• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Thimbleweed Park—Maniac Mansion style game from Ron Gilbert & Gary Winnick

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tomimt - 23 November 2014 02:21 PM

Personally I think the VO made MI1 and MI2 a lot funnier.

I agree.
Dominic Armato’s voice is just so perfect for Guybrush. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

To me, it seems pretty split as to those wanting a graphical upgrade and those wanting it exactly like it is currently. Changing the style might alienate people just as much as it might attract others. Its not my favourite art style, but I hope they stick to their guns regardless, if that’s their vision. To me that’s more important than them trying to please anyone and everyone which is impossible anyway.

I wonder with it being so steep just how eager Ron and Gary are to do voices. I think they’d be just as happy to do it without and to be fair I doubt it would have much effect on sales. I suspect most players happy to put up with the graphics are not going to turn around and not play it because of the lack of voices.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Voice acting is a much bigger deal to me than the graphics. I’m glad it was added as a (seemingly pretty attainable) stretch goal. That goes a long way toward getting me more excited for this game.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Doom - 23 November 2014 01:45 PM
tomimt - 23 November 2014 12:36 PM

I do think that if a game contains characters who actually talk with a languagae people can understand, then the players do expect that the dialogue is voiced as well.

IMO voice-overs added to Monkey Island 1-2 remakes killed a lot of original humour. Those games were clearly made without spoken lines in mind, and writing was quite different from the dialogue-heavy CMI that followed 6 years later.

Couldn’t disagree more. I actually think voiceover was the only thing of value those remakes added. The fact that the MI2 remake let you choose old graphics while still retaining the new voices made it way better than the MI1 remake.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

Lucien21 - 23 November 2014 02:48 PM
tomimt - 23 November 2014 02:39 PM

Didn’t even the floppy version of DOTT have VO in the intro and in the first part of the game before the the other kids are sent through time?

Never played the floppy version so not sure.

Yes, the floppy version had voices in the intro. It was amazing at the time.  Grin

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Karlok - 23 November 2014 11:25 AM

Don’t Machinarium and Botanicula and Journey and Kentucky Route Zero prove the opposite?

Okay, Machinarium and Botanicula do have creatures making sounds.

Their art was crazy good, to suck you in and not let go.

Here the strength should be Story, writing , puzzles and VA.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 23 November 2014 08:55 AM

And like Dag says, if we don’t say anything now, then we’ll end up with what we’re seeing now, and there’s been quite a few people mentioning it doesn’t look good, now, so there’s going to be some truth in it, no?

Not only that, but the preview is so scarce right now that the ONLY thing we can constructively talk about is the graphics choice. I can’t say: “The story sucks!”, or “Puzzles are garbage” because I’ve read and seen very little of it, but with graphics it’s obvious what are they aiming to do throughout the full game.

If I say: “Those graphics are poor, not really retro-stylized and definitely not cutting edge modern technology. I’d rather if Ron Gilbert aimed for a SVGA late 90s 2D cartoon style instead of this”, that would be a perfectly sane comment and doesn’t equal “What a stupid game with a stupid graphics this is, I’m gonna kill Ron Gilbert and everyone involved with this steamin’ pile of a crap-game!”.

The fact that someone is emotionally commenting and criticizing the graphics is most probably because he/she is either:

1) fan of the genre
2) fan of Ron Gilbert’s work

which might eventually lead him/her to getting the game anyway. As Tim says, it’s really “My 2 cents until it’s not too late”.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

It’s already too late. This is the game they’re pitching. If they seriously changed the art style it would seriously change the scope and nature of the project. If you want something more from him in the genre beyond this then support this or hope others support it and see what happens in the future.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

I may not find the graphics very appealing, but that doesn’t mean I’d want them to change it. It’s their vision, after all.

It crushes me every time a developer caves in to “fan pressure”, like the whole Mass Effect 3 ending debacle. What kind of TV writer would redo the ending of their TV series because a vocal minority of whiny fans didn’t like it? What type of musician would re-record a song for the same reason? It’s just absurd, but for some reason gamers think they’re entitled to make demands of creative works.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

orient - 24 November 2014 12:50 AM

It crushes me every time a developer caves in to “fan pressure”, like the whole Mass Effect 3 ending debacle. What kind of TV writer would redo the ending of their TV series because a vocal minority of whiny fans didn’t like it? What type of musician would re-record a song for the same reason? It’s just absurd, but for some reason gamers think they’re entitled to make demands of creative works.

While I do agree with the sentiment, let’s not pretend other mediums of entertainment are any holier about keeping “artistic integrity” in check. TV-scripts, movie scripts and books chnage all the time based on some ones whims. In those cases it’s usually because of the whims of the studio that is bankrolling it. The original script of Interstellar for an example is pretty much a different movie with actual aliens in it.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Frogacuda - 23 November 2014 09:41 PM

It’s already too late. This is the game they’re pitching. If they seriously changed the art style it would seriously change the scope and nature of the project. If you want something more from him in the genre beyond this then support this or hope others support it and see what happens in the future.

No, it’s not. Optimistically, they’ll spruce it up a bit along the way. I’ve seen bigger miracles - Frogwares listened to the fans and changed the game (The Awakened) from 1st to 3rd person. Also, when I say “until it’s not too late”, it doesn’t necessarily mean this game only. Perhaps it will influence some other pitch. Perhaps the nagging will influence the later game for Ron Gilbert (just look at the graphics difference between remakes of Monkey Island 1 and Monkey Island 2 because of fans reaction between the two). Perhaps… one can dream.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I would like this game to succeed (almost) only because of the potential next Ron’s game where Gary Winnick will be replaced with Steve Purcell and Peter Chan. (maybe even Tim and Dave jump aboard)

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Kickstarter isn’t about design by committee, it’s about people choosing to either believe in the developer’s vision or not. Yeah, there’s usually an extent to which the developer may wish to choose to defer to the community at his/her own discretion, but if you straight up disagree with their vision for the game, then just don’t back it.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Be it however with the graphics, the base goal has just been reached, unless someone is trolling.  That leaves quite a god time span for the stretch goals.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I’m not going to back this game. I prefer to reserve my kickstarter budget for interesting games like HM spiffing or Kelvin and the Infamous Machine that have a hard time getting money and have interesting ideas. In this case, I’m not very enthused by the graphics and I think this campaign will have no problem raising money anyway :-)

I really don’t care much for the graphics but that’s mostly because for me the nostalgia isn’t there. I never got into Maniac Mansion, I was 4 when it came out. My first Lucas art games were the VGA indiana jones and the last crusade and Monkey Island. Both of them look much better than Maniac Mansion.

I do love the verb interface though. It creates a lot of opportunities for fun interactions and I’m curious at how it will be used.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top