• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cage Match#2 (The Greatest of the Great)

Poll: DotT vs GF
Total Votes: 25
Day of the Tentacle
Grim Fandango

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

December/18-Thursday, 23:10
Grim Fandango Wins!

Score for the record:-
Day of The Tentacle :10
Grim Fandango :15

———————————————-

DotT vs GF.

Those two are mostly the most concurrent matter for players and venues as being the greatest adventures of all time, sometimes one comes ahead of the other, but I think it always comes to seeing sorta con toward one instead of seeing privilege toward the winner .

anyways, its fun to put them alone into this ‘Cage Match’ without any other competitors and see how it goes.

I broke the comparison (just an idea) into 5 main points, so judging (even if you have a previous, ready answer) can be somehow objective.
.. but i think anyone can break it into any number of points he/she likes, by adding or replacing.

Graphics/Animation : DotT always appealed to me more than GF, I am a sucker of cartoony outlooking adventure.

Design/Gameplaying : as much as how smart and innovative every thing about GF seem better, but the controls (by-it-self) always gave me the creep, especially when I think about replaying it.. so again goes for DotT .

Story: of course ‘imo’ the story of GF has to win, revolution and stuff. Grin

Music/Audio : GF ‘here’ is much more ahead of DotT .

Puzzles : I can say its a ‘tie’ but GF puzzles had always been one of the greatest reference for many ags that came afterwards even untill today.

Image Attachments

Day_of_the_Tentacle_artwork.jpg

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

GF>FT>MI>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DoT

I can understand why people dig cartoony style of DoT, but it has nothing what you cannot
find on Cartoon Network in terms of art design, humor and maturity.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I think since ags budgets has never been good enough to create realistic enough adventures/worlds, we have gotten attached to what could always be executed and presented best.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

For me this was an easy decision. Grim Fandango is a much better game than DotT.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Grim Fandango is pretty much unbeatable in story/art/music but I always really liked DotT for the time-traveling puzzle design and wacky nonsense premise and characters.

These are really 2 games that I want to replay when they release next year, it’s been at least 10-12 years since I played any of them.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

DotT wins. As great as GF is, it’s a fairly straightforward non-groundbreaking classic. DotT’s intertemporal puzzles using three protagonists is what makes it amazing. The way it makes you think in terms of making changes to history and their effects on the future is different to any other game. Also, DotT doesn’t have anyone as annoying as Glottis!

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Neither, Monkey Island 2.

But, when looking just these two, it’s close, but DotT is a winner.

I never found anything groundbreaking in GF, although people tend to think otherwise.

Still both of these games are masterpieces of the craft, yet they lack that certain pinch of fairy dust Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Graphics/Animation: Extremely close. Both games are amongst the best, but are so different from each other that it’s hard to pick a winner. The fun cartoony style vs. the great backgrounds and paper mache early 3D figures? DotT wins by a very narrow margin.

Design/Gameplaying: Grim Fandango has the better game design (Year Two is the most well-designed adventure chapter EVER), but the clunky controls (while manageable) are inferior to the tried-and-true (but dated) SCUMM word selector. And DotT has multiple protagonists and the entire time-travel angle. Let’s give this one to DotT.

Story: While DotT is really good and really funny, GF takes the cake!

Music/Audio: DotT had great music and audio, but GF had even better music and audio, so GF wins.

Puzzles: The time-travel aspect of DotT makes for some brilliant puzzles, but GF had Year Two which is the best section of puzzle design I’ve ever seen. GF wins.

Overall: DotT and GF are both 5-star games in my book, but if I have to pick a favourite between the two, it’d be Grim Fandango. If only by a small margin.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

It’s a big tie for me. In terms of gameplay DOTT is one step in front of GF. In terms of story and atmosphere GF shines in all it’s glory. But secretly I’m voting for Full Throttle (which doesn’t have the gameplay of DOTT and the story of GF and it’s short and I’m one of the few who prefer it but I still regard it as Tim’s best work).

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

GF is definitely my winner. Brilliant atmosphere.

They’re both great games though.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Graphics/Animation : DotT always appealed to me more than GF, I am a sucker of cartoony outlooking adventure.

Design/Gameplaying : as much as how smart innovative every thing about GF seems better, but the controls (by-it-self) always gave me the creep, when I think about replaying it, so here again go DotT .

Story: of course ‘imo’ the story of GF has to win, revolution and stuff. Grin

Music/Audio : GF is much more ahead than DotT .

Puzzles : I can say its a ‘tie’ but GF puzzles are always been one of the greatest reference of many ags that came after and untill today.

TimovieMan - 11 December 2014 06:55 AM

Graphics/Animation: Extremely close. Both games are amongst the best, but are so different from each other that it’s hard to pick a winner. The fun cartoony style vs. the great backgrounds and paper mache early 3D figures? DotT wins by a very narrow margin.

Design/Gameplaying: Grim Fandango has the better game design (Year Two is the most well-designed adventure chapter EVER), but the clunky controls (while manageable) are inferior to the tried-and-true (but dated) SCUMM word selector. And DotT has multiple protagonists and the entire time-travel angle. Let’s give this one to DotT.

Story: While DotT is really good and really funny, GF takes the cake!

Music/Audio: DotT had great music and audio, but GF had even better music and audio, so GF wins.

Puzzles: The time-travel aspect of DotT makes for some brilliant puzzles, but GF had Year Two which is the best section of puzzle design I’ve ever seen. GF wins.

Wow Timo, we dealt with the 5 points exactly the same way to the same results Grin

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Grim for me too, indeed by a small margin. Manny’s voice acting alone (i forgot the name of the actor) is enough to win the 1st spot.

But in my book, and I know this can be considered sacrilegious, neither game can hold a candle to either Gabriel Knight 2 or The Longest Journey. But that’s just me Laughing

Just out of curiosity: What was cage match #1?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

subbi - 11 December 2014 04:17 PM

Just out of curiosity: What was cage match #1?

Voice actors: Brian Silliman vs. Logan Cunningham

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Ah, I missed this thread. I know neither actor…..that’s a very different cage match indeed.

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

Grim, hands down thanks to its amazing ambiance.

But DOTT is an awesome game, no doubts. I probably prefer the DOTT puzzles, actually. But I tend to put mood first.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Advie, I forgot to add that these cage matches are excellent idea. Wink

(Maybe we could have something like a vs. tournament like this between games, until only THE ONE is left, but there should definitely be some seeding)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top