• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough—Phantasmat

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

You actually find out more about the assistant and the groom in the bonus section, but I’ll save that until the main part of the game is done.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 29 October 2014 11:40 PM

This was an evacuation and/or flood warning that had, at least, several days advance warning.

I find it hard to believe in any theory that relies on a belief that this was a surprise.

I didn’t say anything about the flood being a surprise to anybody!
Just that they all three, well at least the girl and the proprietor, I still don’t know about the old lady, had good reasons for waiting for the least minute before evacuating. They however waited for too long and got caught in the flood, without any possibility of escape.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Izno—intriguing info about the Rolls-Royce Phantom VI. Looks like the flood must have happened after 1968, which fits with the Socialite abandoning her mansion sometime in the twenties and living at the hotel until she had reached an advanced age.

I’ve looked at the Hidden Object screens, and have located skeletal remains in the HO scenes in the pet shop, the ruined house, the classroom, the shed, and the Socialites’ bedroom at the hotel. Kinda surprised me how many there are. Kinda surprises me that I couldn’t find any in the HO scenes in the cemetery. Which is where I would expect to find them. All those flood waters, and apparently all the graves remained secure. Unless somebody cleaned up there and distributed the skeletons elsewhere? Nah, too odd. Even for this group of characters.

The skeleton in the car is something of a special case. More discussion about it will follow after people have finished the game (and the bonus chapter if you bought the CE version).

Thanks for that image of the Girl before we meet her. I was certain that the eyes in the rear view mirror were hers because we hadn’t seen an image of her as we did the others. This opens the eyes up for more interpretation. Though the eyebrows look plucked to me. Not what I’d expect of the Proprietor.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Iznogood - 30 October 2014 12:32 AM
rtrooney - 29 October 2014 11:40 PM

This was an evacuation and/or flood warning that had, at least, several days advance warning.

I find it hard to believe in any theory that relies on a belief that this was a surprise.

I didn’t say anything about the flood being a surprise to anybody!
Just that they all three, well at least the girl and the proprietor, I still don’t know about the old lady, had good reasons for waiting for the least minute before evacuating. They however waited for too long and got caught in the flood, without any possibility of escape.

Well “surprise” is certainly the implication. We know, or soon will know why two of the characters stayed behind. The third is a bit more problematic. The Rolls is another problem. You assume that it has to be a wedding limo because of the car itself. I say look around the town. Does this look like a town, (even if you try to imagine it in its pre-flood state,) that would have supported a limo service, let alone one that offered a Rolls as one of its cars? Let alone a Rolls driven by a person who was aware of the impending flood, but decided to stay around for the finish of a wedding that wasn’t happening.

That defies common sense. More likely it was a coincidental happenstance. Driver of expensive car is distracted or veers to avoid hitting deer/ghost, and crashes the car into the post-flood lake. Where we find his remains, as well as those of the adventurer’s years later.

One thing concerns me. I think it was Lady Kestrel said that the bonus chapter added some additional information, but that the SE version offered a good conclusion in and of itself. I think in the future if we are going to look to bonus material to complete the playthrough, then players need to purchase the version that includes the bonus material. I do not want to put that financial element into the mix.

I have looked for the YouTube video of the bonus material. It spans four “shows,” the first of which includes the ending of the SE game. The player seemed so incompetent that I didn’t get past the first two or three minutes of the second episode.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 30 October 2014 06:59 AM

I’ve looked at the Hidden Object screens, and have located skeletal remains in the HO scenes in the pet shop, the ruined house, the classroom, the shed, and the Socialites’ bedroom at the hotel. Kinda surprised me how many there are.

Well I think we have to eliminate all the skeletal pieces that are meaningless. That takes care of all the skulls. Also takes care of the school skeleton that was obviously a display piece.

That leaves us with four skeletons. Two, the driver and the adventurer, we’ve already found. Two more will be found tomorrow. One of those two may not be identifiable. Which will leave us with two missing skeletons.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Izno—intriguing info about the Rolls-Royce Phantom VI. Looks like the flood must have happened after 1968, which fits with the Socialite abandoning her mansion sometime in the twenties and living at the hotel until she had reached an advanced age.

Yeah the age difference fits, I personally guessed that she had left the house in the 30’s purely on how much she had aged between the two pictures, but the 20’s fits just as well.

The skeleton in the car is something of a special case. More discussion about it will follow after people have finished the game (and the bonus chapter if you bought the CE version).

Now I’m intrigued.

@rtrooney I’m not saying the my theory, or rather the story I concocted based on the evidence is 100% true, but I do believe that it fits all the evidence, including the car. No “not knowing the flood will happen” or weird coincidence is needed, just human nature.

(And no one said it had to be a local limo-service)

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

PHANTASMAT PLAYTHROUGH – SECTION FIVE

It’s officially October 31st (AG forum time). Happy Halloween! Everyone in the game wears a mask of sorts to hide from the past, so why shouldn’t we join them? I have on a black-and-white deerstalker cap and, an 18-inch black beard. I’m Sherlock Holmes in disguise.

We can all gather around the piano and sing a chorus of The Monster Mash for Halloween.

And we can finally learn some answers.

You may now finish the game. Those who bought the Collector’s Edition should also play the Epilogue/Bonus Chapter and look at the extras in the bonus section, especially the character profiles.

A Few More Questions. Again, I’m putting them in spoiler tags because these questions should be read only by people who have finished the game.

1. Who or what pulled us – the player(s)—into the Drowned Dead Hotel world?
2. Where is the Proprietor’s treasure/money cache hidden?
3. In your opinion, which character most deserved his or her fate?
4. Are there common factors to the visions you experience (the ones that knock you out and leave you waking with one eye slit open)?

I happened to catch one, so I’ll show off by posting it.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

People will be playing the end of the game for the next couple of days, so we probably should use spoiler tags until Sunday or so. I’m never quite sure whether spoiler tags should be continued or not, so on Sunday I’ll post that it’s okay to continue the discussion without spoiler tags and warn people that they shouldn’t read further if they haven’t finished the game.

Does that make sense? (I’m making this up as I go along.)

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Becky - 30 October 2014 08:27 PM

Happy Halloween! Everyone in the game wears a mask of sorts to hide from the past, so why shouldn’t we join them? I have on a black-and-white deerstalker cap and, an 18-inch black beard. I’m Sherlock Holmes in disguise.

Fortunately I have won a few costumes in the caption contests - so now I just have to decide which one to wear:

Advie - 14 October 2013 07:40 PM

The Caveman Costume

Advie - 14 October 2013 07:40 PM

The Disco-man Costume

diego - 18 May 2014 03:59 PM

The Invisible man costume:

Any thoughts on which would be the most fitting for the occasion?

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The guy in the plaid outfit reminds me of somebody I knew in college.  The invisible man outfit is quite stunning, and you can steal chocolate without anyone suspecting it’s you. 

I’ll be wearing black pants and a black sweater with my running mummy pin on it, a yellow-orange T-shirt that says, “We have nothing to fear but fear itself…and spiders,” and a witch’s hat with spider webs on it.  Not terribly original, I know, but comfortable for playing games and jumping up every few minutes to give out candy.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I suggest NOT the caveman, as I am discovering that long beards are scratchy.

I like the pure, unpretentious minimalism of the invisible costume.

There’s something to be said for wearing red on Halloween, though. And you’d prove that disco isn’t dead.  Mini Frown

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I changed my costume.  I was cleaning out my closet tonight and came across my pith helmet, so I’m wearing a safari outfit.  Here’s my mummy pin from the Wm. Spear catalogue:
Running Mummy

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I decided to take a large swatch I had of my horse’s tail hair, cover it with part of a sheet and wear it around my head. I am playing as a ghost tail.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Becky - 30 October 2014 08:27 PM

PHANTASMAT PLAYTHROUGH – SECTION FIVE

It’s officially October 31st (AG forum time). Happy Halloween! 

And we can finally learn some answers.

You may now finish the game. Those who bought the Collector’s Edition should also play the Epilogue/Bonus Chapter and look at the extras in the bonus section, especially the character profiles.

A Few More Questions. Again, I’m putting them in spoiler tags because these questions should be read only by people who have finished the game.

1. Who or what pulled us – the player(s)—into the Drowned Dead Hotel world?
2. Where is the Proprietor’s treasure/money cache hidden?
3. In your opinion, which character most deserved his or her fate?
4. Are there common factors to the visions you experience (the ones that knock you out and leave you waking with one eye slit open)?

I’m sorry I fell behind but I’ve finished the game now. (I have the CE but need to try & catch up with Discworld 1st before playing the bonus!)

I continued with the HO screens which did, I thought, get a tad harder but there were too many of them for my liking! I thought the graphics viewed through the diving suit helmet were wonderful! The layered effect when you were travelling on the boat towards the church & then cemetery somehow reminded me of Rag, Tag & Bobtail an old ‘Watch with Mother’ TV program! The music that I didn’t mind to start with I found more and more overwhelming as the game progressed!

I’m not sure what the answers to some of the questions are but my guesses are:

1 The young assistant/bride-to-be as she was so desperate to get away.
2 I saw glimpses of the stash of money but didn’t pay too much attention but possibly somewhere underwater?
3 The hotel proprietor definitely deserved his fate & also the old lady - what kind of person kills their husband without good reason & it’s just no good regretting it shortly afterwards. Both of them are murderers!
4 The visions that stuck in my mind are of a wedding which I originally thought was to do with the young girl but of course not - it was the old lady’s so I’m intrigued to know why she wanted to poison her husband? - or did I miss or get something completely wrong here?

It was an interesting and very atmospheric game which I enjoyed playing for the 2nd time! 

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Lady K—until you provided the link, I thought that “Running Mummy” meant an athletic woman with children. Ooops. I like the wrapped-up version better.

Furgotten—I’ve never gamed with a ghost tail before. Do you make ghostly noises or trail through rooms swatting at evil horseflies?  Cool

Chrissie—I think this game had too many HO screens too, though it did help to be able to switch to Match-3. This game is old enough that HO screens hadn’t become, um, old hat at the time it was developed.

My old hat.

I have the pipe too, but the stem is all bitten to pieces.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top