• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Vincent the Vampire, classic point and click kickstarter

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2014-08-09

PM

Greetings all

Me again, this time I want to tell you about a point and click adventure game, hand drawn and inspired by the classics, Vincent the Vampire. Really think you should check it out. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/783935053/vincent-the-vampire-an-indie-point-and-click-adven

Can a lowly office clerk point and click his way to save the world from Cyborgs, Vampires, Werewolves and Lawyers… the answer is yes.

What is the project?

We are going to make a classic Point and Click Adventure Game heavily inspired by games like Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango and Full Throttle, with a truly original story, engaging and quirky characters and a darker delivery like ‘I have no mouth and I must scream’. The game will feature more adult themes as compared to some other games in the genre but will still maintain a sense of humour and poke fun at some established clichés in vampire movies and games. We will also be playing with the genre a bit and trying some new things to try and push adventure games forward.

In addition we will be creating a Point and Click Adventure Video Tutorial Series along side the game, to teach you how to make your own adventure games without the need for any programming.

Vincent the Vampire is a game set on a lost island in an ancient decrepit city. The inhabitants of the island mostly consist of Vampires, Werewolves and Cyborgs, but other inhabitants include cultists, a monk reincarnated as a pot plant, and psychotic 80s super computer, lawyers, ghosts, thieves, vacationing demons, the Underlord, Death and many more…

Vincent is an office clerk for the largest corporation on the island, he had been doing the same job for 7 years (photocopier technician) until suddenly one day Vincent realises that his job and life are pointless in a moment of pure clarity. He leaves his job and for the first time he starts to explore the island where he lives, but his exploration is cut short when he is brutally murdered. He is understandably surprised to wake up the next day to discover he is undead.

Vincent is then reluctantly dragged into the underground culture of the undead and then gets stuck having to save the world from an ancient war, because nobody else can be bothered.

Throughout the game he will learn to control his new vampire powers such as hypnotism, the ability to talk to plants and transmogrification.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Oh yes! I like vampire games.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2014-08-09

PM

It would be a miss-stake not to support this game hahahahahahaha I know I know I am too much lol

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

The art style is DROP-DEAD gorgeous! Wink

All puns aside, I think it looks fabulous, especially the exterior scenes. They convey a lot of detail and atmosphere.

Joined 2014-08-09

PM

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

So sorry to see you cancelled the project again. It had good amount of backers, first tier sold out and even 500 $ tier sold out. That’s why I’m surprised to see it only collected 1/6 of a fairly small Kickstarter goal. Must be really hard to obtain (crowd)funding in this time. I would certainly recommend going for 5K goal, finishing Part 1 and adding PayPal button. How do you feel about Patreon?

Although, well, excuse me if I sound cocky, but I think there could have been done more on this Kickstarter campaign. I recently interviewed a couple of Croatian game studios who reached their goal (Nephil’s Fall, Wave of Darkness) and their campaign leaders both said that’s its crucial to be 100%, 24/7 committed to campaign. Every day sending 1000 e-mails to subscribers, FB, TW and YT followers, media… That might sound a bit exaggerated but I can name at least 100 of big gaming and mainstream gaming magazines on top of my head in a day, and I’m sure, if I had a Kickstarter campaign to run, I would collect at least 10000 addresses. I’d put most memorable quotes of gaming press on front page. I see you have banners of games media that talked about your game but I can’t even click on them, not to mention read what they were excited about.

Another thing you need is to go to a couple of big game conferences and meet some of your heroes. Then befriend them and spam them with requests about a qoute and/or mention about the game. Then put that on the front page too.

Updates about the game were too scarce to mention. My colleague, that worked on aforementioned Wave of Darkness campaign, had a very tough job of convincing people to pledge, because their studio already kickstarted one game and it turned out to be one of the worst rated games on Steam and elsewhere. And he had a job of “selling” the sequel. He posted updates every two - three days, cross - promoting other games. Cross - promoting with other small indie titles is crucial and you had it only in first post. Not to mention constantly updating your FB, TW and YT followers. You have to have dedicated account for your game there, as well as subscribe to newsletter button on website (you mentioned it in a last update but I don’t see it anywhere). Unless you’re Shigeru Miyamoto or Tim Schafer. Then you’ll probably get funding.

And try to experiment with FB ads. They’re cheap, much cheaper than traditional marketing campaigns at least, and you can target them to your core audience. Hell, I think you can even target them to Kickstarter employees (yes, some of them will be fake, but I think majority that declares themselves as Kickstarter employees are true) and hope for Staff Pick. Although, it must be mentioned that the Staff Pick won’t guarantee you anything. You still need to leave everything else and work tirelessly on your marketing.

On other thing that I realized, seeing successful crowdfunding campaigns and going to game jams with jury, is that a lot of people and serious investors want to hear story first, then gameplay. I know that good design of puzzles is the basis of a good adventure, and I personally am more excited hearing about adventures with multiple solutions to the puzzles and clean UI than some story that’s likely already realized in video games medium or movies/books, but other people want to hear story, atmosphere, visuals first. You pitched your game to adventure game lovers, who love adventures because of puzzles too (lots of people love the look and script in AGs, but hate puzzles), but most people just want to hear:

“A lawyer, werewolf and handgunned cyborg walk into a bar.”

Sorry if I’d been too harsh but I really think that you could succeed getting funds for this title. Frown

As for the game itself, I liked:

- very, clean, simple, one-click interface with an upper bar for inventory
- multiple solutions to the puzzles that were wonderfully integrated within game’s world. It makes the game accessible to newcomers, while adding replay value to genre lovers. When you already used 2 possible solutions, you kinda of wonder what’s the third way of prevailing the same obstacle. It definitely gets you thinking.
- straightforward and logical puzzle design
- visual style

I disliked:

- visuals look kind of stretched on 1080p monitor
- story (in the demo, at least) begins quite slow, without sense of urgency

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I had a technical problem with the demo - once I got to the left-most part of the bar, every time I wanted to return to the right part, Vincent either didn’t want to, or it just snapped back to the desktop. I’m convinced it had something to do with the dual monitor setup. Anyway, sorry about not funding.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top