• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Sunday 27 July 2014

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Rent A Hero (1999) must be quite obscure by now. The reviews were positive at the time and at first I was too. Marvelous intro with the hero, who runs a Princess Rescuing Service, confronting a dragon. Gorgeous graphics, excellent cut scenes, nice music. The voice acting is not bad at all. But here come the buts.

The game tells its silly story (okay, that may be just me) in an extremely linear way. I enjoy exploring and don’t mind revisiting familiar places, but lots and lots of backtracking to see if anybody has anything new to tell you or if a new object has mysteriously appeared out of nowhere is not my idea of fun. Worse, the game refuses to move forward unless you have clicked on everything. I HATE that! Especially when you have no idea what you should be doing or where you should go.

Worse, the game often doesn’t give you any clue at all that something has changed. No visual clue, no sound, nothing. The only way you can find out is by revisiting every location and clicking on everything you’ve already clicked on before. Somebody has something you need, and runs off into the woods when you try to persuade her to give it to you. Now you’ve got to find her, but how? You revisit the many locations in the woods for the umpteenth time and she isn’t there. Help me please walkthrough? Well, dumbo she’s hiding from you, that’s why you don’t see or hear her. Go click on every tree, bush, rock in sight.

Angry

I’ll end on a positive note. There was a funny sex scene that literally lasted one split second.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 27 July 2014 06:05 AM

lots and lots of backtracking to see if anybody has anything new to tell you or if a new object has mysteriously appeared out of nowhere…

the game refuses to move forward unless you have clicked on everything.

There was a funny sex scene that literally lasted one split second.

Just like in real life, eh?

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 27 July 2014 06:32 AM

lots and lots of backtracking to see if anybody has anything new to tell you or if a new object has mysteriously appeared out of nowhere…

the game refuses to move forward unless you have clicked on everything.

Picture yourself in prison with a cellmate. Exhaust all dialogue options. Click on everything. No way out! Despair. But meanwhile, far away in some developer’s garage, the programmer has noticed that you have clicked on everything in the cell. You’ve made him very happy. With a big smile he silently unlocks your escape route from the cell and then he sits back and watches you go wild until you happen to clickety-click on the brick or mannacle or bed or mouse hole that did nothing before and now is your way out.

I’m not making this up. Rent A Hero Pan

Just like in real life, eh?

Not THAT split-second. Tongue Unfortunately.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

No visual clue, no sound, nothing.

I TOLD YOU!!

Oh, wait, you’re talking about Rent A Hero, and not Myst-clones. Cry  I like the “medieval-ish” visual art of this game very, very much!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I own this game but have never played it. Does anybody here know if it needs a lot of tweaking before it will run on a computer with Win 7?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top