• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzLadyLinda

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

King’s Quest announced (Re-imagined by The Odd Gentlemen) 

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I genuinely have no idea what this could end up like and that really excites me! Making Sierra an indie label, of sorts, is probably the best realistic outcome of this revival. I can imagine a lot of old IPs being beautifully revived by indie developers.

Also, there’s no reason this can’t be direct-controlled like the old King’s Quests.. Wink

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 12 August 2014 10:50 PM

The game is just weeding out inferior adventurers.

If by weeding out you mean making potential customers loose interest in the genre for years, then I guess that was job well done from the old way, way too abstract and unfair puzzles.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

tomimt - 13 August 2014 04:42 AM
Zifnab - 12 August 2014 10:50 PM

The game is just weeding out inferior adventurers.

If by weeding out you mean making potential customers loose interest in the genre for years, then I guess that was job well done from the old way, way too abstract and unfair puzzles.

This happened to me and I was so furious that I ended the game and didn’t come back to it for a long, long time. I mean what if you had to eat the pie because something was inside it? At the end of the day, in adventure games most of the time you try EVERYTHING and you’re a liar if you say otherwise. “weeding out inferior adventurers” what a crock of ****! An adventure game can still be great and have tough puzzles that make you think, without being a game of snakes and ladders.

As for these developers working on the new Kings Quest… this makes me nervous. Have you seen the art style of their previous games? Hmmm. Also Wayward Manor was terribly received Meh Kings Quest doesn’t need to be “fully re-imagined”.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

aaroncarney - 13 August 2014 06:00 AM

This happened to me and I was so furious that I ended the game and didn’t come back to it for a long, long time. I mean what if you had to eat the pie because something was inside it? At the end of the day, in adventure games most of the time you try EVERYTHING and you’re a liar if you say otherwise.

The game is aware you can save/restore. If you want to eat it to find something inside, do it and then restore! But don’t expect not to pay for your actions 5 hours later if you choose not to.

You say KQ doesn’t need to be re-imagined and then you don’t want to pay for the consequences of your actions. If that is the attitude of modern gamers, then it clearly does need to be re-imagined.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Ah, but you don’t know that you shouldn’t have eaten it. I don’t recall the game telling you other than it was a good pie. And when you get to the yeti you still don’t know you shouldn’t have eatin it.

So all in all, despite you have save and restore it still doesn’t remove the tedious back tracking and the fact that if you had purchased the pie early on, you need to restore from where you actually have the pie and play through all the other puzzles in between the pie and the yeti. Lesser things have turned people off a game.

You might find it fun Zifnab, but not everyone is you.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Why would you need to eat a pie? I’ll admit there are many AGs that don’t make sense, but KQ wasn’t really one of them. I think the reason a lot of us had trouble with the game is the we were children, and the game assumed a certain level of intelligence. If you are the sort of person to say “how was I supposed to know I would need water wandering in the desert?”, it probably isn’t the game for you. Try Full Throttle or something.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Needing water to desert and eating a pie you need to use as a weapon at some point are two very different kinds of situations. The other is logical where as the other not so much.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Well sorry if I can’t really see the logic to eating a pie, finding nothing inside and then saying to yourself “okay I won’t restore instead I’ll just play 5 hours more because I’m sure I won’t need the pie later despite this being an adventure game where every item has a peculiar and often ridiculous use, and despite Sierra being famous for dead ends”.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I guess, from what I’ve read, is that Sierra DID have an alternate solution to the Yeti/Pie thing - you had to distract him with an insult battle.  Evidently they cut it, and someone at LA found it…. the rest is dairy farming history.

Bt

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Zifnab - 13 August 2014 07:06 AM

Why would you need to eat a pie?

Earlier on in the game, you actually DID need to eat something to stave off the hunger (or you’d die), and you also needed to feed a starving eagle at one point. In both cases (but especially the first), the custard pie was a perfectly logical option that worked. Picking the pie, however, forced you to replay the entire mountains section once you reached the Yeti. Without you knowing this if you didn’t have a walkthrough, of course… Wink

It was one of Sierra’s “this will sell hint books” puzzles. While perfectly normal (it’s what we were used to) back then, it’s unforgivable now.

I fully agree with what Emily said here:

fov - 12 August 2014 09:49 PM

I think it was known for its unforgiving dead ends, random deaths, and unfair “read the designer’s mind” puzzles (throw pie at yeti, anyone?) more than for cleverly hard puzzles. And I say that as one of the biggest King’s Quest fans around. We accepted this gameplay in the 80s/90s because it’s what we knew, but I think purposefully making a game like that today would be a big mistake.

To me King’s Quest means a sort of sappy, family-oriented story strongly rooted in fairy tales and other known literature, that takes King Graham or one of his relations on a quest through new lands, usually to save someone who’s in trouble. I could care less about being stumped by hard puzzles (in fact, I hope I’m not).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

the wise wizard is also a great warrior, wonder if you are also a good thief!

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

I really don’t like your patronising tone Zifnab. It was a long time ago when I played it so I don’t actually know what I did with the pie but i’m glad there are many other ways to lose it. Stop trying to justify a STUPID puzzle by insinuating everyone who made this mistake are inferior adventurers.

As for the “re-imaging”, I was referring to the general feel and gameplay of the Kings Quest series. Not a few of the rage inducing puzzles.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2009-12-11

PM

This article states that the game is going to deal with an old King Graham telling his granddaughter Gwendolyn tales of his adventures, so it actually sounds like it might be a both a continuation of the King’s Quest story and a reboot of sorts.

This actually sounds like it could be fun, as we will get to see what the Graham family has been up to after King’s Quest 8, but we still will get to play a game again with a younger Graham.  It could potentially be the best of both worlds.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

aaroncarney - 13 August 2014 05:28 PM

I really don’t like your patronising tone Zifnab.

Welcome to AdventureGamers, please enjoy your stay.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Zifnab - 13 August 2014 06:40 PM
aaroncarney - 13 August 2014 05:28 PM

I really don’t like your patronising tone Zifnab.

Welcome to AdventureGamers, please enjoy your stay.

ouch, gods will be watching

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top