• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophyceanchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Monday 2 July 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I think Dire Grove is my favourite game in the Mystery Case Files series, with some fun gameplay and a story that’s not as ridiculous as the Ravenhearst series (the acting, however, is just as bad). I’m not sure why these games are still called “casual”. They can get pretty involved and non-linear; there’s really nothing casual about them anymore!

Dire Grove was fine, but once again it was about supernatural events in an isolated, mysterious location. That and Victorian love stories seem to be the bread and butter of casual games — especially the super combo: an isolated, mysterious location haunted by ghosts of Victorian lovers! It seems to always be the same stuff. I wish the people who make these games (who seem to be mostly men) didn’t have such a sad view of the middle-aged women they’re primarily targeting. It’s like they’re saying “oh, we’re making games for sad, bored housewives, so let’s give them some harmless fright to distract them from a life of cooking for their ungrateful children, and some grand clichéd romance to make them forget for a minute about their boring, balding husband.” I don’t know if I’m expressing my thoughts clearly, but I always find that there’s something sad about these games.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

The Mystery Case Files are about the only casual adventures lite I really like. Dire Grove was great fun. By my definition they’re still casuals for two main reasons: 1) HOGS and more HOGS and still more HOGS. 2) Going back the way you came in a casual means going through the same series of screens. No turning around. Forward = ABCD. Back = DCBA. No *real* 1st-person adventure does that.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Fien - 02 July 2012 01:21 PM

2) Going back the way you came in a casual means going through the same series of screens. No turning around. Forward = ABCD. Back = DCBA. No *real* 1st-person adventure does that.

Interesting, never thought of it that way. A friend of mine, (zobraks’ archenemesis in that other forum aka Jerry) also gave good definition of casual games:

“When you click on something, it sparks, explodes, or farts.” Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I thought this was an Adventure game scene of the day   Naughty

LOL

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Fien - 02 July 2012 01:21 PM

By my definition they’re still casuals for two main reasons: 1) HOGS and more HOGS and still more HOGS. 2) Going back the way you came in a casual means going through the same series of screens. No turning around. Forward = ABCD. Back = DCBA. No *real* 1st-person adventure does that.

I definitely agree with that. What I meant was that games like MCF are not really “casual” in the original sense of the word, i.e. “games you can play for 15 minutes, forget about for days, play for another 15 minutes, etc.” The original casual games worked like that (basically, you solved the HOG on the current screen, progressed to the next screen, did the HOG there, etc.), but now some of them are getting much more involved, and you need to remember what parts you need to come back to, or just what the layout of the place is. I’m afraid the term “casual games” is going to stick anyway, but it’s going to become as appropriate as “adventure games” is to a genre that’s not particularly adventurous.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I don’t play many casuals (loved Drawn though) but I thought the classification had something to do with the puzzles not being terribly related to the story. I need to get past a gate so I click on the chicken which lays an egg which I can fry on the stove to feed the farmer who gives me the key. On second thought, that doesn’t sound too different from certain AGs Meh

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 03 July 2012 07:47 AM

I don’t play many casuals (loved Drawn though) but I thought the classification had something to do with the puzzles not being terribly related to the story.

Following that reasoning, the Layton games should be considered casuals as well…

A combination of puzzles that are unrelated to the story, easy difficulty and short length, perhaps?

Edit: no, that would be calling the awesome “To the Moon” a casual…  Confused

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top