• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Thursday 23 October 2014

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

In my not very humbe opinion, Papers, Please! (2013) should not be called an adventure. It has all the characteristics of a simulation game and the three adventure pillars are not in place: no exploration, no puzzles and hardly any story. So it is Fringe Day again. Smile

But is it good ? YES! A fantastic game. It sounds easy, checking documents, dates, mug shots, fingerprints. It took me and my learning curve a long time to get the hang of it though. And every day a new rule is added. If you make too many mistakes or can’t find it in your heart to reject people with sad stories, you don’t earn enough money to pay the rent and keep your family alive.

In the screenshot my favorite forgerer tries for the umpteenth time to cross the border with papers that wouldn’t fool a blind bat. He’s such a lovable guy that rejecting him became harder and harder, although he never resented it. So in my first attempts to beat the game I let him through at some point, and paid the price for my weakness. I guess the whole point of the game is making you aware of your moral choices and decisions. Worked for me. 

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Another title that I own and haven’t found the time to play….
Before 2015 perhaps….

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Eheh, yes, such a lovable character, poor guy kept trying… but I had a family to feed at the end of the day!

Best way to play the game is printing the Rules/map book.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Is this the game that’s like 32MB or something in size?

How long does it take to finish (if you can finish at all)?
Been meaning to try it for a while, hoping to sneak it in somewhere in shorter sessions…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It’s good for short sessions, like Karlok said it’s more of a simulation game, each one doesn’t take long and you can restart at any day.
And you’ll need to restart a lot of times!

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Karlok - 23 October 2014 05:20 AM

But is it good ? YES! A fantastic game. It sounds easy, checking documents, dates, mug shots, fingerprints. It took me and my learning curve a long time to get the hang of it though. And every day a new rule is added. If you make too many mistakes or can’t find it in your heart to reject people with sad stories, you don’t earn enough money to pay the rent and keep your family alive.

In the screenshot my favorite forgerer tries for the umpteenth time to cross the border with papers that wouldn’t fool a blind bat. He’s such a lovable guy that rejecting him became harder and harder, although he never resented it. So in my first attempts to beat the game I let him through at some point, and paid the price for my weakness. I guess the whole point of the game is making you aware of your moral choices and decisions. Worked for me.

Hmm, actually sounds kinda interesting. I’ve been avoiding this game because of the “no exploration, no puzzles and hardly any story”, but after reading this, I just might have to add it to my list Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Excellent game, not an adventure by any means, but a great simulation.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 23 October 2014 06:19 AM

Best way to play the game is printing the Rules/map book.

Man, I wish I’d thought of that!

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top