• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoskeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Anything Goes.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Frown

Did you actually have to pay it in situ? Or did you get a bill (that’s how it seems to go in Finland)? Because if you just got a bill, basically if you leave the country I doubt they’d come and collect it… Also, you should have a way to contest the bill. I mean, in principle at least.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I think they collect in situ when foreigners and tourists are involved (they do that in Belgium as well)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Today I got a phonecall from the museum where I had applied to as a volunteer. They had turned me down already because they thought they didn’t have any work for me that I would like, but some other people there had poured over my CV a bit and decided that I should start there immediately! Woot! So next Tuesday I have a meeting with the people I have to work with, and the Thursday afterward I will have to follow a course on how to handle the historical artifacts they have there.
I’m excited and keen to start!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

What museum is it, tsa? In other words, what kind of historical artifacts do they have?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

It’s a natural history museum called Twentse Welle (sorry, it’s only in Dutch). They have all kinds of things there, from very old fossils to looms that were used in the many textile factories we had here until the late 1960s. I’m not sure exactly what they want me to do but I guess it has to do with photographing objects and doing research about their history etc.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Does anybody know anything about smartphones?
The missus wants one, primarily to take photos and short video clips with (so photo quality should be the main selling point), otherwise the use is probably going to be limited to phoning, texting and Facebook.
Any suggestions about which brand and model I should be looking out for?

Oh, and for those who care: it’s going to be a boy! Cool

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The work at the museum sounds interesting, tsa.  Let us know how it goes.

Timo,
My phone is very dumb, so I can’t help you with that. 

I think it’s great that you’ll have one of each.  What names do you like?

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

My phone ain’t so smart, either (it’s very wise, though - that’s what really matters Wink). I know there are a couple smartphones, like that one from Nokia, with a really high-quality camera if that’s what you need. Like a bazillion megapixels. But for avid-but-casual photographing that may be overkill. But if she really wants a phone with maximum photo quality, should probably look into one of those.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 26 September 2014 03:29 PM

The missus wants one, primarily to take photos and short video clips with (so photo quality should be the main selling point), otherwise the use is probably going to be limited to phoning, texting and Facebook.

I do remember seeing a quite extensive test of the photo and video quality of smartphones, and the winner of that test was iPhone 5s with Sony Experia Z1 at the 2nd place, but the differences wasn’t that large, and that test is almost a year old and much can have happened in the meantime.

Must smartphones would probably satisfy her needs, and in the end I would select depending on whether you prefer iPhone, Android or Windows phones (I personally prefer Android), and what kind of budget you have for it.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

TimovieMan - 26 September 2014 03:29 PM

I’m sorry, I’m stuck with iPhone so I can’t help you there. The 6/6+ have good cameras but they’re also much too expensive for what they give you so I think you’d better look elsewhere.

Oh, and for those who care: it’s going to be a boy! Cool

Cool! Name: Kian?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 26 September 2014 04:27 PM

I think it’s great that you’ll have one of each.  What names do you like?

I always said I wanted one of each, first a girl and then a boy. Got my wish. Cool
Although, to be fair, two girls would have been cool too. Smile

The name’s practically decided already, but we’re keeping that a secret. There has to be some element of surprise still… Grin

tsa - 26 September 2014 05:46 PM

Cool! Name: Kian?

No. Not a character I really like, btw.
Although the similar Keiran and Cillian were on the my shortlist. Tongue

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Is it Wonkers? It’s Wonkers, I isn’t it Tongue

Oh and congratulations! I forgot to say that earlier…

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Hey Jacob, welcome!

If this is anything to go by, I think we’ll get along just fine. Cool

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Ah, no reply to my guess that the child is called Wonkers! I believe I hit too close to the truth Wink

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Iznogood - 26 September 2014 05:34 PM

Must smartphones would probably satisfy her needs, and in the end I would select depending on whether you prefer iPhone, Android or Windows phones (I personally prefer Android), and what kind of budget you have for it.

This. Start with which platform she is happy with and then check specs for a decent camera on the platform you want. To be honest, most recent smart phones have a pretty decent camera anyway so platform is probably all you need to worry about.

Also +1 for teh androidz.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top