• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445KeybordzSpeedBozobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure games on mobile (iOS/ Android etc)

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2014-10-24

PM

Interested to hear what everyone thinks of adventuring on the go compared to on the PC. We’ve been experimenting with a tablet version of our Her Majesty’s SPIFFING demo we have on our Kickstarter campaign at the moment, here’s a video of how it’s looking at the moment on a Nexus 7 (all the interface graphics are placeholders at the moment!):

YouTube Video

Can you folks think of any examples of adventure games on iOS or Android that you think play as good or maybe even better than their PC counterparts? What have been your least favourite and favourite ports?

Asking so to have a better idea what to plagiarise in our game!  Tongue

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I really like the way Broken Sword 5 functions on Vita - and I guess it’s the same on tablets and phones.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I do like the point and click experience on a tablet. My personal opinion is that even the older adventure games, played through scummvm or dosbox, feel more fluent on a touchsceeen than they do with a mouse.

On native ports i.e. Broken Sword games work very nicely on a tablet

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I enjoyed more Botanicula, Machinarium and The Inner World when I played them on my tablet (Android) than when I played them on my pc.

On the other hand, there is the awful Android version of Syberia, where the hotspots were visible on each screen, distracting us from the background, etc (and no option to deactivate them), while also Kate Walker’s model was almost 2d, looking extremely alien to the game…

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Luckily, the best version of Syberia I’ve seen is on the ipad.

I love adventure games on mobile devices, the VITA with it’s OLED screen is the real standout this generation - like the Nintendo DS was last generation.

IF I would put out an adventure game myself I’d release it to PSN (VITA, PS3, PS4), IOS and PC.

This would cover quite a bit of sales opportunities.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2014-10-24

PM

I think the Vita is such a perfect platform for an adventure game, or certainly a 3D adventure game. Personally, I really like having direct control over the character you’re playing, it makes you feel more like you are playing as this character as opposed to just directing them from a distance in my opinion.

I’m not a big fan of virtual joysticks on a touchscreen as you don’t get any real feedback, but the ability to just tap stuff in the environment to interact with is really appealing. The Vita would allow you to walk around freely with as much control and precision as an other type of 3D game and also allow you to simply tap the objects on screen to interact with. It’s just a shame so few people have one!

Great thing is we’re developing HM SPIFFING in Unity and should be able to deploy to Vita with very little hassle in version 5 when it comes out, so we’ll toy about with that in the future (currently the Vita version of Unity doesn’t like a few of the plugins we’re using so doesn’t run particularly well) Frown

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Personally, despite having some mobile devices i find myself only playing adventures on them when im forced to (exclusives). Touchscreens can be interesting, and good for travel.. but for some reason id prefer to play on a bigger screen with controls in hand.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Personally, despite having some mobile devices i find myself only playing adventures on them when im forced to (exclusives). Touchscreens can be interesting, and good for travel.. but for some reason id prefer to play on a bigger screen with controls in hand.

An interesting tablet - “The Shield” lets you use a controller hooked to the tablet and has a full 8 inch screen:

http://shield.nvidia.com/gaming-tablet/

Handheld adventure gaming on PSV, Nintendo DS and ipad is quite popular and brings a level of interaction via touch screen control.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2004-03-30

PM

The longest journey has now finally been released for ios (it’s been available in NZ and Australia for about a month, and was released worldwide today (well, at least in Europe, but I guess in the rest of the world as well) ). Smile

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

That’s great news.
Does anyone know what the remastering exactly consists of?

Did they upgrade the resolution of the art? Were they able to improve the 3D character models? Higher fidelity of music and sound?

I’m thinking of buying the iPad version, but I want to make sure I’m not getting just the PC version converted for iOS with some touch controls.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Mikekelly - 03 November 2014 07:01 AM

An interesting tablet - “The Shield” lets you use a controller hooked to the tablet and has a full 8 inch screen:

http://shield.nvidia.com/gaming-tablet/

Handheld adventure gaming on PSV, Nintendo DS and ipad is quite popular and brings a level of interaction via touch screen control.

Heart

Even on DS I prefer to use the controls. On Phoenix Wright when I can search the crime scene using the touchscreen, I will always use the AB/XY controls instead.

Touchscreens are just too finicky for me, plus I think I have wide fingers. I have tried a few games on Android but they don’t work for me.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

subbi - 24 November 2014 05:11 PM

Did they upgrade the resolution of the art? Were they able to improve the 3D character models? Higher fidelity of music and sound?

I’m thinking of buying the iPad version, but I want to make sure I’m not getting just the PC version converted for iOS with some touch controls.

It doesn’t look like they’ve done anything to the butt ugly 3D characters, which is a shame really.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

One advantage to the Nintendo DS and the PSVITA is the option to use analog controls.

If you don’t want to use the touch screen you don’t always have to.

Ipad mini - on the other hand is all touch screen controls period.

I just got TLJ on ipad - looks great, has some new intro material added to it and some new additional material at the end too.

The artwork looks high definition to me, very smooth character models - sound and music are top notch too.

Nice to see the handheld conversion of a PC game be actually improved. Touch screen control works very well with this game too.

Heart

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

I’ve finally entered the 21st century and gotten a smartphone, so I may be looking for iPhone adventure games soon. I’m confused about what it means when you see “iOS”...shouldn’t “iPad”, “iPhone” and or “Macintosh” be specified?

The only game really on my radar for iPhone is Transylvania Adventure (originally a 1982 computer game). It’s your standard early-‘80s text adventure with pictures, but Jimmy Maher at The Digital Antiquarian gave it a good write-up, saying it’s one of the best examples of that specific type of game. The puzzles actually make sense, it’s charming, etc.

http://www.filfre.net/2012/10/transylvania/

(Every single post on that blog is worth reading for fans of old-school computer game history, often having to do with adventure games. I’d start at the very beginning and work your way through.)

So anyway, that’s one game but I’m not really sure what else there is.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

ios is the operating system that the iphone and ipad use.

When shopping for a game on the app store, make sure your iphone will run it (iphone 5 compatible, etc.)

When I’m on the app store looking for a game I search with “point and click”.

I’d recommend “The Longest Journey” for purchase and play - loved it on the ipad.

Heart

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Mikekelly - 09 February 2015 06:20 AM

ios is the operating system that the iphone and ipad use.

When shopping for a game on the app store, make sure your iphone will run it (iphone 5 compatible, etc.)

When I’m on the app store looking for a game I search with “point and click”.

I’d recommend “The Longest Journey” for purchase and play - loved it on the ipad.

Heart

Are any Steam games usable on an iPhone?

Already played TLJ but thank you!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top