• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The “Crappies” Awards

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

wilco - 17 July 2014 04:44 PM

Can’t really remember any really standout bad adventure games that I pleyed so I was curious and went to see the worst reviewed here:

1/2 star:
- Ankh: Curse of the Scarab King (DS)
- Isabelle

1 star:
- Zero Critical
- Blue Ice
- Ring 2: Twilight of the Gods
- Traitors Gate 2: Cypher
- Forever Worlds
- Cold Case Files
- Lunar Deep
- Jake Hunter : Detective Chronicles
- Myst DS
- Crime Scene
- Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders
- Dead Mountaneeir’s Hotel
- Dark Secrets
- Louisiana Adventure
- Guise of the Wolf

I can’t really comment, I think I played part of Blue Ice but I didn’t any of the others Frown

Some of those are ports of otherwise good games (Ankh for example which I actually really liked). While there were a few standout original games on the DS, ports of games originally from PC usually ended up being mediocre.

Regarding money spent on a game. It’s strange, I only pay $40+ for a game if I back it on kickstarter. If I buy a game, I usually wait for a sale before picking it up.
Spending this much on Kickstarter does lead sometimes to disappointments (in the case of Moebius for example) and I’m much more likely to stick to the end of a game I backed and paid $40+ for than for a game I picked up through a sale.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2014-07-10

PM

chrissie - 17 July 2014 07:25 PM

$40 for an Adventure Game is quite steep!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Quakeulf - 18 July 2014 10:11 AM

Speaking of crappies Smile

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Is that the secret ending where LeChuck turns them both into giraffes?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I checked my collection and when I first got into adventure games cheap ones were released on a disk only for 10 bucks - I bought many of these and loved them.

I also bought deluxe ones like infocom and they were well worth the extra money. Older games used cheap has always been an option.

I have on order dangaronpa 2 the deluxe edition and for me is worth the extra cash.

Today however we do see some cute indies released for very little that are amazingly good and I just bought broken sword 5 for 16 dollars and that is an amazing deal

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Legend of Kyrandia was indeed very horrible but the game that got on my nerves the most by far was Paradise. Ann was the most irritating character I’d ever seen in an AG, it was bug ridden and just plain awful.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Antrax - 19 July 2014 01:45 AM

All they need is the spots.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

crabapple - 19 July 2014 11:03 AM
Antrax - 19 July 2014 01:45 AM

All they need is the spots.

That’s in the DLC pack.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

Advie - 16 July 2014 10:55 AM

House of Tales and Martin Ganteföhr went so wrong with this one

Advie, if you do not know the troubled development process behind the game - and seems you don’t - I recommend not bashing names like House of Tales and Martin Ganteföhr (look more to dtp).
I do agree though that 15 Days was really bad.

Some even worse cr..py adventures imo have been:
Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within
Diamnon Jones series
Belief & Betrayal
Sinbad: In search of Magic Ginger

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

lewuz - 19 July 2014 02:17 PM
Advie - 16 July 2014 10:55 AM

House of Tales and Martin Ganteföhr went so wrong with this one

Advie, if you do not know the troubled development process behind the game - and seems you don’t - I recommend not bashing names like House of Tales and Martin Ganteföhr (look more to dtp).

Wait, why do players need to know the “troubled development” behind every game in order to say what they think of the game? Also, Advie admired Martin and House of Tales in many posts and Moment of Silence is one of his favorite, so that’s probably why he’s disappointed with this one.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It is not fair to expect people to like a game more based on its troubled history. If that would be the case Duke 4 would be the best game ever.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 19 July 2014 02:21 PM

Wait, why do players need to know the “troubled development” behind every game in order to say what they think of the game?

^ This. Professional reviewers need to do their due diligence, but your average fan does not need to know about the development of a game to say what they thought of it.

And like diego says, Advie (and several other people on the forums) are fans of Martin. Heck, Martin himself visits and posts here on occasion.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2013-09-05

PM

lewuz - 19 July 2014 02:17 PM

Some even worse cr..py adventures imo have been:
Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within

I quite enjoyed JK2, in spite of its flaws and would hardly call it “crappy”. Well, one man’s crappy is another’s treasure.  Confused

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

the game that got on my nerves the most by far was Paradise. Ann was the most irritating character I’d ever seen in an AG, it was bug ridden and just plain awful.

Shockingly, they redid this game on the DS called “The Last King of Africa” and I really enjoyed that one. I didn’t find any bugs in that version and it did feature some streamlining of the gameplay that improved the game.

Heart Eyes

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

Sorry for the late reply. I’m surprised to see I got so much flak. Grin I did chose my words carefully but somehow everyone read out something completely different.

diego - 19 July 2014 02:21 PM

Wait, why do players need to know the “troubled development” behind every game in order to say what they think of the game? Also, Advie admired Martin and House of Tales in many posts and Moment of Silence is one of his favorite, so that’s probably why he’s disappointed with this one.

TimovieMan - 19 July 2014 03:37 PM

average fan does not need to know about the development of a game to say what they thought of it.
And like diego says, Advie (and several other people on the forums) are fans of Martin. Heck, Martin himself visits and posts here on occasion.

Ummm, where that come from? I didn’t say gamers need know the process behind games to say what they think of the game. I actually agree that gamer do not need to know background of the game to like it or not.

I just wanted to point out that imo its not fair to blame someone on something when they weren’t in control. I’m totally okay with a claim that 15 Days is bad - and I did say that. But if someone brings out names to blame something/someone, I expect it to have solid ground.

By naming mentioned named Advie implied he knows more than average player (I tend to think that average gamer don’t know names of studios, not to mention creative minds in them). I saw it to be very unfair and pointed that out.

Also, I do share Advie’s admiration towards Moment of Silence. I’ve voiced same feelings. And I’ve seen Martin in there forums as well.

tomimt - 19 July 2014 03:27 PM

It is not fair to expect people to like a game more based on its troubled history. If that would be the case Duke 4 would be the best game ever.

I agree. But my post was about blaming names, not a game. Speaking of Duke 4ever - that was atrocious!

So, one last time - I did and do agree that 15 Days is quite bad. But not because HoT or Martin, as they were driven into a corner.

Going further on this is OT I think and if I was able to bring out my point this time around, I see no further need to continue one that note. Smile

notanumber - 19 July 2014 05:58 PM

I quite enjoyed JK2, in spite of its flaws and would hardly call it “crappy”. Well, one man’s crappy is another’s treasure.  Confused

True, the last sentence I mean. Smile I can say the same about Moebius. While it was far from perfect, I had some fun with it and in no way I can call it as my worst adventure experience. At the same time I had no expectations from Moebius.
Jack Keane 1, in the other had, was one of the reasons I came back to adventures - I liked it so much back in the day. So I had some hopes for the sequel, and all it did was hurt my eyes and ears.  Cry

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top