• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LadyLinda

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Simon the Sorcerer!

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2014-07-15

PM

Hello fellow adventurers!

We, StoryBeasts, have great news to all the adventure games fans old and new. We’re developing the next entry on the Simon the Sorcerer franchise, with a brand new plot, characters and locations.

The game is returning to its 2D root, british humor and traditional gameplay with some new *cough* magic *cough* mechanics.

We’re aware that the last StS games weren’t what fans were hoping for but would like to reasure you this is a new team, with fresh ideas and willing to work together with AdventureSoft and with you to create the game we all want.

We would like to invite everyone to read our blog (http://www.storybeasts.com/) where new info about the game can be found and you can get to know more about us.

And we want to listen to your suggestions and expectations for the game in our forums (http://www.storybeasts.com/forum). Come share with us your thoughts!

You can follow us @storybeasts and give us a like in https://www.facebook.com/wearestorybeasts if you’re feeling nice. We’d appreciate it.

Join our forums http://www.storybeasts.com/forum
Follow us @storybeasts

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I think SilverStyleEntertainment did a good job with Simon 4,5 ,especially the fourth Chaos Happens ,the only problem is they seemed to give up on the old Simon humor, characteristics, and gave someone different ,he seemed more like Guybrush than Simon to me, thats why I think they even did a better job with their original Everlight, since its hard for a new dev to take on what AdventureSoft had started long ago, but if you say that here are chances you guys work with the latter, then I guess this might be very encouraging .

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

Thank you Thank you Thank you!  Simon 1 is probably my favorite game of all time.  I loved the first two games, and if Simon 3D had been point and click - and had a skip function for some of the arcade games, it would have been as good as the first two.  I did play Simon 4 and 5 and while I enjoyed them, there was something lacking.  thank goodness you are doing it in 2D again.  I can’t wait for this game and thanks for letting me/us know!  I can’t wait.  Is there a tentative release date?

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

pics or it didn’t happen

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I am also a big fan of the Simon series, and have played and enjoyed all of them, even the 3D one.

So as long as the game will be funny, have some challenging puzzles and most important, Simon remains the obnoxious sexist rude slacker that we all know and love, then you have a carte blanche from me to take this in any direction that you want!

I’m just happy that I will get to play another Simon game.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Iznogood - 15 July 2014 10:46 AM

Simon remains the obnoxious sexist rude slacker that we all know and love

Those days are over, we all hate obnoxious sexist rude slackers today, remember?

I’d love to see the game if Woodroffes are involved. Otherwise, why not start new series about some wizard-wanna-be? Simon the Sorcerer was all about parodies, satire and cynical jokes. There’s basically no universe to explore, little to no story to continue, yet the kind of humour has its own unique charm. German adventures felt like completely different games with several StS cameos. I’m afraid that’s how this one might end. Hope I’m wrong, but I’d really like to see Simon Woodroffe in action once again.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m not holding my breath with this one. 4 and 5 are among the worst games I’ve had a pleasure to experience, so you have some massive course correction on your hands as far I am concerned.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2014-07-15

PM

Hey all. Dave here, the writer of the new Simon game. The powers that be have whipped me into signing up here to assure you that, after some hard consideration, we’ve decided to stick with the dry British humour of the earlier games instead of the German ...wit(?) of 4 and 5. They may be world champions in football, but who ever got a laugh out of twenty-two grown men running about a field for two hours…

As Doom says, the original games were all about parody and satire and with franchises like Game of Thrones, Harry Potter and more having come on the scene since the 90s, we have a lot of fun material to poke fun at.

But you don’t have to trust me (you probably shouldn’t, I’m meant to be minding a child right now, not internetting with all of you) - we can announce that the Woodroffes are overseeing everything to make sure it’s as close to the spirit of the earlier games as we can get without smearing some Vaseline on the screen and re-releasing it with a fancy title (hell, we’ve even gone so far as to get Chris Barrie back on board to voice Simon). No cameos here baby, it’s all Simon, all of the time (whatever that means - it just felt good to write)

Also, diego, jump over to our site at storybeasts.com to check out some art. Same goes to all of you actually, come see what we’re at -  we even have a forum so I can gleefully ignore any questions you may ask Wink

Dave,
Sticking words in fictional characters mouths since 1345 (I woke up late).

For more news on the new Simon the Sorcerer game, magic yourself over to http://www.storybeasts.com (get it? Magic, Simon - I’M HILARIOUS!)

Total Posts: 1653

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

What a wonderful news!!Simon 1 was responsible for my obssesion with AG.If you wake me up in the middle of the night I can whistle you that fantastic song from Simon 1.Chaos
happens was just O.K. but game in whole may looks like a bit to artificially for my
liking, a game without a soul.But when they decided to include damn aliens in the simon game, at that moment they lost me.I’m more than happy that game will be made in 2D but
attitude from original simon is must imo.There was also huge complains about rufus from deponia about his cocky,arrogant,selfish attitude but that is what makes game funny.
I wish you luck StoryBeasts!

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2013-05-13

PM

tomimt - 15 July 2014 11:09 AM

I’m not holding my breath with this one. 4 and 5 are among the worst games I’ve had a pleasure to experience, so you have some massive course correction on your hands as far I am concerned.

Hey Tomimt.
And I’m the designer of the new Simon and also the most handsome of the bunch. I understand how you feel but I think that we’re already doing some things different as Dave is pointing out.
It would be of more value to the development of the game if you give us the benefit of the doubt and gave us your input as we go through this process (that we’re planning to do as transparent as possible) before losing all hope Smile Let’s make the Simon game we want to play.

Simon (the Sorcerer) doesn’t appreciate that you’re not following the news of his upcoming adventure!
http://www.storybeasts.com is the place to go for updates and such.

Total Posts: 103

Joined 2009-07-04

PM

StoryBeast Dave - 15 July 2014 11:42 AM

(hell, we’ve even gone so far as to get Chris Barrie back on board to voice Simon).

Brilliant! I’m cautiously optimistic about the new Simon game. I wish you guys the best of luck with it and look forward to hearing more.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

German humour isn’t all bad, I actually do like quite a bit of Nick Knatterton. But anyhow, my biggest issue with 4 and 5 is, that they were just obnoxious instead of being funny. A lot of insults, but it all was done with such a dull wit, that it just made me roll my eyes more than anything else. And I usually laugh to pretty much anything. I don’t know if the humour was lost in translation though.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2014-07-15

PM

tomimt - 15 July 2014 12:18 PM

they were just obnoxious instead of being funny. A lot of insults, but it all was done with such a dull wit, that it just made me roll my eyes more than anything else.

Yeah, that’s something we noticed too, so we’ve done a lot of work to get that balance right, from finding suitable reference material and writing numerous tests - plus a lot of humour comes down to the delivery, which is why we’re so happy to have Chris back on board. If anyone can deliver the right tone for Simon, it’s him!

For more news on the new Simon the Sorcerer game, magic yourself over to http://www.storybeasts.com (get it? Magic, Simon - I’M HILARIOUS!)

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2013-05-13

PM

Pinchpenny - 15 July 2014 12:09 PM
StoryBeast Dave - 15 July 2014 11:42 AM

(hell, we’ve even gone so far as to get Chris Barrie back on board to voice Simon).

Brilliant! I’m cautiously optimistic about the new Simon game. I wish you guys the best of luck with it and look forward to hearing more.

I like cautiously optimistic, we can work with that Grin

Simon (the Sorcerer) doesn’t appreciate that you’re not following the news of his upcoming adventure!
http://www.storybeasts.com is the place to go for updates and such.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Doom - 15 July 2014 11:06 AM
Iznogood - 15 July 2014 10:46 AM

Simon remains the obnoxious sexist rude slacker that we all know and love

Those days are over, we all hate obnoxious sexist rude slackers today, remember?

Yeah so I’ve heard, but it would be a poorer world imo if there weren’t room for obnoxious sexist rude slackers in fiction.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

Color me curious!

Any more information about your track record and more pictures?
How long have you been working on this and when will we see first screenshots?
Release?

So far the announcement seems quite understated, to be honest.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top