• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

LucasArts / Disney Coming to GOG

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

If you buy X-Wing or Tie Fighter, they give you two boxes each on your shelf—
one for the older 1993 or 1994 version, and one for the “updated” 1998 version.
I wasn’t expecting that. It was nice of them to include both versions.

No Loom or Day of the Tentacle yet.
Maybe tomorrow?

If they offer KOTOR 2, I hope they include the fan-made endings.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

This news is beyond amazing! It feels like 2009 all over again, when Monkey Island came back and several LucasArts titles were released on Steam afterwards. Gosh, I can’t explain it but this has me more excited than ANY other new games coming out recently or in the near future.

I’m definitely picking up X-Wing and TIE Fighter, since I’ve never played them (I was too busy playing Dark Forces, Jedi Knight and all the great adventure classics back then). Also, the new GOG site looks beautiful. I hadn’t visited it in a while.

Awesome stuff GOG thank you okay take all my money nowwww!!!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

crabapple - 28 October 2014 12:38 PM

If they offer KOTOR 2, I hope they include the fan-made endings.

I doubt it, they offer official versions only. It’s up to you to use what ever mods you want.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The KotOR II Restoration Project is free anyway, so why would they need to include it?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

5 minutes after the release of Kotor 2 there will probably be a guide in gog forums for the Restoration Project.

Gog will probably be spacing the releases for the next months so don’t expect new release every few days.

Now my most wanted publishers to join are Microprose and Legend.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Can anyone confirm whether or not an Xbox 360 controller works fine for X-Wing & Tie-Fighter?  I’d hate to have to go through the trouble of tracking down an actual joystick.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lambonius - 28 October 2014 03:22 PM

Can anyone confirm whether or not an Xbox 360 controller works fine for X-Wing & Tie-Fighter?  I’d hate to have to go through the trouble of tracking down an actual joystick.

Downloading now, Will test it out today.
In gog forums they are talking about it and seems to work fine in conjuction with the keyboard for remaining keys.

Edit: Works well enough. Without messing anything with the controls it automatically uses left stick for controlling the ship, right trigger and left trigger control speed, one button for shooting, other buttons for choosing targets. D-pad and right stick not used.
Other controls on keyboard.

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

Thanks for the info, wilco. Do you know if there is mouse support for controlling the ship as well? I’d like to play with a mouse and keyboard.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Jade - 28 October 2014 08:55 PM

Thanks for the info, wilco. Do you know if there is mouse support for controlling the ship as well? I’d like to play with a mouse and keyboard.

If I recall correctly, X-Wing was always playable via mouse and keyboard, but Tie Fighter required a joystick and had no built-in keyboard & mouse option.

For what it’s worth, X-Wing WAS significantly easier with a joystick or gamepad.  Something about the mouse & keyboard dog-fighting just wasn’t responsive enough, especially trying to turn on a dime or follow fighters as they tried to climb past you.  Your mileage may vary though.  I’d track down a controller though.  USB controllers are fairly cheap and easy to find.

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

Good stuff, thanks! I’ll try it with a mouse and keyboard and see how it plays out. I might consider a controller later on actually since I’ve been curious to try one out ever since Steam Big Picture was introduced.

Hey wait, I just came across this warning message on the GOG store page:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Windows version of STAR WARS®: TIE Fighter (1998) requires a controller or joystick. STAR WARS®: TIE Fighter (1994) can be played with a mouse and keyboard.

It’s the same message for both games. Also, I’ve read somewhere that the Windows version doesn’t support iMuse and that the music is much less interactive and fun as a result. That’s to be taken into consideration too.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

That’s exactly it:

Gog comes with 2 versions of X-Wing and Tie Fighter

X-Wing (1993) and Tie Fighter (1994) work with keyboard + mouse

X-Wing (1998) and Tie Fighter (1998) - Windows version - need a joystick (I’m using the X360 pad and it’s fine)

Total Posts: 510

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Good thing that these fantastic games are made easily available for those who don’t already have them. But for those of us who do I’d say there’s little reason to buy them again, considering how easy they are to play on modern computers through ScummVM. What GOG/Disney should do is offer the extremely rare versions of the games, such as FM Towns. Surely most of us people here already own the standard floppy or CD versions for PC?

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

TimovieMan - 28 October 2014 01:40 PM

The KotOR II Restoration Project is free anyway, so why would they need to include it?

It’s nice to have all the files available in one place.
It’s not like the “making of” and “avatars” and soundtracks, etc. all came with the original games. And certainly built-in ScummVM and DOSBox weren’t part of the original games.

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

Ultimately, emulators are required to play most of these games, whereas fan-made projects are not. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’d be great to have that included in the package but I wouldn’t call it unfair if it wasn’t.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

I’m going to try this question here to anyone who bought the special edition of Monkey Island either from Gog or Steam.

Has anyone tried this patch?

It allows you to play the CD-ROM version of The Secret of Monkey Island with voices and the old graphics through ScummVM?

I haven’t got a chance to try it out (I only have the Steam version) but it seems like the perfect solution to people who prefer the older graphics.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top