• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckychrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

And the title of the next Simon The Sorcerer is…

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

diego - 30 August 2014 05:54 PM

Also, don’t get too obsessed with Simon getting older, time-span doesn’t matter in sequels.

That totally depends on the story they’re telling. It could matter hugely.

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

More games should take into account real time aging between sequels honestly.

It worked great for Tex Murphy!

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

noknowncure - 31 August 2014 05:30 AM
diego - 30 August 2014 05:54 PM

Also, don’t get too obsessed with Simon getting older, time-span doesn’t matter in sequels.

That totally depends on the story they’re telling. It could matter hugely.

Jim Purcell - 31 August 2014 05:41 AM

OK, I agree - but ONLY if it’s specifically stated the time had passed for some purpose, like mentioned in the intro or something. My point is, if you’re going to make the character older only because it was 10 years from the last installment, then there’s no need to do it.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2013-05-13

PM

There’s going to be some implications around it but, mostly, it’s a humour game. So the fact that Simon is 20 years older it’s important for the sake of many of the jokes and character development. As much character development as Simon the Sorcerer can have.

Also we thought that it would be something neat for players that have aged with him.
Anyway, that ship has sailed :p

Simon (the Sorcerer) doesn’t appreciate that you’re not following the news of his upcoming adventure!
http://www.storybeasts.com is the place to go for updates and such.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I love the new concept sketches with or without the pony tail. They definitely convey sarcastic, immature self absorbed slacker. So, it’s perfect Smile

The background art is also very good, really looking forward to this

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

WrongTarget - 31 August 2014 06:24 AM

Anyway, that ship has sailed :p

IT HAZ SHIPZ?!

Wooohoooooooooo…...

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Jim Purcell - 31 August 2014 05:41 AM

With Tex games they pretty much have to because of FMV and that Chris Jones isn’t immortal.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Yeah, when the characters aren’t played by real persons you don’t need to take into account the real time passed. We could definitely play a GK game that continues right after or a few years from GK3 and that would be very interesting and fun. And any other game could easily continue in whatever time period, earlier or later.

But then again I would not mind if the heroes aged liked us players do. This could be used more. It’s just rarely a necessity.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Both can work depending on what you want as a developer.

For example in Broken Sword the characters not only doesn’t age, but the whole relationship between George and Nico also doesn’t evolve, but more or less stays exactly the same throughout the whole series. It’s almost like each game in the series is the first and not sequels to previous games.

Then you have a series like Monkey Island where the characters does age a bit, and the whole relationship between Guybrush and Elaine does evolve, they get engaged and married etc. But it is more like each game continues where the previous left with only a small interval between, than it reflects the actual time between each game.

And then you of course have games like Tesla Effect that follows a more or less real time-line, in this case for obvious reasons.

Personally I’m not a big fan of the BS approach, I like the whole idea that the characters and the relationship between them also evolve, otherwise it is just the same story being told again and again… Whereas if they do evolve then the individual stories also come together and form a larger story.

In other words, I quite like the idea that we now get an older and (perhaps) more mature Simon.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

The new sketch is great improvement. Keep up the good work!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I don’t get why people keep saying Simon is a ‘slacker’. He did an enormous amount of work helping people in the first 3 games, and he only really took on that obnoxious, lazy persona in the 4th and 5th games. Besides, anyone willing to eat even one bite of Swampy’s Stew can NOT be called a slacker.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I always thought Simon was lazy in the good way, the smart way. Figuring out ways to do things easier. Sometimes slacking is good.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Exactly, Millenia. That’s why I think many love his personality. He was always running into lazy people taken from fantasy where everyone is supposed to be brave and noble, and who had something for him to do, and he was always ‘oh very well I’ll do your errands for you’ while he could have said ‘screw this i’m going home’. Definitely more of a knight-errant than a villain. He just doesn’t come across as a ‘do-gooder’ because he has that type of sarcastic English personality. He was a good guy but somewhere in the sequels that changed and he became unlikeable, and I think that was a mistake. I hope this new game rectifies that.

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

Oscar - 02 September 2014 08:25 PM

Exactly, Millenia. That’s why I think many love his personality. He was always running into lazy people taken from fantasy where everyone is supposed to be brave and noble, and who had something for him to do, and he was always ‘oh very well I’ll do your errands for you’ while he could have said ‘screw this i’m going home’. Definitely more of a knight-errant than a villain. He just doesn’t come across as a ‘do-gooder’ because he has that type of sarcastic English personality. He was a good guy but somewhere in the sequels that changed and he became unlikeable, and I think that was a mistake. I hope this new game rectifies that.

From my POV, this is a spectacular misreading of the Simon character.  I’m most familiar with the first two games, so am speaking from experience from those, but Simon was a lazy, curmudgeonly, vindictive misanthrope, but he was likeable to the audience, partly because it’s fun to be rude to people in a way we can’t always be in the real world, but importantly, because his sarcasm and cheek was funny - also, his fish out of water status, general uselessness at ‘sorcery’, the lack of respect he received from the majority of other characters and that fact that we repeatedly see him suffer in one way or another, are all factors that lower his status and make his sarcasm more palatable, as he’s - usually - ‘punching up,’ or has been through enough misery for us to allow him to occasionally punch down. 

The 4th and 5th games were horribly unfunny, which is ultimately why Simon became so unlikeable.  There was nothing to take the edge off.  That emphasises the importance of a strong comic sensibility - there’s more to writing a loveable misanthrope than, “Character is sarcastic.”

As for, “Screw this, I’m going home,” trying to get home was a major motivating factor for his actions.  The second game in particular is essentially, “Screw this, I want to go home.”

Almost everything he did was out of selfishness and, given the opportunity to insult, deride or harm someone, particularly if they’d annoyed or slighted him, he’d seize it.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I think both interpretations might be kinda biased. He’s not that good, and not that bad of a guy. But it’s been ages since I played the games, and I never fully played more than the first two (I think I did play a demo of a third or something). If I do that Simon marathon someday I’ll definitely pay attention to his character and its development.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top