• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiertrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Until Dawn

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

What is it with unskippable cutscenes now…

Reviews that are showing up are good. Looking forward to some horror adventure

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 24 August 2015 10:24 AM

What is it with unskippable cutscenes now…

Reviews that are showing up are good. Looking forward to some horror adventure

That awkward moment when you realize this game is rated better than Order.
Only 2 or 3 70s but mostly in 90s and 80s for now.
Actually there is no cutscene so to speak, you make choices in between them.
It can be frustrating , but if you will enjoy glorious graphics made on Killzone engine , you will be fine. My only concern is/was uncanny valley faces, damn those smiles are so creepy and looks like characters are in pain or constipated.
Got used to it.

Game Cloud - 9/10

I’m going to say it outright, Until Dawn is the best horror adventure since Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem. With Until Dawn, Supermassive has laid the foundation for how it can be done while producing an enjoyable and highly polished horror experience. It’s an adventure game brought to life by a compelling cast of characters and a narrative that expertly plays with genre tropes to upturn expectations. It’s certainly not original in all its ideas, but it does deliver one of the most meaningful choice systems to date.

Respawn Ninja - 9/10

Supermassive Games’ Until Dawn is quite simply one of the best horror games I’ve played. It’s a uniquely terrifying adventure in what is one of the most cliched sub-genres around. The choice and consequence system crafts an experience that begs to be replayed and the writing is engaging and rather impressive. Horror fans will certainly find many things to love about Until Dawn, and it’s very possible that others will too. While we’ll most likely never really know what the game was and what it was like on PlayStation 3, I’m incredibly thankful for what we have now.

Canadian Online Gamers - 91/100

While Until Dawn lacks complex gameplay, it counters with compelling characters, astounding visuals, and a thought provoking storyline. A masterful fusion of art forms, Until Dawn is a refreshingly self-aware experience that no thriller fan should pass up.

Only SP - 9.2/10

Until Dawn is the next step forward in the genre of cinematic choice based storytelling.

IGN - 7.5/10

Until Dawn is a flawed, but fun experience. Though an unfocused story means it falls short of greatness, it’s an otherwise entertaining homage to the curious traditions of horror movies which pays off your in-game decisions with occasionally shocking consequences.

Cybershack - 4/5

I really enjoyed Until Dawn, but I think it’s the kind of game where you either love it or hate it. For me, it’s a contender for my “best of 2015 list”, mostly thanks to the compelling story and unnerving atmosphere. Having almost completed Until Dawn twice, I could see myself coming back for a third serve - mostly to see if I can pull off a run where everyone dies.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 24 August 2015 10:46 AM

Actually there is no cutscene so to speak, you make choices in between them.
It can be frustrating , but if you will enjoy glorious graphics made on Killzone engine , you will be fine. My only concern is/was uncanny valley faces, damn those smiles are so creepy and looks like characters are in pain or constipated.
Got used to it.

That makes sense, from the review I thought it was a cutscene. But I think they should at least give the option to fast forward for subsequent playthroughs

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yes, but I’m hoping that the graphics are a giant leap forward, like heavy rain was. We all know the ps4 is a much more powerful machine than the PS3 and hopefully games like this will showcase that.

I’m going to watch some tube videos of the game and see how jaw dropping it is.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

It’s a gorgeous game. Some of the facial animations can get a little wonky but for the most part, it’s stunning to look at. The 3rd person sections where you’re wandering through the environments are close to photorealistic at times.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Huh, I didn’t realize this game was adventury in the slightest.  I assumed it was survival horror or a first person shooter.

I think I may get this now.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Mike Kelly, remember finger cutting scene in HR, well Untilldawn just topped that scene in its own version.
These scenes are so gruesome and detailed, made me look in other direction.
Maybe its the sounddesign by Jasongraves(Deadspace) that made it all more unnerving.
Smile

Reviewers having a field trip with this,

Sterling,

Until Dawn is everything that Quantic Dream games have tried to be – unsuccessfully – for the past decade. It emulates horror movies while demonstrating a clear understanding of what makes those movies work, its focus on consequence is nervewracking and intricate, and its story is silly but strongly delivered. It’s the best David Cage game not made by David Cage, and it’s the best interactive horror flick you’ll play.

The only downside is there’s not a token pothead. Supermassive Games needs to do a bit more genre research.

9.5/10
Superb

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

nomadsoul - 24 August 2015 05:06 PM

Mike Kelly, remember finger cutting scene in HR, well Untilldawn just topped that scene in its own version.

I found the totem that warned me of that moment ahead of time but I didn’t put two and two together until it was too late. Ouch.

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

I watched a Youtube video of the first few minutes, and one thing I gotta say is that I don’t really like the facial animations much.  Everyone is constantly making weird, unnatural expressions.

It feels far behind Heavy Rain and L.A. Noire in this regard, and those games were released years ago, and on the PS3 instead of the PS4.

It’s kind of breaks the immersion, and for this reason what little I’ve seen of it is not feeling as cinematic as I’d like.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Very few games hit that level of detail. Not even Heavy Rain gets it right and L.A Noire was far too animated to be realistic.

Glad to see this turning out good.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Really, the facial animations are way behind those games, as well as The Last of Us, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid, GTA, and most other games on the PS3 or PS4 that strive for a photo-realism style.

After doing some digging I get the impression that this game didn’t have near the budget that games like those had.  But if that’s the case I think it should be selling for less than $60, which is what the most expensive AAA games go for.

I’m still interested, and am considering buying it, but presentation wise it’s not living up to the hype for me.

My hope would be that the gameplay and branching story more than make up for that though.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Detective Mosely - 24 August 2015 07:38 PM

Really, the facial animations are way behind those games, as well as The Last of Us, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid, GTA, and most other games on the PS3 or PS4 that strive for a photo-realism style.

After doing some digging I get the impression that this game didn’t have near the budget that games like those had.  But if that’s the case I think it should be selling for less than $60, which is what the most expensive AAA games go for.

I’m still interested, and am considering buying it, but presentation wise it’s not living up to the hype for me.

My hope would be that the gameplay and branching story more than make up for that though.

I mentioned that and its indeed a distraction, this game is a huge feat by Supermassive who were making it on ps3 on low budget, for The move.
Then went into development hell.
Then got Killzone PS4 engine to up port it , considering that i can ignore this only drawback.
They didnt use mocap i reckon, its hand animated and thats why off.

HR and LAnoire first build dedicated tech for mocap, with eminent results.

But atmosphere, IQ , art direction is amazing, presentation actually keeps you invested in setting and characters, otherwise noone would bother to connect with this cast of douchebags.
Sum of parts actually.
Graphics look prerendered good and better than KZ shadowfall in some areas.

Sanatorium level looked awesome.

Edit:

I am thinking of keeping it in my collection for another playthrough in winters.
I will probably finish it in 7 to 8 hours but Gamespot reviewer had 4 playthroughs already.
Some had 3 for trophies, others on the average two.

So production quality and replay value justifies 60$, its no TTG engine.

But you can rent it to see if it clicks.

SamandMax - 24 August 2015 06:00 PM
nomadsoul - 24 August 2015 05:06 PM

I found the totem that warned me of that moment ahead of time but I didn’t put two and two together until it was too late. Ouch.

Those type of offguard moments were cherry on the top.
Wolf appearance and skeleton face on your face when camera changes.
Good shit.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tad - 24 August 2015 06:59 PM

Very few games hit that level of detail. Not even Heavy Rain gets it right and L.A Noire was far too animated to be realistic.

Glad to see this turning out good.

LAnoire created this jarring effect where Faces were nextgen and body animations were from PS2 gen

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

nomadsoul - 24 August 2015 08:08 PM

But you can rent it to see if it clicks.

Ha, I’d actually forgotten that renting was a thing.  That sounds like a good idea.

If not, I may just wait for a price drop.  $60 just seems excessive for a short game that many reviewers say they don’t feel like playing through more than once.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Rami , one of the leading guy in the game has a new show going on, which is getting alot of fan following already. His stoned and on drugs personality is actual real life one, i thought if was just for the game.

Also good to see , Slater getting potentially a super hit TV series.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top