• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 21 July 2014

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

In The Cameron Files 1: Secret of Loch Ness (2001) set in the 1930’s, Chicago based P.I. Alan Parker Cameron of Scottish descent travels to Devil’s Ridge Manor, situated on the shores of Loch Ness, to claim a jewel bequeathed to him by his father & also to investigate strange occurrences after receiving a telegram from an old family friend.

The sound of bagpipes, the interesting array of characters with their (overly) mild accents, the interior decor of the ‘castle’ & the presence of the mythical Loch Ness monster, plus a banshee, all contribute to the flavour of the setting although I found the landscape lacking the beautiful vibrant colours of the Scottish countryside.

The environments for the most part are pleasingly detailed but let down by blocky graphics I thought but other than that I really enjoyed the story & puzzles of the game.

EDIT: I suddenly remembered that there is a very frustrating timed underwater maze in the game - aagh!

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

It took me almost a year to finish this one and (no! ) I’m not (quite) mentally retarded.
It had to do with how much Loch Ness was interesting & captivating for me.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

zobraks - 21 July 2014 08:05 AM

It took me almost a year to finish this one and (no! ) I’m not (quite) mentally retarded.
It had to do with how much Loch Ness was interesting & captivating for me.

Wink I was wondering zobraks how long it took you to finish a game that you found less interesting & captivating? - are you currently in progress of any games or played any others that you have started & over-ran their birthday?  Wink

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

It looks like this game is currently on sale for $2.99 on Steam. I played a short ways into the game years ago, and (if memory serves) I found that the panning made me dizzy. I wonder if playing the game on a recent computer would change the panning speed.

(BTW, I like the matching kilt, hat and socks in the screenshot.)

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Becky - 21 July 2014 02:32 PM

It looks like this game is currently on sale for $2.99 on Steam. I played a short ways into the game years ago, and (if memory serves) I found that the panning made me dizzy. I wonder if playing the game on a recent computer would change the panning speed.

I suffer really badly from motion sickness Becky but for some reason I don’t remember associating it with this game although I know that it does have full 3D panning which is normally a problem for me. Thinking back to another game which I found too whizzy (I remember not what!) I’m sure I was able to adjust the speed of the mouse in my PC Control Panel?

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

chrissie - 21 July 2014 01:52 PM

[...]are you currently in progress of any games or played any others that you have started & over-ran their birthday?  Wink

Chrissie, I had started Next Life in May of 2013, came close to the end, and lost interest due to a subnormal twist of plot. I’ll probably finish it (or, more likely, watch the YouTube playthrough), to see how it all ends.

There are many adventure games I have started and haven’t finished: The Legend of Kyrandia 2, Riddle of the Sphinx, Beneath a Steel Sky, Plan 9 from Outer Space, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Loom, Who’s Fat Lou?, The Last Express, Tony Tough 1, The Space Bar, Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon, Sam & Max Season 2, Episode 1: Ice Station Santa…
Most of these games are not bad (on the contrary), it just hadn’t been the right time for me to play them.

Becky - 21 July 2014 02:32 PM

I found that the panning made me dizzy.

No such trouble for me with Loch Ness on my not quite state of the art machine (2007 laptop).

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

zobraks - 21 July 2014 03:13 PM
chrissie - 21 July 2014 01:52 PM

[...]are you currently in progress of any games or played any others that you have started & over-ran their birthday?  Wink

Chrissie, I had started Next Life in May of 2013, came close to the end, and lost interest due to a subnormal twist of plot. I’ll probably finish it (or, more likely, watch the YouTube playthrough), to see how it all ends.

There are many adventure games I have started and haven’t finished: The Legend of Kyrandia 2, Riddle of the Sphinx, Beneath a Steel Sky, Plan 9 from Outer Space, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Loom, Who’s Fat Lou?, The Last Express, Tony Tough 1, The Space Bar, Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon, Sam & Max Season 2, Episode 1: Ice Station Santa…
Most of these games are not bad (on the contrary), it just hadn’t been the right time for me to play them.

Out of the games you mentioned I only played & actually completed Next Life (yes that was a very strange game with too many difficult ‘non-adventure’ puzzles!), Journey to the Center of the Earth, Tony Tough 1, Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon & The Last Express.
I have my reservations about Next Life but I did like them all in one capacity or another but I think they are all games that you have to be in the mood to play - it should be the same for any game really except for me there are some types of games that I’m always in the mood for!  I’m now curious to know some of the games that fire you up zobraks? 

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Give me a good plot, wacky humo(u)r and good (preferably cartoony) graphics and I’m fine (happy as a pig in shit mud).
I like good mysteries/supernatural stories too.
P.S. Just don’t ask me to save the world, I HATE that kind of games!

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

zobraks - 21 July 2014 04:45 PM

No, you don’t.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

The biggest mystery is what’s underneath his kilt.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Do we get to see Nessie, chrissie?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Cute cartoon, Diego! Grin

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

diego - 21 July 2014 05:04 PM
zobraks - 21 July 2014 04:45 PM

No, you don’t.

I’ve played GM four years ago, matey, and I SELDOM take part in community playthroughs.

Besides, Gray Matter is a classical example of a great story torn to shreds by a lousy & downright amateurish execution. I’d put everybody who worked on a computer to make that game possible against a wall (in front of a big firing squad, and I’d LOVE to take part in THAT).
That game thing dragged on my 2007 laptop like a cat run over by a truck.
There, you ruined my day by reminding me of GM.

I won’t tell anything more about my AG preferences in this thread, I promise.

Zifnab - 21 July 2014 05:38 PM

I always imagined they had white panties with huge red dots under those (god damn) skirts.
It must be very pleasant to wear those Scottish skirts in a summer heat, though. To feel the breeze on the ba—
Oh, I got carried away. Sorry.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

diego - 21 July 2014 05:56 PM

Do we get to see Nessie, chrissie?

Yes diego! Love the pic!  Smile

zobraks - 22 July 2014 03:33 AM

Besides, Gray Matter is a classical example of a great story torn to shreds by a lousy & downright amateurish execution. I’d put everybody who worked on a computer to make that game possible against a wall (in front of a big firing squad, and I’d LOVE to take part in THAT).
That game thing dragged on my 2007 laptop like a cat run over by a truck.
There, you ruined my day by reminding me of GM.

I don’t know what system you played it on zobraks - the game was supposed to have been compatible with Win XP but it dragged on my desktop too despite me having a very good graphics card - it was one of a few games that prompted me to go ahead & buy a much better system & with Win 7 - the game plays like a dream on that (almost!).  Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

According to my father who worked away in Scotland for a few years absolutely nothing! (well, except for what you might expect to be there!)  Laughing

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

chrissie - 22 July 2014 08:06 PM

According to my father who worked away in Scotland for a few years absolutely nothing! (well, except for what you might expect to be there!)  Laughing

You can take it from chrissie’s father, OR watch Breaveheart. Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top