• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

DVD’s that need Steam activation (Gold Rush! Anniversary)

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2012-03-07

PM

Some time ago Revolution announced at their BS5 Kickstarter page that the dvd edition would require Steam activation, which resulted in an outcry of the backers (they will get a drm-free dvd now).

In my mailbox I got an offer to pre-order Gold Rush! Anniversary, and when I checked the site it appeared that the dvd box requires also Steam activation. I wrote to them and got some (nice) replies, because I think dvd’s that need Steam activation (or have drm protection) will only promote piracy. They answered they would also release a drm-free version at Gog, and to my surprise too that they will consider to make drm-free versions of the dvd.
Can anyone enlighten me why one would buy a dvd that’s needs Steam activation, if one can also download the game at Steam or another portal, or even obtain a drm-free download? I simply don’t understand why publishers choose for this option. (Even with Steam activation/drm protection games will be cracked, so what is the reason to do this?)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Sometime ago some brilliant mind decided that having online activation would do anything to stop piracy and they started to use the worst methods possible that included SecuROM and other terrible software like that. The negative feedback was immense and since people usually don’t mind using Steam (and makes it simple to use the multiplayer structure of Steam and Steamworks) companies just changed the online DRM of physical media for Steam.
Of course none of that made any change to piracy but even single player games use now…

I personally don’t mind it, but I don’t use physical media so I can get the Steam code out of better retail deals and some people simply don’t want to buy stuff online and still want to use Steam.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sometimes you can actually buy a DVD version in a local online shop and have it mailed, for less money than it cost to buy a download version of a game.

This is however rarely the case for Steam games and even rarer for adventure games, but more a case of EA/Origin games and others that uses their own “steam” software. I guess that the reason is that they don’t want to undercut their distribution network by selling the game cheaper themselves, added with the wonders of regional pricing.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Ages ago when I still bought physical copies of games a couple of AAA titles I got had a Steam activation in them. I stopped buying pgysical games at that time, as that pretty much stops me from selling those copies, so I came into conclusion that I’ll be doing only digital for now.

Joined 2012-03-07

PM

Exactly! That’s why I asked them too if they weren’t interested in selling the dvd’s.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

robert foster - 01 September 2014 05:57 AM

Can anyone enlighten me why one would buy a dvd that’s needs Steam activation, if one can also download the game at Steam or another portal, or even obtain a drm-free download? I simply don’t understand why publishers choose for this option.

Downloading an entire game takes a lot more bandwidth than activating a game that’s already been installed, even if activation includes downloading and installing the Steam Client (which is only about 1.6 MB).

Not everyone has an Internet connections that is fast and/or stable enough to make downloading a large game (or even any game) practical. And some people have download caps on how much they can download, having their connection either cut off or having their speed throttled down to the kilobit/sec range if a download exceeds their cap. This can even occur if their connection supposedly has “unlimited” bandwidth. ISP’s aren’t always straight with you about what they actually provide you with.

So a physical disk with Steam serves a purpose for those with bandwidth limitations.

Joined 2012-03-07

PM

Crabapple: That’s a good reason, hadn’t thought about that (spoiled). So these people need a dvd. But there’s still no need to add Steam activation I guess, and people who can access the portals probably won’t buy such a dvd.

But there’s GOOD news for those who are interested in “Gold Rush! Anniversary!” I got an email that they discussed it and that there will be a Steam/DRM free box edition. It’s now announced at their site as well (see the features at the pre-order page).

Well done, Sunlight Games. Hope that all developers will follow your steps. My two cents: always release a demo or an informative trailer/part of gameplay (so there’s no need to try a crack) and trust your customers.

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Anyone bought the goldrush anniversary edition?
I have to say it is very expensive (30 EUR), for a remake of an old game.
If I look at the gameplay:

It looks now more like mid nineties very average AG. However, the voice overs seems decent.
I wonder why they decided to make this remake anyway? Is there, like with GK1, an ambition to make a proper new sequel?

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

30 euros sounds pretty over priced to me. Based on that gameplay vid 10 would be highest I’d be willing to go. And yeah, it doesn’t look that great either graphically speaking. I dig the look of the original agi game more.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top