• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough #4 - Enigmatis: The Mists of Ravenwood

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 01 December 2014 06:52 AM

Also, since there were twelve disciples back in the day, does that mean that Artifex Mundi has planned plenty more (12?) games in the series where we need to defeat them one at a time?

In that regard, are WE, as in the UH™, perhaps an unofficial Disciple of Raphael? Or maybe Detective Hamilton is???
Can we even defeat the Disciples, or can we merely thwart them temporarily like we did at Maple Creek? I’m curious to see how things will pan out.

I don’t think it would be a spoiler to say that Artifex-Mundi probably has one more game to look forward to. But to think there might be ten more is quite a stretch. The answer will be known by the time the game concludes. Be patient. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 01 December 2014 10:56 AM

Does anyone else think it’s intriguing that the villain is identified definitively so early in the game?

One thing that sets this game apart is the setting—I can’t think of another casual game with this setting (unlike the dozens that take place in old mansions, for instance).

I don’t know. The preacher was identified as a suspect fairly early in Maple Creek. Once you open the gates to the church, which happens fairly early, that’s the last you ever see of him. And he was identified as a suspect by then.

Not sure what you mean by setting. There are a few games, though very few, that I can think of that take place in a forest environment. There is one, Dreamland, that takes place in an amusement park. But, can I think of an amusement park game that takes place in a forest environment other than this one, the answer is no.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 01 December 2014 03:16 PM

Redwoods are almost exclusively found in the Pacific Northwest. The southernmost environment is Muir Woods National Monument which is about 25 miles north of San Francisco, California.

We are actually told exactly where the game takes place, at one point UH points at a map and says we are here. I unfortunately didn’t take a screenshot of it, which could have been interesting to compare with a real map, but we are in northern California.

Becky - 01 December 2014 10:56 AM

Does anyone else think it’s intriguing that the villain is identified definitively so early in the game?

I don’t think it is that unusual in games in general. Games in the detective genre usually only reveal it very late, but this is not really a detective game even though UH is a detective, it is more a kind of survival game. And there are other thing that haven’t been revealed yet.

TimovieMan - 01 December 2014 06:52 AM
Iznogood - 30 November 2014 10:32 AM

Now I’m however not so sure, I guess it could be Hamilton or someone playing a similar role in this game, but does that also mean that it was Hamilton or whoever that trapped us?

God, I hope not. After the events in Maple Creek, he should know better.

Come to think of it I don’t think that it actually was Hamilton in the window, he apparently broke his leg when taking Becky to safety, so he wouldn’t have been able to run around spying on us at this point. So it was probably Whitmarsh himself that we saw and who closed the trapdoor behind us.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Iznogood - 02 December 2014 05:31 AM

We are actually told exactly where the game takes place, at one point UH points at a map and says we are here. I unfortunately didn’t take a screenshot of it, which could have been interesting to compare with a real map, but we are in northern California.

I saw that map as well. I went back to look for it, but don’t remember exactly where it was. I think it was in the museum, but that area is no longer active. It’s not in Evidence.

The location looked to be in the north central area of California. Maybe 150-200 miles north of San Francisco. If you Google map it, my guess is that the location is around Redding, California, which is just east of the Mendocino National Forest. (I used to live in a little town called Kenwood which is in the middle of wine country in Sonoma County.)

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m replaying to find the map. FWIW I also tried to grab a screenshot of the window lurker inside the snack bar. I did, but when I tried to manipulate the image, I got everything but the image in the window. Very strange.

That, notwithstanding, I also believe it was the Preacher at the window. And it was he who shut the trap door.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, I replayed the game up to the current stop point and did not find the map.

Hope someone else finds it and posts a screenshot. Think my location guess is pretty accurate, but it would be nice to confirm.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 02 December 2014 09:09 PM

That, notwithstanding, I also believe it was the Preacher at the window. And it was he who shut the trap door.

You mean Whitmarsh, right?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 02 December 2014 11:32 AM

The location looked to be in the north central area of California. Maybe 150-200 miles north of San Francisco. If you Google map it, my guess is that the location is around Redding, California, which is just east of the Mendocino National Forest.

Based on my memory of a brief look on the map, then I would say that you are probably correct, we are most like somewhere in the woods west of Redding.

TimovieMan - 03 December 2014 06:34 AM

My thoughts too, but who knows, Whitmarsh might only be the front figure and in reality it is the preacher who is behind all of this.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Part 3 of the casual community playthrough of Enigmatis: The Mists of Ravenwood

So we finally managed to find and “save” the little girl, who will be perfectly fine now and won’t get into any more trouble - I’m sure of it.

We have also found an old friend and ally, who will surely prove to be to great help for us, well he does have a broken leg so it looks like we will have to do all the legwork (<- He He, double meaning here), but I’m sure that he will still be of great use, after all he did play an invaluable part in catching the Preacher in the first game…

We have also learned much more about what is going on here, who we are up against and how dangerous a foe he actually is.

And we have been told more of the ancient story about the battle between good and evil, by the mysterious prisoner, which I must confess is one of my favourite parts of this game.

There are however places in this park that we still haven’t visited, and mysteries that still needs to be unravelled.

And most important, we still haven’t found and saved Becky’s parents - So what are you waiting for? No time to linger, we still have lots of work to do.

You have until Saturday afternoon the 6th of December to play the next part, and you should stop when (Dam Dam Daam!) UH™ is caught by Whitmarsh!

That’s is right ladies and Gentlemen, we will stop this part on a real cliffhanger, with our heroine in a most precarious situation!

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

DrewClue - 28 November 2014 09:39 PM

Love/hate relationship with the fact that none of the AM games can get all of the achievements in the first play-through.

I didn’t realize this. They purposely make it impossible to get all the achievements without replaying the game?

furgotten - 01 December 2014 02:56 PM

I enjoyed the Monty Python reference.

I missed it—I’d love to know what it was.

To add to the mix of possible suspects, I think it was the ticket-seller woman who closed the trap door.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

It’s interesting that even though I played both Enigmatis games before (and forgot most of them), different parts of the games were more familiar. In Maple Creek, the house in the bonus chapter was the most familiar area to me. In Ravenwood, it was the area around the entrance to the park that I remembered.

If anyone is curious about who you play in the bonus chapter, you play as the ticket seller lady. So you learn about what happened to her back in the 1960’s and how she almost rescued her friends.

About the guy imprisoned in the basement…
My first thought was that he might be one of the black-hooded guys. Otherwise, why wouldn’t Whitmarsh have disposed of him the same way he did other visitors to the park? But after he tells you the story of how Raphael defeated the demon, and how Raphael would have to take human form if he wished to remain on earth, there was the possibility that he might be Raphael in disguise. I think the prisoner may have wanted the protagonist to think that he might be the angel Raphael in disguise. If that were the case, it could explain why Whitmarsh couldn’t just kill the prisoner the way he did all the other humans (save the ticket seller).

I liked the first Enigmatis game better—mainly because this one has those stupid congratulatory messages pop up onscreen for every little thing you do, usually on the left of the screen, but sometimes on the right too if you happen to click the butterflies or other “collectible” stuff.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 03 December 2014 06:34 AM

Correct. Part of my brain is still playing the last game. Frown

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Becky - 03 December 2014 09:53 AM

It was in Hamilton’s cabin. To be specific,when you click on the sign in front of the couple.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Iz -

I’m not sure I understand exactly where this section ends. There are at least two locations where UH is captured. One in the mansion by the vines and one later on. If you have a screenshot of UH in the captured location that might be more helpful.

Edit: Is this where we’re supposed to stop?
Edit2: This retouched image is not as dark.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Becky - 03 December 2014 09:53 AM

I missed it too. I’m suspecting a Lumberjack Song reference, though. Tongue

Edit:

furgotten - 03 December 2014 11:20 AM

It was in Hamilton’s cabin. To be specific,when you click on the sign in front of the couple.

Oh, haven’t seen it yet, then. Will look for it! Cool

rtrooney - 03 December 2014 12:49 PM

Iz -

I’m not sure I understand exactly where this section ends. There are at least two locations where UH is captured. One in the mansion by the vines and one later on. If you have a screenshot of UH in the captured location that might be more helpful.

Well, those of us who are playing for the first time don’t know that we get captured twice, so we’d stop at the first time… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top