• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Life is Strange

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-09-27

PM

Physical copy of Limited Edition for PS4 can be Pre-Ordered here

http://www.play-asia.com/life-is-strange-limited-edition/13/709gnj?affiliate_id=1035126

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Gamestop will be carrying it also. I’ve put this game on my games to get list for 2016.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Fanmade alternate ending that made me smile!

(Heavy spoilers obviously!)

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Sefir - 02 November 2015 07:53 AM

Still disappointed that I couldn’t take a photo shot of Mr. Jefferson’s dead body and then give him this photo for the contest in a different timeline.

Intense Degree - 01 December 2015 11:17 AM

Someone read my post! Tongue

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Haha… that’s pretty good. Smile

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I had hoped and half expected for that very thing to happen in the game.. juust maybe not with the awesome credit roll line Tongue

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Intense Degree - 01 December 2015 11:17 AM

(Heavy spoilers obviously!)

Helluva ending,definately a game changer.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

10$ on psn sale, looks like i have to cave in for rest 3 eps now.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I just finished LS. One hell of a story and well crafted piece of interactive fiction. With this and Dreamfall Chapters it’s pretty obious that Telltale has been left behind in the genre and should start stepping it up.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Just went through hell of a slog of 5 episodes recycled stuff.
After so much praises and hype and recommendations , i gave it a try for tempting 10$ season pass.
Game does terrible job of writing characters, super corny and one dimensional caricatures which devs thought good enough to be dragged throughout the season with same hook of missing girl and Fraternity politics.
It would have not been much of a disaster if it werent for characters like Nathan, Kate, Victoria etc who felt so meh and corny from the get go.

Melodramatic padded emotions till great twist in the end of ep3, and then again right after ep4 first hour back to same Nathan, Madsen, Victoria cheese. Not much faculty so you dont have to overthink about whodunit?
Game doesnt throw much suspects, the main threat was Nathan, smh, who look straight up Sims preset model.
It also doesnt help when characters look stoned and dead thanks to bad facial capturing, no eyes contact, warped up lip synching, and dead expressions.
Environmental detail, art and engine was mesmerizing and beautiful, but zero efforts on faces.
Dialogues were so pedantic too, trying to sound clever, Mahatma Max, Stockholm syndrome, to every action there is opposite reaction, and it was all in ep5, where writing should have seen some development. And these are not choice quotes there are worse.

TTG writers are way better, they atleast make good characters, even side characters Vaughn,Vasquez or Sasha are much better written than either Nathan,Frank or Victoria.
And then there is this cutscene rewind simulator to fix your mistakes are actually ways by dev evaded what once achieved by Shadow of Memories better, except here its just gimmick to tell story in more linear way with main ending choice in the final ep, minutes before final cutscene.

Another crap game design decision was to shoehorn stealth. Hell they thought how to fall in budget and recycled all padded events and environments,to go through again in last recycled corridor chase, how cool, then crappy stealth section of same old events , again.
Wait one more time go through william scene and lose novelty of it.

I think its better to avoid such gameplay fillers , and TTG is right if they know their team cant think of any better.

5/10

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I always find it amazing how different opinions on games can be. I hope you won’t mind if I give my views on some of your post Nomad, accepting at all times that just because my views may differ to yours does not make me right or you wrong! Smile

Game does terrible job of writing characters, super corny and one dimensional caricatures which devs thought good enough to be dragged throughout the season with same hook of missing girl and Fraternity politics.
It would have not been much of a disaster if it werent for characters like Nathan, Kate, Victoria etc who felt so meh and corny from the get go.

Although they weren’t on a Gabriel Knight level, my view was that the characters were rather good and fit the setting well. Seeing as we are dealing with teenagers at some kind of art school (can’t say I understand the American school system based on this game!) the brash, showy, superficial front of characters like Victoria was spot on and (don’t know how my playthrough differed from yours) I actually found her to have some depth behind that front in her reactions to Max and to the death of Kate

Neither Nathan, nor Kate or Victoria felt corny to me. I can see that some people would call them stereotypes, but for me they were believable enough in their high school moulds.

The missing girl part I thought was rather good. As it has all happened after Max arrives at the school she isn’t really emotionally invested in the disappearance, other than some curiosity and sympathy at witnessing the end of the “missing” poster campaign, but Rachel Amber becomes her problem through Chloe and the other events. I thought it was nicely done.

Melodramatic padded emotions till great twist in the end of ep3, and then again right after ep4 first hour back to same Nathan, Madsen, Victoria cheese. Not much faculty so you dont have to overthink about whodunit?
Game doesnt throw much suspects, the main threat was Nathan, smh, who look straight up Sims preset model.

Regarding the suspects I really didn’t see this game as a “whodunit”, although obviously a mystery of that type was involved in the story and cleared up well before the “last page”. I didn’t need a Sherlock Holmes type investigative game, this was more of a David Lynch “Blue Velvet” or “Mulholland Drive” type investigation for me.

Personally I wasn’t at all bothered by the graphics, but I do agree the backgrounds were lovely.

Dialogues were so pedantic too, trying to sound clever, Mahatma Max, Stockholm syndrome, to every action there is opposite reaction, and it was all in ep5, where writing should have seen some development. And these are not choice quotes there are worse.

The dialogues didn’t sound pedantic to me, and although I agree that there was some “trying to sound clever” this was fitting enough for 2 teenage girls & friends of at least moderate intelligence I thought and was certainly nowhere near a Dawson’s Creek level of ridiculousness. For me the writing represented the teenage conversation of the characters and was not an attempt to sound clever in itself

TTG writers are way better, they atleast make good characters, even side characters

From the “recent” TTG I have played I can’t agree with this. They were given good characters for TWAU which was written well enough. In GOT they were bland and one dimensional enough. To be fair I haven’t played any TWD or Borderlands. Maybe Minecraft is where they shine! Wink

And then there is this cutscene rewind simulator to fix your mistakes are actually ways by dev evaded what once achieved by Shadow of Memories better, except here its just gimmick to tell story in more linear way with main ending choice in the final ep, minutes before final cutscene.

Perhaps this is semantics, but for me the time rewind was less of a gimmick and more of a basis for the gameplay of the game. I liked it, despite some flaws logical and otherwise and in terms of “choice” in games I felt that it knocked anything TTG have ever done into a cocked hat, men against boys.

Another crap game design decision was to shoehorn stealth. Hell they thought how to fall in budget and recycled all padded events and environments,to go through again in last recycled corridor chase, how cool, then crappy stealth section of same old events , again.
Wait one more time go through william scene and lose novelty of it.

100% with you on this. Why on earth a stealth sequence, and if so why so badly done? I presume this was meant to be a clever sequence full of meaning and realisation but it fell completely flat for me.

Now someone else’s turn to deconstruct what I have said! Wink

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

IntenseDegree,

It wasnt Mullholland drive or Blue velvet but Twinpeaks, name of which appeared in the game atleast twice, you overlooked to deconstruct that. Try playing twowhales scene of ep2 again. Also Oregon setting, not just missing Laura palmer with R on her body, well that R is for Rachel i guess. Smile

Yes, them high school stereotypes are as common in Hollywood plots since 80s , as some random mouse in rundown sewers.

Oh you make me laugh and smile, rawk it out girl,you cant dance hippie, You are so cool , Madmax, Max ninja, Max fking caufield etc.
I think i would take such dialogues more seriously in Minecraft or self aware B movie, neither of which this game was trying to be.

For existing properties TTG does better, you have less to play with.
Still, Kenny, Vaughn, Carver, Vasquez, Ramsey, Snow etc over side cast of this game.
Anyone can see the quality difference.

Edit:

That rewind mechanic is recycled gimmick from their previous game.
Good they found a way around to reuse it, and success of TTG interactive storytelling pushed SEnix to publish it.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

I`m really enjoying this game (playing episode 3 right now) and I hope we`ll see more games like this from DONTNOD Entertainment in future. Had to pre-order that juicy limited box version too Smile

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

nomadsoul - 11 December 2015 01:41 PM

Still, Kenny, Vaughn, Carver, Vasquez, Ramsey, Snow etc over side cast of this game.

I have to disagree here. Personally I found GOT to be be bland and the characters were poorly written. The characters taken from the TV-series felt more like hastily written fan service who did pretty much what you’d expect them to do and nothing more. The new characters were also pretty one dimensional and as a whole the game had only one good and well written character, the sister (whose name evades me) of the Forrester clan.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

tomimt - 11 December 2015 06:51 PM
nomadsoul - 11 December 2015 01:41 PM

I have to disagree here. Personally I found GOT to be be bland and the characters were poorly written. The characters taken from the TV-series felt more like hastily written fan service who did pretty much what you’d expect them to do and nothing more. The new characters were also pretty one dimensional and as a whole the game had only one good and well written character, the sister (whose name evades me) of the Forrester clan.

I will take Ramsey or Vasquez over Nathan dialogues and character development anytime.

Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top