• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

PC Gamer arranges twenty-five adventure games in list format. THE OFFICIAL THREAD.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-25-best-adventure-games/

Here’s the list:

25. Discworld Noir

24. Toonstruck

23. To the Moon

22. Gone Home

21. King’s Quest VI

20. Spycraft: The Great Game

19. Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars

18. Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon

17. The Blackwell Legacy

16. Loom

15. The Longest Journey

14. A Mind Forever Voyaging

13. Little Big Adventure 2

12. The Last Express

11. The Walking Dead: Series 1

10. Gabriel Knight

9. Zork: Grand Inquisitor

8. The Secret of Monkey Island

7. Sam & Max Hit the Road

6. Full Throttle

5. Leisure Suit Larry Love for Sail

4. Quest for Glory IV

3. The Pandora Directive

2. Grim Fandango

1. Day of the Tentacle

I can safely say these are twenty-five adventure games in list format.

It feels very much like the opinions of one man rather than a consensus from the editorial staff. As a result, you get interesting choices. The inclusion of 14, 18 and 20 is so unusual for PC Gamer and greatly appreciated in terms of bringing attention to older titles. I will not rest until 18 is easily accessible through GoG.

Very happy to see 5 receive recognition given recent events. It’s a thoughtfully designed game no matter how off-putting the concept may be to some.

Meanwhile, here’s a response to the list on the article:

Richard, all these games seem to be quite old. Do you think there is a serious lack of quality in the adventure game genre now or do you think it has evolved to the point now that “adventure” isnt what it used to be? For instance, I wouldnt class The Walking Dead as an adventure game.

I feel the list does a disservice to new adventure games. There’s no way I agree with 23 or 11 being listed alongside the greatest titles in the history of the genre. Where did Papers, Please go? That was only last year and has already proven itself to be a classic. Kentucky Route Zero, Resonance, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter…. This website took a crazy risk by listing Portal 2 in its top ten greatest adventure games of all time. I would like to have seen more calculated choices like that for recent releases.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I would say calling Papers, Please? an adventure is as big a stretch as it gets. It’s a great game, and you could call the mechanics of the game a puzzle of sorts, but I would rather place it high on a list of best-ever simulation games than best-ever adventures.

I do agree though that some newer amazing games are missing. But maybe the creator of the list just doesn’t like a lot of the newer games available? A game from the 2000’s I would have included would be Return to Mysterious Island, which I find absolutely amazing and severely overlooked.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

It’s a bit hard to pin where Papers, Please fits exactly. Simulation is a big part of the game, absolutely, but there are also very specific storylines interweaved through the experience that affects where your story goes moreso than getting better at checking documents. I think this gives Papers leeway to be posted here in the same way that Police Quest can be classified an adventure even though a good chunk of that game’s challenge is about following procedure rather than piecing together clues to solve puzzles.

These definitions seem more like a sliding scale anyway. The creator of this list labelled Twinsen’s Odyssey an adventure despite its heavy emphasis on action and there are more radical people who don’t think of any adventure game as a “game”.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

These choices generally show excellent taste, though I’d nix the preachy AMFV in favor of Trinity, and I agree that, as good as To the Moon is, it’s not worth depriving a spot to Gateway 2 or the entire catalog of Level 9.

With few exceptions, this is a pretty US-centric list. As an American, that appeals to my nostalgia, but I would like to see someone more seriously draw on classic European games when making a list like this.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I believe something is myssing from that list.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’d at least swap 5 with 25 but overall it seems a pretty good list.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

thejobloshow - 24 October 2014 08:52 PM

Richard’s List…

It feels very much like the opinions of one man rather than a consensus from the editorial staff. As a result, you get interesting choices.

I was all ready to get outraged at this list, but then I saw who wrote it, and now I can only shake my head and quietly laugh to myself.

That said, it’s a lot nicer to read than most of his reviews, and I do agree with many of his choices.  Nice to see QFG4 and LSL7 getting a lot of love.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Lambonius - 25 October 2014 01:15 AM

I was all ready to get outraged at this list, but then I saw who wrote it, and now I can only shake my head and quietly laugh to myself.

What’s wrong with it other than your dislike for the author? That’s through and through pretty solid list.

Total Posts: 1076

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Personal list of Richard Cobbett(who puts LSL is #5 at all time best),leaving titles out like Riven,Syberia,Heavy Rain plain ridiculous.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Ah, so he prefers the wrong things. Blimey.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

thejobloshow - 24 October 2014 09:39 PM

It’s a bit hard to pin where Papers, Please fits exactly. Simulation is a big part of the game, absolutely, but there are also very specific storylines interweaved through the experience that affects where your story goes moreso than getting better at checking documents. I think this gives Papers leeway to be posted here in the same way that Police Quest can be classified an adventure even though a good chunk of that game’s challenge is about following procedure rather than piecing together clues to solve puzzles.

Hm. I don’t find your argument convincing. Would you still call it an adventure if it was a pretty bad game?

EDIT: Why is the list in spoiler tags.

Zifnab - 24 October 2014 10:43 PM

I believe something is myssing from that list.

Quoting RC: And Myst? Not appearing on any best-of list I compose.  Cry

There are three games on the list I haven’t played but RC and I have ten games in common.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tomimt - 25 October 2014 04:18 AM
Lambonius - 25 October 2014 01:15 AM

What’s wrong with it other than your dislike for the author? That’s through and through pretty solid list.

what is solid ? it’s pretty shaky   ,tommy
I see a man with a shaking hand trying to write down titles that somehow prying he would not upset the grumpy ppl of the genre, I say he had better stayed outta it

Total Posts: 2983

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I am not going to give value to a list that has LBA 2 in it and not Riven . I agree with everyone that said he should have stayed out of it.
At lest the inclusion of CCS is a pleasant surprise though.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Meh, that list is fine. The inclusion of LBA2 puzzles me, but that’s otherwise a solid list. And it’s just one guy’s opinion. You wouldn’t find Myst in my top 25 either…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

As for Richard Corbett ever putting a Msyt game on those kind of lists…http://www.pcgamer.com/reinstall-myst/

He slightly doesn’t like those games.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I wouldn’t put Myst even on my top 100 really.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top