• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkCarles

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

And the title of the next Simon The Sorcerer is…

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

Zifnab - 28 August 2014 04:41 AM
Jim Purcell - 28 August 2014 02:09 AM
Zifnab - 28 August 2014 12:23 AM

Yikes, why is he so pale? Are you sure you’re not remaking Simon the Zombie?

Check your monitor brightness, because that’s normal flesh tone if I’ve ever seen it.

Sure, if you live in Siberia.

If it is Simon 20 years later, he has either spent those 20 years playing AGs in his attic or invented a reverse-tanning sunbed.

Or, Super VGA’s color pallets just made flesh tones way more red and flush then they needed to be back in the day.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2013-05-13

PM

Hello everybody. We’re working hard using your feedback and have made some radical adjustments to Simon’s face, but we will like to have more than one proposal before show you that.

So right now, I’m just gonna show you how Simon looks walking, with longer-less-awkward arms.

Simon (the Sorcerer) doesn’t appreciate that you’re not following the news of his upcoming adventure!
http://www.storybeasts.com is the place to go for updates and such.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Still appears a bit tall-and-thin. Maybe make him a bit thicker?
It works for me, though.

Just try to make his jeans not pop “through” his shirt around his waist while walking… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Looks good to me.  Reminds me of Neville Longbottom.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lambonius - 28 August 2014 03:13 PM

Looks good to me.  Reminds me of Neville Longbottom.

Shouldn’t Simon be more mischievous than a Neville Longbottom? More along the lines of one of the Weasley twins? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Much better now. Maybe alter his nose a little (but just a little, I don’t have a problem with big pointy noses, but this is just a tad too much) and yes give him some mischievous expression that goes well with his character.

Joined 2013-05-13

PM

After the timid reception of our Simon design, we’ve been working on some new options evaluating all the feedback we’ve gotten.
This is one the sketches our concept artist has created, depicting two different type of hairstyles cause we also need some help with that decision.

One of the biggest challenges so far it’s that, IMO, everybody has a different perception on how Simon looks.
Since the art from Simon 1 and 2 was still very imprecise in terms of character face details (because of the nature of that style of pixel art), and the depiction of Simon there was so different from Simon’s Pinball, and all of these so different from Simon’s 3D and its concept art and even more different from Simon 4th and 5th…well, how his face looks it’s pretty much floating somewhere in our collective conciousness.

What most gamers seem to agree though is on its personality traits and even some of his hobbies. That’s what we’re trying to convey. Something that looks like a Simon would feel.
Do you think this is an improvement? Does it feel more like an older Simon who is still pretty much the same sarcastic, immature slacker?

Simon (the Sorcerer) doesn’t appreciate that you’re not following the news of his upcoming adventure!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I like this sketch much better. There’s something about the chin beard that suits the character pretty well. The color scheme looks good. Out of the two hair styles I prefer to non-ponytail version, the messy grunge style seems very fitting.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I at least like the big nose, don’t get the complaints. The “newer” nose isn’t as good to me.

And I like the logos 2 and 6 like many others.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I think you guys need to just pick a style and own it.  You can’t design an adventure game by committee, especially not THIS committee.  Wink  This community has so many different opinions on everything—you’d be setting yourself up for pure disaster.

That said, I like all of these new sketches—I do think the pony tail feels a bit 90s, but if that’s what you’re going for, it works.  Smile

Joined 2013-05-13

PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.
@Lambonius we’re aware that we won’t be able to please everyone and in the end our own vision will prevail, but it’s just the approach we’ve chosen for development to take all feedback first.
We’ve not only posted on AG. We’ve received a lot of feedback from gamers in german forums and spanish forums (both big fans of the Simon series) and also from some Indie Dev communities.
The majority seems to not like our original Simon design, so that’s why we’re tackling it. We’re creative and will defend our work,  but for it to work, it has to sell! Smile
Don’t worry, we won’t be incorporating every opinion that anybody gives though. That’d be a mess.
Cheers. Keep that input coming.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I like the ponytail sketch. It’s precisely because it feels a bit 90s that it enhances Simon’s immature streak. The chin strap beard seems fitting. I approve! Thumbs Up

Oh, and I agree with Lambonius that you can’t design anything by THIS committee… Tongue
We’re a bunch of bickering old farts… Grin

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

So much better and this time he looks like he hasn’t stepped out of a grave. The ponytail works for me.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Like the new sketches much more - I would loose the ponytail though - And I still think he should have just a little bit more stomach, he is after all a lazy person, and you don’t stay slim by laying on the couch.

Lambonius - 29 August 2014 03:56 PM

You can’t design an adventure game by committee, especially not THIS committee.  Wink  This community has so many different opinions on everything—you’d be setting yourself up for pure disaster.

What do you mean? This forum is a picture perfect harmonic utopia where everybody agrees and we always reach consensus about everything… Oh… Sorry… Wrong forum… I though I was posting in the political forum about the situation in the middle east Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

It’s one of the best 2D backgrounds I’ve seen lately in years! I agree the character models could use more work, though - they look cheap (is that Calypso, or Bart’s “Frog prince”?). Also, don’t get too obsessed with Simon getting older, time-span doesn’t matter in sequels.

I’m actually glad it’s an “interactive feedback” production, that’s exciting because it’s rare the authors show that much of a commitment (we had something similar with Guybrush’s models in Monkey Island 2 remake).

Also, you could argue many things about Simon 4/5, but not that it featured good-as-it-gets Simon from re-imagining pixels in the original to 3D.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top