• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Life is Strange

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Plant still alive for me.

This game is really great. Definitely leans toward the casual Telltale style but does a much better job of keeping you engaged and feeling like a part of the world rather than just clicking through a story. Some really tough choices.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Yeah, there’s also replay value too as there’s little things you can easily miss in both puzzles and infomation.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

All done. A great episode and one that hit a little close to home towards the end.

The most difficult choice for me was whether to side with David or Chloe. I had already cost David his job but felt ruining his marriage was excessive even though he was wrong on all fronts and clearly needed help. I was reluctant with this decision after learning he might have some special partnership with the annoying Nathan Prescott but blaming David for Kate’s escalating depression was unfair. I only did so for functional reasons but it didn’t do much good as I still had to hide from security during the pool sequence.

Alternatively, the easiet choice this episode was to kiss Chloe. My Max is a baller and I’m going to make sure she hooks up with Warren too. A case of the player taking care of the NPCs, Tongue.

The final sequence used time travel in a promising way to undo past regrets/tragedies. I lost my father in a road accident and I’ve certainly run through “should have done this” scenarios in my head multiple times. Playing through this scenario in the game feels right but oddly unsatisfying. 

There was an emphasis on unethical behaviour throughout this episode with snooping into classmates’ lockers and breaking into people’s personal spaces. Rewriting Chloe’s history feels just as underhanded even without the wheelchair. I imagine the devs are going to make players choose whether to return to the original timeline or remain in this fantasy world and I think I will choose the original timeline warts and all. Why save blue-haired Chloe at the start of the series just to kill her with this alternate timeline?

My plant survived (only watered it once).

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

It’s the little stuff that I love about this game.

Talking to the trucker who gets screwed by the train tracks being wrecked in ep 2. Seeing the result of the petition from ep 1.  Or stuff you can easily miss, like at the swimming pool, where after choosing whether to go into the boys or girls locker room, you follow Chloe and then can rewind back to the point where Chloe’s at the entrance and Max, still in the locker room, comes and opens the door for her (ala what she did in the Principal’s office) and Chloe comes back with “That again? Trick’s getting old, Max!” Things like that I just love. 

It’s a flawed game, no doubt about it- the dialogue in ep 3 in particular was a bit off after the improved ep 2, particularly in the first section or two; and those freaking eggs, don’t get me started on those damn EGGS- but it still rivals anything Telltale have come up with in the past 3-4 years in what I enjoyed playing the most (with the possible exception of TftB). It’s a vibrant world that’s compelling and fun to explore; with imperfect, frustrating, engaging characters to spend time with.

As a person who almost entirely plays adventure games only, I’m not the biggest DLC fan around…but this is a game I would be MORE than happy to have some extra DLC for after the final episode. No mystery or anything would be necessary- well, not for me anyway- but just for mucking about in with the characters, as maybe an epilogue or something. The final episode I’m guessing would be pretty busy with wrapping things up so most likely wouldn’t have those “slower” moments that I’ve loved in the first few episodes. And if there were to be another season, it would be with different characters I would have thought, so DLC for a goodbye to these characters would be swell. Just a thought
/wish though.

On a side note, next up for Dontnod is a vampire RPG- which I’m sure will appeal to some here. 

Not me though. I am outraged. How dare they be diverse in their output? Who do they think they are? Wink Tongue

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Oh, that ending. Earlier in the episode there were parts I liked and parts I got bored in (par for the course for me in this game so far) but the new twist to Max’s powers at the end were such a welcome surprise, with such a shocking consequence. Between that and the Max & Chloe scenes in the pool and waking up in Chloe’s room this is the strongest episode for me so far.

I don’t really get why Max is so different in the new timeline—regardless of Chloe’s dad living, it seems like Max still would have moved to Seattle and, separated from Chloe for five years, become the same person she was in the first timeline. Maybe it’ll be explained more in ep4 or maybe it was just for dramatic effect, but that puzzled me a bit.

I was thinking about that last reveal afterward… we saw the photo of Chloe with a car key on her eighteenth birthday, so she must have had a wreck?

Very interested to see what happens at the Vortex Club party—if Max now has to use what she knows about what happened to Kate & Rachel in the other timeline to stop Nathan etc. from doing something bad—and also curious if we’ll get to meet Rachel. Maybe with Chloe on a different path, Rachel is too?

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Seems like the ideal time to get evidence on Nathan’s activities at the party Smile

I wonder if Max wearing Rachel Ambers clothes was foreshadowing for something?

Max left Arcadia bay, Rachel arrived. Rachel disappeared, Max arrived. They both are the same size and Max has powers. I wonder if by accident Max is screwing everything up with her powers?

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I just played a second time. Nice detail at the end that I didn’t notice the first time: in the exterior shot of Chloe’s house there’s a wheelchair ramp.

Does anyone know where the Vortex party list is? I noticed on the list of minor choices that you can do something with it so I tried to find it on my second playthrough, but still couldn’t.

I’ve been doing the second playthrough with the opposite choices as the first, but I had a *really* hard time not rewinding when the dog ran into traffic. Frown

I feel like the storyline of this episode flows better if Kate died in episode 2. On my first playthrough (where Kate lived) I had a hard time understanding Max’s motivations at first and some of what she said out loud seemed to contradict her interior monologue. On my second playthrough (where Kate died) those parts worked a lot better.

With a branching storyline there’s always that question of which is the “good” path or the “bad” path, and I do like that the game gives you so much choice and has meaningful divergences based on what you chose. But I also wonder if it will weaken the story in the end… a good story should seem inevitable when you look back at it, and it’s hard to achieve that “of course it HAD to happen this way” feeling when there are multiple ways for the story to happen. Just a thought.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’m not sure why I didn’t play episode 2 when it was released, but I’m now caught up with episodes 2 and 3. I didn’t care much for some of ep 2, as a lot of the gameplay in the middle section felt like artificial padding. Episode 3 felt a lot better in that respect.

I really like the series and all the various characters, and how the game slowly reveals more about them through layer upon layer of little details. It can feel slow at times (it definitely did at first), but I think it’s worth it.

I’m always surprised to see the stats at the end and realise that the world clearly loves Chloe a lot more than I do. I liked her during the first section of ep 3 (the break-in and the swimming pool) because she can be fun and push Max out of her comfort zone—but her constant whining about how everyone else in the world is responsible for her being a screw up makes me wish that train had run her over.

(And like fov above, I’m also surprised to look at the stats and discover stuff I had no idea could be done…)

I’m not sure how I feel about the end of ep 3. It’d be a huge disappointment if the game just erased all the choices I’ve made. But I’m willing to trust that the designers are too clever to do that. We’ll see.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

fov - 07 June 2015 12:24 AM

Does anyone know where the Vortex party list is? I noticed on the list of minor choices that you can do something with it so I tried to find it on my second playthrough, but still couldn’t.

In a corner near the swimming pool

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Episode 4 is coming on the 28th.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Square-Enix have announced its sold over a million copies too Smile

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Of course it’s same day as King’s Quest… (and the Cat Lady last stretch community playthrough)
Great news on the sales. I guess more games from DontNod will happen

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Tad - 23 July 2015 10:19 AM

Square-Enix have announced its sold over a million copies too Smile

Hooray for that Smile I’m so glad that Life is Strange did as well as it did. I hope King’s Quest will follow suit (though I’m really iffy about how many people are willing to pay 40 dollars for it).

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Yeah, same. KQ looks interesting, but the amount they’re asking seems too much. Glad we’re seeing chances like Life is Strange paying off though. It doesn’t need to be a sequel as such, but I do hope we see more of these types of games from studios. Especially as Telltale seem to be a bit…well, jittery in their upcoming line up.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Episode 4 up on Steam

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top