• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieGabrielLady Kestrelwalas74zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #30: Discworld

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I got the first of the five items Rincewind needs, collected ten other objects, explored the city, talked to everybody on the way and heard the familiar phrase THAT DOESN’T WORK 13 times (hi zobraks!). 

Good games don’t get old, don’t need a remake. Nobody cares about a wrinkle or two when you’ve got a riveting personality. Discworld will never leave my top ten.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I traveled around the city and talked to a bunch of people but only picked up a couple of items.  I’m really interested to know what Rincewind is going to do with a tomato and a pair of pink bloomers, but I"ll have to sleep on it.  Laughing

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

At this rate,  I would probably have to re-evaluate soon the time needed per quest item. Of course this was the easiest one…

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Where is everybody?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Probably still roaming around in UU.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

In DC

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I still need to start. Haven’t found the time to game yet this week. Meh
Hopefully this evening…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I’m not going to be joining in (although I never said I would Smile) as, after playing for a few minutes, I was bored. Having played Discworld when it first came out and read (and reread!) all of the books I found I knew everything that was going on, knew all the conversations and it just became tedious. I’ll be following the play-through though.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ll be trying to catch up soon!

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Downloaded the game and starting…

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Have found the first item on the quest list, and is ready for the next part.

I have also had a nice little chat with the patrician, and the Uncle Agnes joke is just as funny now as it was the first time, especially since I don’t think that I actually got it the first time Wink

And I don’t know why, but whenever I play two games at the same time or right after each other, I always seem to find some link between the games, like I was done deliberately by the developers:

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

Well, I´m pretty sure I´ve been everywhere and talked to everybody.
Got 12 items in my luggage + the first main item. Pretty clueless about what to do with any of them, but haven´t really thought about it either. Just walking and talking.

It´s a bit of a strange experience to play this when you almost know the books by heart. It´s all very familiar, but a mix of different books and characters.
I have to admit stuff like that often put me off movies or games based on books, even when they are good. I can´t help going “that´s not how it is” and it just annoys me and kills immersion.

So far it doesn´t really bother me here though, it´s more “aha, that´s from (insert book)” and I like seeing how they interpreted different people. And I guess I can understand wanting to show as much of the discworld…world as possible.

Taking a story from the City Watch line and making it a Rincewind story though…  Shifty Eyed

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Duck of Doom - 25 October 2014 02:28 PM

I have to admit stuff like that often put me off movies or games based on books, even when they are good. I can´t help going “that´s not how it is” and it just annoys me and kills immersion.

Taking a story from the City Watch line and making it a Rincewind story though…  Shifty Eyed

Gasp

Please don’t be a purist!

It’s not the same medium, not even the same target audience, so deviation from the source material is perfectly ok…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

Don’t worry about that, I see it as a personal failing. What annoys me is that I keep focusing on the deviation from source material, instead of just enjoying the movie or the game(or comic or play or boardgame etc.). That’s nobodys fault but my own.
I think the important part is keeping true to the spirit of the source and I agree that changes are a natural part of adapting to another medium.

Probably more for a point-and-click adventure game than for many other mediums. Maybe that´s why it doesn’t actually bother me so far (just a bit weird, as I said). It’s such a different way of telling a story anyway.

I stand by my City Watch vs Rincewind emoticon though. But that’s just because it’s my favorite story line, no hate for Rincewind or the game. I love Eric Idles voice work here and he probably wouldn’t have been a good match for the voice of Vimes anyway…

Wink

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I believe that if one of the main reasons this game exists is to introduce people into the Discworld universe, thus making them read the source material, then it is spot on. At least it worked for me perfectly. I also think though that, while some of the dialogs and story concepts are taken from the novels, there is enough of unique (and of course extremely funny) material to keep the faithfull readers playing as well.

P.S. Tomorrow we will continue with more quest items. I also decided to speed up the pace a little bit. You will see…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top