find links to the overview thread in the Recommendations thread.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Thank you badlemon, much appreciated!

Thanks Tim!

Well, that should be all for now, I’ll try to add game descriptions ASAP in the meantime please vote whenever you think you are ready (and if you have time discuss your votes), because there’s no turning back Smile

Kudos to Zane for breaking the ice Smile

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

This thread moved a bit fast so I’ll move a couple comments I made in edits into a new post instead.

If you’d like, Bogi, you can create countdown timers here:
http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/create

Set the Location of Event as UTC and check the box that says “Stop countdown at zero”

Caliburn - 17 December 2014 07:14 PM

Bogi can confirm, but I think Bogi’s conclusion was yes. I’ll update my mock instructions with this.

Hmm, it turned out that it made the instructions look wordy/complicated when clarifying about the fewer than five games possibility. So rather than update my mock instructions, I’ll just post the best sentence I could come up with quickly here:

You can choose fewer than five games, just give the max points, e.g. 7,5,3 if you only choose three games.

I’ll let Bogi figure out how to explain this. Suggestions welcome. Or we’ll just let people figure it out and they’ll probably get the idea eventually. :)

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Ouch, some people seem to not have read that so the ratings are all over the place. Godspeed who’s doing the tallying, you’re doing the Lord’s work,

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Yeah, just to clarify, I don’t have any control over the actual instructions in the threads; I merely posted some suggestions for wording which Bogi used to add instructions to the threads. Bogi himself will have to update the instructions if he feels they need to be clarified.

By the way, Bogi, once we get out of the group stage and onto the one-on-one knockout rounds, do you think an online poll creator like http://www.polljunkie.com/ would be helpful?

As you and TimovieMan and I discussed, in the R64 round we’re going to need to vote on 32 matches of 2 games each, and I believe the forum software only allows for one poll per thread.

Using something like PollJunkie would let you place 32 poll links in one thread, or 4 poll links each in eight threads, or whatever you’d like to do, without the need for you to manually tally a whole bunch of votes.

PollJunkie seems like it might be a good website for this because:
1) It’s free and there’s no need to register
2) It seems to only allow one vote per computer (though we should test this)
3) Creators can make their poll “private” (meaning non-searchable, so that only those with the link will find it)

Here’s a test poll (Vote HereView Results Here) just so you can quickly see what it’s like for voters. If you think it might work for your purposes, I recommend you try creating a poll yourself to see that part of the process.

I guess one potential downside of using a link to a poll on another site is if people might be a bit less likely to make forum comments after they vote, which is part of the fun. Embedding the poll would be better but I don’t think the forum software will allow that. Also, voting by forum reply (rather than poll checkbox), while a pain to tally, does make threads feel full of activity and enthusiastic energy.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Great work on this, Bogi!

And I love how the start of the next round will be a nice Christmas present for us all.  Grin

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Thank you Detective, that was sort of idea Smile

@Caliburn

We should probably do it like that, thanks for suggestion. Is there any way for us to have results graphs displayed in the opening post?

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Bogi - 18 December 2014 04:39 AM

Is there any way for us to have results graphs displayed in the opening post?

Not that I know of, unfortunately, since the PollJunkie poll’s Javascript code cannot be embedded in a forum post (for the sake of forum security).

So only a clickable link like the View Results I have above will work. And of course, people will see the results automatically after they vote.

Incidentally, the other shortcoming of using a service like PollJunkie is that “one vote per computer” isn’t a perfect protection against ballot stuffing. I can vote on my laptop and then again on my iPhone, for example. So voters would be on the honor system to some extent.

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I think in that case, it would probably be better to have public voting and maybe reconsider having single match per thread from the round of 16.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I’m relatively new to these forums, but from what I’ve read around here I think it’s safe to go with the honor system, after all it’d be a little bizarre to cheat your favorite AG to the top   Grin

Hey, here’s an idea: not that I’m a gambling man, but how about a betting thread on who’s gonna win? And I just realized that’d give everyone a reason to take advantage of the honor system, oh well… Or could it be that everyone would pick the same one game? Hmm, I wonder… Wink

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

When do we get more rounds with more games to vote on? This is fun!

Also; once this is all over - how about a similar thing in the general gaming forum, to determine the best game of all non-adventure games?

Total Posts: 1666

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

Toefur - 20 December 2014 12:48 AM

Also; once this is all over - how about a similar thing in the general gaming forum, to determine the best game of all non-adventure games?

Yeah, or we can start this all over again, maybe the outcome will be different…

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Toefur - 20 December 2014 12:48 AM

On Christmas Eve voting for groups A-H will be over and we will continue with the groups I-P until New Year’s Eve Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top