• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

PC Gamer arranges twenty-five adventure games in list format. THE OFFICIAL THREAD.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Jabod - 27 October 2014 04:59 PM

It’s not about being right or wrong or trying to prove a point about anything it’s simply a question of personal taste.

When was this decided? There are many ways to come up with a “best of” list. ‘Personal taste’ is only one. And if we go by personal taste, why should anyone care about what this Richard fellow thinks? As far as I’m concerned, any AG ‘best of’ list capable of containing 25 Nancy Drew titles is of no use or interest to anyone.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Advie - 27 October 2014 04:46 PM

5 Experience : how would it sound if the list maker haven’t used Syberia i.e because he never tried, the maker of any list should be the most ultimate one experienced at ags (at one venue or to be a part of a team at least), so the number of ags played does matter.

No matter how big fan of a genre you are, I doubt anyone could play every game possible in the genre. There’s not just enough time for that. So no matter what your “expertise” level is, you are bound to have missed a lot of games other people would consider to be best in the genre.

And, frankly, if you haven’t played it, the game should not have place in your list, as your choice would be based on second hand information, not your personal opinion.

The good thing about concensus lists is, that if enough list makers note some game, then it can be taken account and positioned on the list. But then again, as the list is bound to have games that the other people haven’t played, so they’re just agreeing with gathered data about the quality of the game. Even if you would get a tope 10 list of best games ever, you might end up disagreeing with the choises, as your personal prefence is different from what “experts” have listed.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

Personally, I think it’s a nice and diverse list. And I’m glad to see Quest for Glory IV ranked up so high.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Quest for Glory IV is a brilliant game, once you patch out the bugs.  It’s probably the best iteration of the QFG formula (though I personally like the keyboard combat from Hero’s Quest and QFGII better.)  Beautiful art, brilliantly realized world with a great sense of history and place, and an excellent story with plenty of layers and optional objectives to explore, not to mention the fact that it ties back into the established story of the series in fun and surprising ways.  Just a great game all around.  I love it.  It’s the one we most wanted to pay tribute to in QFI, and I think it probably shows.  Smile

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

EXTREMELY well put, Lambonius! Seriously, you pretty much nailed all the things I love about this game. It’s amazing how much detail and story was put into Mordavia and its inhabitants, in so few pixels.

My favorite Quest for Glory game by far, and probably my all-time favorite Sierra title as well. I remember being so hooked on it for weeks.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Yes, Quest for Glory IV deserved its place in any top. One of the most atmospheric and complex adventure games that mixes humour, horror and folklore perfectly, while the RPG element never gets frustrating and is smartly used for adventure purposes.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Karlok - 25 October 2014 06:34 AM
thejobloshow - 24 October 2014 09:39 PM

It’s a bit hard to pin where Papers, Please fits exactly. Simulation is a big part of the game, absolutely, but there are also very specific storylines interweaved through the experience that affects where your story goes moreso than getting better at checking documents. I think this gives Papers leeway to be posted here in the same way that Police Quest can be classified an adventure even though a good chunk of that game’s challenge is about following procedure rather than piecing together clues to solve puzzles.

Hm. I don’t find your argument convincing. Would you still call it an adventure if it was a pretty bad game?

This comment slipped by my radar. I like to think I would but I have used your line of reasoning in the past when criticising this website’s labeling of Portal as an “adventure game”. Would this website associate that game to this genre had it not been such a brilliant game?

I want to look at Papers, Please’s gameplay though. Checking documents is the core mechanical quirk but storytelling decisions and branching narratives are also a huge draw card. There’s even a bit of an inventory when people start giving you secret notes that you can pass onto different characters or use to decide someone’s fate. Does it sound like I’m trying to shoehorn the game into the genre? Perhaps… With the reasoning I’ve just applied, you could try and make an argument that Mass Effect is an adventure game. However, maybe labeling what category Papers, Please fits into isn’t so black and white. Wouldn’t you agree?

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

thejobloshow - 02 November 2014 05:01 PM

I want to look at Papers, Please’s gameplay though. Checking documents is the core mechanical quirk but storytelling decisions and branching narratives are also a huge draw card. There’s even a bit of an inventory when people start giving you secret notes that you can pass onto different characters or use to decide someone’s fate. Does it sound like I’m trying to shoehorn the game into the genre? Perhaps… With the reasoning I’ve just applied, you could try and make an argument that Mass Effect is an adventure game. However, maybe labeling what category Papers, Please fits into isn’t so black and white. Wouldn’t you agree?

Hm, yes, you have a point. But it’s not good enough to make me change my mind since my AGSotD post here. And that was two days before you wrote about Papers Please in this thread.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

Games I love that weren’t listed:

Space Quest 3, Space Quest 4, King’s Quest 4 (but maybe that guy Richard only wanted one game per series), Colonel’s Bequest, Larry 6, Conquests of Camelot, Conquests of the Longbow and Freddy Pharkas. I love Sierra games, what can I say.

I might have put Larry 7 at #1. It is exceptionally entertaining, the script is great, the voices superb, the interface allows the player to interact with and examine the virtual environment in all kinds of ways (and the game rewards the player for trying different things). It even has a parser. I wish more games had been made with that same interface. The game is never dull and the art is phenomenal. Sad that Larry 7 came near the very end of Sierra’s adventure game run. Would be so cool to get a hi res game similar LSL7.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

tomimt - 25 October 2014 08:53 AM

I wouldn’t put Myst even on my top 100 really.

Agreed. Loved the Myst series as a whole. But could never manage to get through the original game even with a walkthrough. Felt like a chore. The rest are amazing though (minus 5)

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

Who cares? It is only a list of one man, and one that thinks too highly of himself. When I saw that he included Gone Home that was enough to stop reading.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top