• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #29: Syberia

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

A note about the opening I still wonder about. The game has indeed one of the most beautiful - and symbolic - openings I know (and a great ending with a very nice detail as well), with the head of the automaton drummer popping up behind the bridge and the funeral procession. In his previous game (Amerzone) Sokal managed to create another, archetypical opening, with the mailman on his bike on the long country road delivering a message, with the lighthouse in the background, the wind blowing and the birds that fly across the road (see YouTube). The question is whether the members of the procession are persons or automatons. They walk in a mechanical way, so they seem to be automatons, but they look more advanced than “model xz2000.” ;-) But they could be persons too (the French strategy guide speaks about a “procession d’hommes en noir”), and in that case the way they move might be seen as a tribute to Anna and her automaton factory. Just a detail, not very important (as the riddle where they have gone after entering the factory).

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Andraste - 28 August 2014 03:53 AM

I’m also stunned at how beautiful it is, especially for a game that came out twelve years ago. As it happens, I was just playing Knights of the Old Republic, which came out the year after this, and the contrast in graphical quality is startling. (I mean, obviously BioWare had things to spend money on other than backgrounds of very pretty toy factories. But still, it highlights the achievement of Syberia.)

Rendering beautiful backgrounds to use in a 2D or 2.5D game with fixed cameras will always give you better results than needing to render 3D images real-time, hence Syberia aging better than KotOR.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

mart - 28 August 2014 06:27 AM

The question is whether the members of the procession are persons or automatons.

I would definitely say that they are automatons, at least that is how I have always seen it. Where they disappear to after the funeral is of course a bit of a mystery, but much of this game should really be seen as symbolic instead of literal, so this mystery doesn’t really bother me… much… before you mentioned it!

I have always really like this opening scene, it is perhaps the best opening scenes in all the AG’s I have played, I might elaborate on this later, as I’m a bit busy right now.

Let me just share this youtube review / interpretation of the game, it is quite good though it does contain spoilers, so those that haven’t played the game before should probably wait watching it until the end of this CP.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

But if they are indeed automatons, the mystery is even bigger (where did they go)! Just kidding, I also perceived them originally as automatons, and I tried to give an interpretation to the view in the strategy guide.
You are quite right that (much in) this game has to be interpreted in a symbolic - not literal - way. Nevertheless I hope I am allowed to present some nitpicking later on (using the spoiler tag).
The video you refer to, a joy to watch, is quite lyrical and perceives the game rightly as art, and I think Syberia is on the same level as some of the best novels that were written. Sokal presents himself here as a master in graphical story telling. (There are many games with excessive dialogue, and I still have to chuckle - this is the fourth time I am playing the game - when I meet npc’s in the game that just utter a line or even keep their mouth shut - for instance the cleaner who is only whistling, or the female gardener who only reports her problem.)

@TimmovieMan: For a long time I preferred pre-rendered backgrounds, as the 3D/realtime games had indeed much less quality in the past. According to Sokal on Syberia: “every scene is a 3D environment on which we are applying a pre-rendered background. If we didn’t have that 3D environment (created with a 3d graphics engine), the characters couldn’t walk, couldn’t hit chairs or tables…”

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

mart - 28 August 2014 11:32 AM

If we didn’t have that 3D environment (created with a 3d graphics engine), the characters couldn’t walk, couldn’t hit chairs or tables…”

Yeah, but it’s also all pre-rendered, which made it possible for the environment to be a LOT more detailed than in a 3D game (with a free-moving camera) where everything needs to be rendered on-the-fly. That was precisely my point…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m playing the game on Steam, and when I used the “windows” key to minimize the game, upon returning I found a black screen, with Kate looking very odd.

I think I’ll see if I have better luck next time with alt-tab.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yeah, but it’s also all pre-rendered, which made it possible for the environment to be a LOT more detailed than in a 3D game (with a free-moving camera) where everything needs to be rendered on-the-fly. That was precisely my point…

I’ve read that adventure gamers prefer their games to be made this way. I know I love the look of Syberia (even on a DS) and it looks great even today.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 28 August 2014 09:15 AM

I would definitely say that they are automatons, at least that is how I have always seen it.

Of course they are automatons! Why would anyone think otherwise? Just look at them:

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

TimovieMan - 29 August 2014 06:34 AM
Iznogood - 28 August 2014 09:15 AM

I would definitely say that they are automatons, at least that is how I have always seen it.

Of course they are automatons! Why would anyone think otherwise? Just look at them:

Because of the two reasons I stated (though I also considered them as automatons originally, and just made the comment to point out there exists a different opinion). 
Btw, in the quote Sokal also mentions the pre-rendered backgrounds, so there’s no misunderstanding here. I added the info in case some where wondering about how it was done (e.g. interacting with the automaton desk bell at the inn - with the nice reflection of the hammer when it hits the bell). But since the awkward 3D screens of adventure games in the beginning (for example GK3) much progress has been made, and the Unreal Engine looks certainly impressive, though some will still prefer a game with graphics like in Syberia.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 29 August 2014 06:34 AM

Well, mart did made me doubt for just a second, so I can understand why some might see it otherwise.

Becky - 28 August 2014 08:11 PM

I’m playing the game on Steam, and when I used the “windows” key to minimize the game, upon returning I found a black screen, with Kate looking very odd.

I think I’ll see if I have better luck next time with alt-tab.

There are some games that simply don’t like to be moved to the background with alt-tab, and will constantly crash when it is done. I can’t remember If Syberia is one of those, but if it happens again you know.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Iznogood - 29 August 2014 07:21 AM

There are some games that simply don’t like to be moved to the background with alt-tab, and will constantly crash when it is done. I can’t remember If Syberia is one of those, but if it happens again you know.

Syberia doesn’t like alt-tab. I’ve experienced an odd problem with the GOG download which led me to use alt-tab and the game locked up by so doing. The problem?

When playing the voice cylinder the game prompted me to put the Syberia DVD into the drive and, obviously, I had no DVD. Hunted out the original CDs to see if they worked but, no go. Since the game was obviously looking for the cut scene to play and it appeared to be missing from the GOG download I decided to try installing the original game with a minimal install to see if I could get access to the file that way and here I hit a bit of luck. Somewhat surprisingly the game installed with only one minor problem and that was downgrading the graphics settings (flickered horribly doing this). Even more surprisingly the game saw my GOG save games. Ran from the last one of those past playing the voice cylinder, saved and went back to the GOG version where the game progressed quite happily and I’m now at the station at Barrockstadt.
It would appear that I could have saved myself some money by attempting to install onto my system (Windows 7 64 bit) but I’m glad I didn’t as the DVD graphics are definitely better than the CD graphics.

Definitely the superb looking game I remember although I still find Oscar irritating.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

But since the awkward 3D screens of adventure games in the beginning (for example GK3) much progress has been made, and the Unreal Engine looks certainly impressive, though some will still prefer a game with graphics like in Syberia.

True, today’s 3D games look great - “Beyond Two Souls” is a good example of this. However, if an adventure game is released today that looks as good as Syberia - it would still be considered a beautiful game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

@Jabod (“Definitely the superb looking game I remember although I still find Oscar irritating.”)

But - almost - everyone loves Oscar! I understand though that you may dislike him because of his formalism. Hope at least you don’t hate all automatons for in that case the first act will be tough on you.:-)) I have two other examples I disliked in the first part (will post them later on, hope I will not be banned).

Here are some shots, as I see some have arrived at Barrockstadt already. Perhaps some of you have missed the first one, so I add it here. Remember the gardener complaining about her gardener automaton that broke down? There is a sketch showing that gardener, and I wonder too if the “tableau de bord” represents the maze you can’t enter (though the layout doesn’t seem to match).
I have a layout problem (;-) with the following two shots shots, but perhaps I am missing something here (church 1 - church 2).

@Mikekelly (“However, if an adventure game is released today that looks as good as Syberia - it would still be considered a beautiful game.”)

Very true, and I would buy a copy at once.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

mart - 29 August 2014 12:37 PM

@Jabod (“Definitely the superb looking game I remember although I still find Oscar irritating.”)

But - almost - everyone loves Oscar! I understand though that you may dislike him because of his formalism. Hope at least you don’t hate all automatons for in that case the first act will be tough on you.:-)) I have two other examples I disliked in the first part (will post them later on, hope I will not be banned).

I never did dislike Oscar (still don’t) I just found/find him somewhat irritating. Plus he was a contrivance throughout the game to ensure Kate did everything needed by herself.

mart - 29 August 2014 12:37 PM

Here are some shots, as I see some have arrived at Barrockstadt already. Perhaps some of you have missed the first one, so I add it here. Remember the gardener complaining about her gardener automaton that broke down?

I was going to bring up a point about that moment later on but as you’ve mentioned the gardener here:

Kate was pointedly told by the Innkeeper, as well as Oscar, not to call automatons robots. And whilst the gardener first uses automaton she then follows up with robot. I really wouldn’t have thought a local would do that. And this is the first time I’ve ever noticed that. I wonder what else new I’ll find during this CPT.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I think one thing does not invalidate the other, Oscar is a little irritating especially in the beginning, but only a little, then inevitably you end up creating a bond of love with him, understanding his “personality.”  One can see how this relationship is evolving between Kate and Oscar. Which makes him a wonderful character, I think.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top