• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckySpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #30: Discworld

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 25 November 2014 05:30 AM
Iznogood - 25 November 2014 12:20 AM

Yeah starting the fight is one of those things that you do, because you know that you have already done it, even if you haven’t got the slightest clue as to why you would do something like that!

Oh come on!! The Broken Drum sign caught my attention from the very beginning!  Smile

I also noticed it very early, but I don’t believe that you could actually interact with it before act 2, or perhaps I just didn’t try, whereas it is pretty obvious from very early in the game that you need to start a fight in the pub in the past. Either way in this case I think that the backwards logic is actually an advantage, we don’t need to know why we are doing it, because we already know that we have already done...  will have to do... will have to have had to do it. (I think I’m lacking the right grammatical form here)

Iznogood - 25 November 2014 12:13 AM

Anyway you won’t have spoiled anything for yourself by reading the novel first.

IMO, you seriously do. It is VERY possible that the final chapter will be not as breathtaking and funny (to say the least) as if you would have played the game first (I don’t want to say more). I still believe that it is the wrong choice of book to start with, especially before playing the game, but anyway, I hope I’m wrong. Meh

The book was first published in 1989 and the game was released in 1995, so the order in which they were meant to be read/played, or at least the order of which any self-respecting Terry Pratchett fan would have done it in, would be book first and game later Tongue

Also there are bound to be a few overlaps and minor spoilers even though they also are very different, so would you rather spoil the game or the book? Personally I think the game suffers the least from having read the book first, whereas it would be harder to distract from the game when reading the book. In fact I even think that it could be an advantage, as it would help you understand some elements in the game a little better.

Edit: And doesn’t the fact that we now have a new Terry Pratchett fan means that it was the right book to start with?

Edit Edit:

What are your chances in that outfit?

300000 to 1 - I had to check Tongue

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 25 November 2014 06:00 AM

And doesn’t the fact that we now have a new Terry Pratchett fan means that it was the right book to start with?

Believe me, every Terry Pratchet book would have been right in that logic… Smile
Our difference is that you believe that the book could be more spoiled from the game if you play first-read last, while my opinion is that since the game offers far less story elements than the book, the spoils of the game are far more noticable if you read first-play last.
I do accept that the Guards Guards novel could offer more in the aspect of understanding the world before playing the game though. But that also applies to the Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic (perhaps much more in those two) novels.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Welcome to the CP Dag. I hope you recover long before this CP is finished though.
It will be very interesting to see how long will take you to catch up with the rest of us folks.

Iznogood - 25 November 2014 12:13 AM

Ohh.. I hope it is nothing serious Dag and that you will be fine?
And welcome to the CP to both of you.

Thank you both for the concern, I appreciate that. My chiropractor suspects it may be a disc prolapse, but they can’t know for sure until after the MRI. It hurts like hell, but it’s getting a little better every day, and I’m stocked up on painkillers, so I should be fine Smile

That’s the beauty of mouse driven adventure games, they lend themselves very well to playing from a horizontal position in the couch, but I had to buy an extension cord for the mouse Wink

I’m quite pleased to find that I’m not remembering much of the game at all, particularly the puzzles, which is great, but it also means it’s gonna take a little longer to catch up with you than I first assumed. I thought I’d be able to rush through the first act on memory alone, but I played several hours last night and it didn’t take me too long to get stuck. I only managed to get two of the first 5 items (the metal container and the dragons breath. I do have some trouble focusing though, due to the back pain.

However, it’s a fun game to be stuck in, with lots to explore and loads of hilarious characters to talk to. The dialogue heaviness doesn’t bother me at all, because the quality of the writing is on par with that of Pratchett (if I don’t remember incorrectly, he is credited under “too much interference”, so I’m guessing he was making sure everything was being done to his satisfaction Smile ).

I’d forgotten how incredibly funny the game is, and caught myself laughing out loud on several occasions (for example, the guards at the palace and their chatter about the other one’s wife’s facial features etc. I find absolutely hilarious).

I still feel that Tony Robinson has been a little overused for the VO’s. I got nothing against him, I loved him in Blackadder, but his range of voices isn’t exactly impressive, and 70% of the characters in the game sounds exactly like Baldrick Tongue

Gonna play for a while now, I’m loving it Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Dag - 25 November 2014 10:43 AM

(if I don’t remember incorrectly, he is credited under “too much interference”, so I’m guessing he was making sure everything was being done to his satisfaction Smile )

That’s how he was credited for Discworld: Noir.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

I still feel that Tony Robinson has been a little overused for the VO’s. I got nothing against him, I loved him in Blackadder, but his range of voices isn’t exactly impressive, and 70% of the characters in the game sounds exactly like Baldrick Tongue

I knew I´d heard that voice (..those voices) somewhere before!

- So, I´m back in the game. My laptop is still on the ropes, but I booted my husbands old gaming-pc up and played through the game again last night. Managed to get all the objects before i had to call it a night. Now i´m going back in, so I can deliver them.

I realized that I didn´t remember where I picked up a lot of things. I think the “stuffing the frog down past-Rincewinds throat” puzzle would have been a lot easier, if I had remembered where I´d got the d*** frog from in the first place.
This time I ended up being stuck, for a little while, looking for the glass.... Which I picked up by doing random things in my first playthrough.

It´s good to see that the mellow speed is letting some more people join in (and apparently other circumstances as well, which is less good- I hope the pain gets more manageable soon Dag).
I think I´m gonna start reading through my Discworld collection again as well. An obvious chance to find out which of the missing books I need on my christmas list…. 
Money Mouth

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

TimovieMan - 25 November 2014 11:33 AM

(if I don’t remember incorrectly, he is credited under “too much interference”, so I’m guessing he was making sure everything was being done to his satisfaction Smile )

That’s how he was credited for Discworld: Noir.

Right you are! I knew I’d seen it somewhere Smile

Duck of Doom - 25 November 2014 12:02 PM

(I hope the pain gets more manageable soon Dag).

Thanks a lot m8 Smile

I got 4 of the 5 first items now, missing only the Magic Staff which Sefir said was the easiest one! Tongue

Am I not supposed to just snatch it while he’s looking away? That’s how I remember it, but I’ve tried it quite a few times unsuccessfully. Am I just being too slow, or was there more to that puzzle?

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

Nah, he´s not that old. You need a replacement...

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Ah, of course! Thanks Grin

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Phew! I finally found all the gold items and took them to our scaly “friend.”  Talk about ingratitude! Smile

Edit:  I posted before I had read this last page.  I’m glad you’re able to play despite your back, Dag.  I hope it feels better soon.

I started reading through all of the Discworld books in order a few years ago, and I’m glad I did it that way because I had a chance to see the characters develop and deepen.  I also loved it that a main character in one book would pop up in a cameo role in another.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

My chiropractor suspects it may be a disc prolapse

Grin Grin Grin
Sorry for laughing, but this is too much of a coincidence!!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 18 November 2014 03:57 PM

Getting the 3 last items was not difficult at all, since I already had all the items I needed, though finding the thief did give me a little problem, as I must have walked through the shades a hundred times before I noticed you could walk further right to get to the hovel.

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

I completely missed that part of the screen and kept wondering where I’d find the thief.

I now have all the items and gave them to the dragon. Will try to reach Act III this evening…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve reached Act III! Cool

Sefir - 23 November 2014 07:11 AM

Whoever has finished the Act 2 on time (And that’s just Iznogood btw) can have a little search to find the hero equation. No searches for the actual quest items though. Let us do this together! Smile

Umm, Act III started with a conversation at the city gates that immediately showed me the equation. I didn’t have to do any searching… ???

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Sefir - 25 November 2014 04:02 PM

My chiropractor suspects it may be a disc prolapse

Grin Grin Grin
Sorry for laughing, but this is too much of a coincidence!!

Haha, yes, it’s quite fitting for this CP Tongue

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Lady Kestrel - 25 November 2014 02:00 PM

I started reading through all of the Discworld books in order a few years ago, and I’m glad I did it that way because I had a chance to see the characters develop and deepen.

When I originally started reading the books many years ago I started out of order, actually with Feet of Clay as the first, but luckily I soon realised that it was a mistake and quickly started to read them in the correct order, at least within the different lines as shown in the picture posted earlier by Sefir.

Lady Kestrel - 25 November 2014 02:00 PM

I also loved it that a main character in one book would pop up in a cameo role in another.

My absolute favourite cameo appearance is when Cohen the Barbarian and his Silver Horde suddenly has a major role in Interesting Times after not being a part of the series since the first 2 books - And now it just struck me, isn’t this actually the Silver Horde?

TimovieMan - 25 November 2014 04:33 PM

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

You’re welcome, I’m just glad that I was not the only one who had problems with that.

TimovieMan - 25 November 2014 06:32 PM

Umm, Act III started with a conversation at the city gates that immediately showed me the equation. I didn’t have to do any searching… ???

But is the equation correct!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Iznogood - 26 November 2014 03:08 AM

My absolute favourite cameo appearance is when Cohen the Barbarian and his Silver Horde suddenly has a major role in Interesting Times after not being a part of the series since the first 2 books - And now it just struck me, isn’t this actually the Silver Horde?

Yes, I thought that as soon as I heard them talk about their daring adventures.

Did you read the illustrated book of their adventures?  The drawings are just the way I pictured them.

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top