• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophyceanchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

We need more sci-fi/space/The Dig type adventure games

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2013-08-31

PM

Seeing that thread on Catyph got me thinking about how I abolsutely love a space themed game, but I really love a space themed adventure game. The dig was one of those games that was so weird and fascinating, I wish we had more that took place in space.

Anyone else with me on this?

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

I’ll agree that Sci-Fi adventures can be a bit rarer compared to contemporary or historical based games.

But games like Primordial, Machinarium, Gemini Rue, and even Broken Age keep things from being completely dire.

Or are you talking about games that play things serious and are about astronauts in semi-believable circumstances. Ie, a hard science adventure? Because I’d THATS what you want, yeah… Not much I’m afraid.

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

There was a Kickstarter for a pulp sci-fi adventure game inspired by The Dig: Jack Houston and the Necronauts. The development has been rather slow since, but hopefully it will be finished by the next year.

Apart from The Dig (which I also love) there’s a wonderful adventure Voyage by Kheops Studio inspired by Jules Verne’s saga From the Earth to the Moon. There’s a lost civilization to discover, alien mechanisms to assemble, some very inventive puzzles to solve and a beautiful, fun world to explore. The game also has this B-movie atmosphere mixed with steampunk.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

There were tons back in the 90s. We were almost over-saturated with adventure games set in space. Since then, I’m not sure what happened.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Last good one was that Perry Rhodan game which I really enjoyed.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

I liked the Sierra Rama game as a kid. It’s gleefully geeky and alien - alien number systems, alien engineering, alien IQ tests… okay, no, the IQ tests are recognizably old human puzzles. But the rest is great!

Scientifically (semi-)rigorous SF adventure games are rare for the same reason as “hard SF” TV shows. It’s easier for writers without much science background to tell SF stories to non-technical audiences if they “cheat” a little. I don’t object to this as long as the ideas and characters remain interesting. SF, to me, is about the exploration of ideas, of how human or other beings would react in what-if scenarios.

Infocom’s A Mind Forever Voyaging is TOTALLY implausible and inconsistent if you think about it, but it’s got cool ideas. Gateway bent physics constantly, but the virtual reality puzzles took a situation, established rules, and played with the consequences of those rules in an engaging, surprising way.

There’s a difference between SF that puts physics on hold to boost a cool idea, and fantasy novels/westerns/superhero comics in space. I enjoy a good “fight the evil aliens/explore the arbitrary alternate dimension” plot as much as anyone, but I’d like to see more SF games that have a neat concept at their core.

Which other adventures focus on how the consequences of an interesting hypothetical premise play out?

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2013-12-19

PM

There are those… two? Ringworld games. I mean, yeah, Ringworld: Revenge of the Patriarch is about as ‘interactive’ as The Walking Dead. But Return to Ringworld has a bit more meat on its adventure game bones.

It seems like most of the notable ‘serious’ Science Fiction games have a name to attached to them. Niven’s Ringworld, Spielberg’s The Dig, Arthur C. Clark on Rama, Asimov on City of Robots, Harlan Ellison on I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream....

Adventure Gamer Since 1992

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

If the Catyph thread sparked this one, you should probably check out Catyph developer Simon Mesnard (Simon_ASA)‘s previous game, ASA: A Space Adventure. It got a very favourable review here at AG. Also: the game’s forum thread.

And you’d probably also be interested in the upcoming game by Christopher Bischoff (Pyke here on the forums - although he hasn’t been here as often since his game got Kickstarted Tongue): Stasis. See the teaser trailers here, download and play the Alpha demo (that came with the Kickstarter campaign) here. Also: the game’s forum thread.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2009-12-05

PM

TimovieMan - 14 July 2014 12:43 PM

If the Catyph thread sparked this one, you should probably check out Catyph developer Simon Mesnard (Simon_ASA)‘s previous game, ASA: A Space Adventure. It got a very favourable review here at AG. Also: the game’s forum thread.

And you’d probably also be interested in the upcoming game by Christopher Bischoff (Pyke here on the forums - although he hasn’t been here as often since his game got Kickstarted Tongue): Stasis. See the teaser trailers here, download and play the Alpha demo (that came with the Kickstarter campaign) here. Also: the game’s forum thread.

I really liked ASA as well. If you like space based games you should try it. There are some others in development like Stasis and Europa 2022, which although it was unsuccessful in kickstarter is supposed to be back, that should be interesting to play. Hopefully there will be even more in the months to come.

JBHypno

Total Posts: 130

Joined 2010-12-09

PM

In my defense I’m working really hard! Promise I still lurk.. Grin

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Just name the devs, and they’re here Smile
I’m also waiting for Stasis…

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Simon_ASA - 03 August 2014 01:32 PM

‘berta ? Tongue

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Simon_ASA - 03 August 2014 01:32 PM

I’m also waiting for Stasis…

All the more reason to occasionally plug Stasis or Catyph on the forums. I definitely think it’s awesome to have the devs chime in on occasion.

Which reminds me, how’s the development of Asylum going? Agustin? Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 03 August 2014 03:32 PM

Which reminds me, how’s the development of Asylum going? Agustin? Smile

Might as well ask what the project is? Smile

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I’m here! Asylum is doing fine. Long story short, we recently had a bit of a slowdown because we decided to reimplement our engine in Unity. We needed more powerful features to render our characters and other visual effects, and implementing those in our standalone engine would have taken more time.

Indeed, Asylum is already running on Unity much better than it did before. The entire building is graphically complete and fully explorable. We intend to show an alpha next week at Gamescom. Unfortunately, a release date is still a mystery even to us; I’m venturing mid-2015 at most, and I’m hoping it will be ready earlier considering the quicker pace we have now. But this is all unofficial — when we announce a date, it will be 100% final.

The game is surpassing even our wildest expectations: it truly feels like a AAA game now, and some of the visual effects you will see are novel in adventure games. Story-wise, it remains untouched since early 2010 (minds will be blown, guaranteed).

In addition to the Asylum alpha, we will be teasing a new horror game in Gamescom. Since we’re close to finish all the graphics in Asylum, part of the team is ready to move on to a new project. This so-called #UnspeakableAdventure will be, hands down, the biggest news in adventure games this year — and this is no hyperbole. Stay tuned Smile

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

OK, this is off-topic, but I randomly call out a dev’s name and not three hours later he’s here with a scoop and a teaser!?

Is this a magical dev-summoning thread or something???

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top