• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Are adventure games really making a comeback?

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2014-08-09

PM

In today’s age you can’t say the word SCUMM without being smacked in the face maliciously by someone who should know better. Everywhere you look you can behold the past. We hold onto the past like we hold onto our tablets and mobile devices. We seem to do this because we fear to forget who we are and what was important to us. However in the world of gaming we seem to leave the past behind and we are happy to embrace the latest evolution in graphics and gameplay. We bow down and worship 1080p with a passion that could only be surpassed by our love for pictures of cats on the internet.

Even though adventure games in general are seeing a rise in popularity, I still feel that these great games do not get the love they deserve. We seem to forget that before mind blowing cinematics we had to get by on beautifully hand drawn scenes and well written story. The games we see today would not be without the pioneering work of games such as Monkey island, day of the tentacle, the dig, grim fandango and much more.

I touch upon this topic because it really upsets me when I see great pioneers, pioneers that worked on these games of old, find it difficult to continue there work because there is not enough demand. I appreciate that Telltale, double fine and crimson cow have managed to modernise and keep alive the adventure game genera but there have been other worthy developers that struggle. A good place to see this struggle is on kickstarter. I have seen a good string of adventure games fail on kickstarter. Adventure games that look incredible and have very intriguing plots. I do not know if this is due to promotion or the lack of demand. What I can say is that I am very saddened when I see brilliant talent struggle to bring us that great adventure experience due to not finding enough funds. As a current example, Duke Grabowski on kickstarter, from the talent of Bill Tiller and Gene Mocsy, have not reached half way yet with their funding. I would have expected that the man who brought us the art for curse of monkey island to easily find the support he needs. Are adventure games really coming back? Or are they only just creeping through the woodwork? I would love nothing more then to see adventure games get their day again. The day when people put down their machine guns, exit their MOBA’s and MMO’s and actually find a point to their clicking.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I think the enthusiasm level for these projects has waned considerably since two years ago. Some kickstarters from veterans than have either not been released, been incomplete, or haven’t been what people expected.  I thought some have been quite good, but I think two years ago, we had unabashed enthusiasm which has been tempered with time.

Bt

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

I’ve watched and read various very good tribute videos and articles on the net about Adventure games and they wall talk about a period of death of the genre and a small interest in adventure games again.

I personally believe the genre never died.The golden age of adventure gaming was definetely in the late 80s to mid 90s,but that doesn’t mean the genre has died.It just went through different periods.There are dozens and dozens of very good adventure games that have been out since the mid-2000s up to now.

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I think its other way around, current demographics are rapidly changing, with fads like tablets and other stuff. Moreover Devs of AG themselves are confuse where to strike for best results, like both Tim and JJ had some share of casual base in their mind to streamline the game into tablets. The Return of emotional investment is also low in case of games by Legends like Tim and JJ, their KS games are weakest in their careers.

Plus AG is a niche genre like Survival Horror, if it goes totally hardcore, it becomes even more hard to please more people, meaning less ROI for Devs , so there are lots of factors.

We need old/new AG Devs to reinvent the enthusiasm by making a breakthrough game, like
Quantic Dream who inspired TTG and set the chain in motion. Some Dev with kickass
Adv game that can force other devs to copy and start the craze. Untill then we will have
random quality with random results.

Are they making comeback??

Yes they already have, pointed out earlier but if you look at the list,
Witness, EthanCarter, EGTRapture, TTGs, Armikrog, DreamFall, Firewatch, Qdream next project, SOMA, Draugen, Life is strange, KZO Vane, Rime and Obradin etc.

I am more than happy than i ever was. I think people will do fine as long as they keep
their definition of AGs more broad.

I played 2 best AG this year, KZ0 and P.T, DRonpa2 will be third for sure Smile.

tl;dr = Legends of PnC oldschool need to do what TTG or Kojima did. P.T should be case study for budget and other excuses.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

They never died. When the games dried up in the US - in Europe they took off.

Somewhere in the world adventure games have always been popular.

Today, the US, Europe and Japan all make adventure games - and good ones too.

In 1986 when I played my first adventure game on the C128 - only Infocom made them. I bought a variety of games for the C128 and of course loved the Infocom adventure games too.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

It is a comeback of sorts, but mostly for the lover of 3rd person traditional point & clickers. Several years ago you could have said we were having a renaissance of Myst-like exploration in solitude games, especially of the horror variety. If you are the type of person who loves those games, I imagine you would be pretty depressed with what is being offered in the way of new material. I doubt Bracken Tor will ever be released.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

yes, but then by then, it was walking dead Shifty Eyed

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I wouldn’t say it’s a comeback as much as “life finds a way”. Triple A devs couldn’t justify the development costs for hi-def titles so adventure game designers found new avenues: digital downloads, handheld, tablets and the long-tail business model. That transition did take its sweet time though.

Once in a while someone rolls the dice on a big budget adventure game but it usually and unfortunately falls flat. Nonetheless, as long as those risks are still being taken I think there’s nothing to worry about.

I’m currently waiting for Danganronpa 2 in the mail and I’m just as excited for that as I was for Discworld 2 or Twinsen’s Odyssey back in “the day”.

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Foinikas - 02 September 2014 06:17 PM

I personally believe the genre never died.The golden age of adventure gaming was definetely in the late 80s to mid 90s,but that doesn’t mean the genre has died.It just went through different periods.There are dozens and dozens of very good adventure games that have been out since the mid-2000s up to now.

Agree that adventure genre never dies coz undead already.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 02 September 2014 08:40 PM

I doubt Bracken Tor will ever be released.

Read a few days ago at Adventure-Treff that Matt Clark is still at it: Reworking locations and adding new puzzles.

Gasp

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2007-05-25

PM

Dean&Kate; - 02 September 2014 04:27 PM

In today’s age you can’t say the word SCUMM without being smacked in the face maliciously by someone who should know better. Everywhere you look you can behold the past. We hold onto the past like we hold onto our tablets and mobile devices. We seem to do this because we fear to forget who we are and what was important to us. However in the world of gaming we seem to leave the past behind and we are happy to embrace the latest evolution in graphics and gameplay. We bow down and worship 1080p with a passion that could only be surpassed by our love for pictures of cats on the internet.

Even though adventure games in general are seeing a rise in popularity, I still feel that these great games do not get the love they deserve. We seem to forget that before mind blowing cinematics we had to get by on beautifully hand drawn scenes and well written story. The games we see today would not be without the pioneering work of games such as Monkey island, day of the tentacle, the dig, grim fandango and much more.

I touch upon this topic because it really upsets me when I see great pioneers, pioneers that worked on these games of old, find it difficult to continue there work because there is not enough demand. I appreciate that Telltale, double fine and crimson cow have managed to modernise and keep alive the adventure game genera but there have been other worthy developers that struggle. A good place to see this struggle is on kickstarter. I have seen a good string of adventure games fail on kickstarter. Adventure games that look incredible and have very intriguing plots. I do not know if this is due to promotion or the lack of demand. What I can say is that I am very saddened when I see brilliant talent struggle to bring us that great adventure experience due to not finding enough funds. As a current example, Duke Grabowski on kickstarter, from the talent of Bill Tiller and Gene Mocsy, have not reached half way yet with their funding. I would have expected that the man who brought us the art for curse of monkey island to easily find the support he needs. Are adventure games really coming back? Or are they only just creeping through the woodwork? I would love nothing more then to see adventure games get their day again. The day when people put down their machine guns, exit their MOBA’s and MMO’s and actually find a point to their clicking.

Nice post Dean & Kate! There are currently so many adventure games on the way that it is difficult to keep track. That was not the case even a few short years ago. I’d say they are definitely making a comeback, and I am happy to be around to witness it!

P.S. ‘Tis I, Typhoon McTaggart. Good to see you around these parts Red Beard, ya braggart!

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2014-08-09

PM

ARRRRR Typhoon McTaggart my mortal enemy! However due to your contribution to this thread I would allow you to Parlay!

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

I have no doubt adventures games are making a comeback (once more).
The focus shifted for a while to the old designer legends and this development was obviously kickstarted by Tim Schafer. But it has also become painfully obvious that many of those old legends saw an opportunity and grabbed it without being prepared. I think it’s a huge difference between working in a specific role in an established company and running your own. Also the world has kept turning and you can see exactly who of those people kept up to date and who was left behind or did nothing at all. It’s no surprise Double Fine and Revolution fared quite well while others are failing hard. The money is very important, of course, but know-how and experience are huge factors, too. And many have neither as far as their new roles go. That’s also a reason why I’m hugely skeptical about another approach we can witness right now, which is giving formerly big IPs to cheap and inexperienced teams, probably in the hope that the big names will bring in some cash anyway, and that adventure fans have become used to mediocre quality, anyway.

As for Duke Grabowsky, I think it’s mainly bad timing. Would they have run this campaign a couple of months ago, when people where still excited about KS and as the first Bill Tiller project on KS, they would have reached their goal easily by now and more. It seems like a sensible scope and they are licensing an engine this time. (I know this is a different group, but most people will not differentiate like that.)
However, taking part in the Kaptain Brawe campaign directly before his own was a huge mistake by Bill. He explained his reasoning in the other thread and it makes sense, but it was simply a bad decision in my opinion, affecting press coverage and general reception by many of those who are not avid fans.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Mikekelly - 02 September 2014 08:02 PM

They never died. When the games dried up in the US - in Europe they took off.

^This - Some of the best AG’s are actually made in the post-golden-age era.

And I agree that the problem with Duke Grabowsky is mainly a question of bad timing.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

No, they won’t until we have a Monkey Island 3/6 (whatever) made with at least 50 million $ budget.
In the Golden Age adventures were the flagships of the gaming industry with budgets that reflected that.

If we still stay satisfied with crumbs from the table, we’ll never climb from mediocrity.

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

I have to say though that there are a lot of bad quality indie games out there that are being fed to us on the net by the dozens and I keep seeing every kind of horror,strategy,action RPG,first person adventure,third person retro-style adventure,zombie and dota copies out there,low quality…I guess some indie game successes have made a gazzillion people out there think that they too can make an awesome game by making a copy out of a sucessful game and not to mention Kickstarter where every developer big or small is trying to make a game by having the people fund it.

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top