• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Anything Goes.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 20 August 2014 05:39 AM

Very true. How many posters here are French? Virtually none.

Shimrod is one, and Simon_ASA as well, if I’m not mistaken. But yeah, compared to the Dutch presence on the forums for instance… Tongue

I do believe it’s gotten a lot better with the younger generations in France, though. More and more fluency in English. Thank the internet for that.

And it’s actually quite understandable that large countries with a well-known language have little need for additional languages. How many people in the UK or the States speak anything fluently, other than English, for instance?

subbi - 20 August 2014 03:33 AM

The germans and the italians have overcome this hurdle with a little more grace than France it appears.

They’re just lagging behind a little. Wait another decade, there’ll be a vast difference.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 20 August 2014 06:36 AM
Karlok - 20 August 2014 05:39 AM

Very true. How many posters here are French? Virtually none.

Shimrod is one, and Simon_ASA as well, if I’m not mistaken. But yeah, compared to the Dutch presence on the forums for instance… Tongue

It’s the same everywhere, not just the AG forums.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

subbi - 20 August 2014 03:33 AM

And when there is a FIFA worldcup address, then almost always the presentations are done in French and English. (though that may be linked to Blatter and Platini   Frown )

That’s how it is with basically all major international (at least slightly Western) institutions. English and French. Sometimes of course other languages too, but at least English and French. I believe all the rulings of the ICJ (International Court of Justice), for example, are always either English or French.

Which, of course, dates in a great deal back to the fact that after Latin fell out of “universal” use it has with very few exceptions been either of those two languages (or, rather, just French up until the 20th century) that has been the lingua franca. I guess the French have a hard time accepting they’re not #1 in that sense anymore Wink

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

And now for something completely different… Tongue

There’s a TV channel here that’s showing several older “Live at the Apollo” stand-up comedy shows from the BBC (they’re showing 2009 episodes at the moment).

While there have been several comedians on it that I already knew (the great Omid Djalili, Lenny Henry, Rhod Gilbert and Rich Hall come to mind), as well as some that I knew from elsewhere (like their appearances on panel shows like QI - Dara Ó Briain and Sean Lock for instance), occasionally there’s an unknown (or at least unknown to me) that pops up and has me in stitches (like Shappi Khorsandi, Jack Whitehall and Ed Byrne). Cool

There’s now an “unknown” that in no time has become one of my absolute favourite comedians (I’m currently holding her in about as much esteem as Eddie Izzard), and that’s the utterly hilarious Sarah Millican. Thumbs Up

Seriously, she’s insanely funny, and it’s a shame I only now found out about her. Been watching a bunch of her routines on YouTube, and they’re all great. I just love her sense of humour. Grin

Just watch:

Live at the Apollo
Comedy Festival Gala
Comedy Festival Gala 2
Royal Variety Performance
Melbourne International Comedy Festival

Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

UPtimist - 20 August 2014 04:50 PM

Which, of course, dates in a great deal back to the fact that after Latin fell out of “universal” use it has with very few exceptions been either of those two languages (or, rather, just French up until the 20th century) that has been the lingua franca. I guess the French have a hard time accepting they’re not #1 in that sense anymore Wink

Lets not forget German in that comparison.
German has also been used as a form of universal language or high-class language in many European countries similar to French, perhaps not in quite as many countries for quite as long a time, but still…

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I agree with you about Millican, Timo!  She is a real hoot.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

She was also in QI once Smile.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

*google* oh yeah, her Smile In fact, she’s been in five episodes.

TimovieMan - 20 August 2014 05:17 PM

as well as some that I knew from elsewhere (like their appearances on panel shows like QI - Dara Ó Briain and Sean Lock for instance), occasionally there’s an unknown (or at least unknown to me) that pops up and has me in stitches (like Shappi Khorsandi, Jack Whitehall…

I know those two from QI as well Grin

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 22 August 2014 06:36 AM
Advie - 21 August 2014 06:36 PM

No, not sick, but the strangest thing had happened all the same.

Do tell.  Innocent

I don’t think it will cheer any of you guys, but if you insist, and to keep it short, I had beaten up a police officer, after he cursed my mother, and you can figure out the rest.
in my country you can go to jail if you just talked about your rights of good treatment of those in higher authority.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Also here assaulting a police officer would not go unnoticed, even if he had cursed your mother or any other relative.

Beating up police offers, even if justified, is a big no-no in most countries

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

subbi - 22 August 2014 09:26 AM

Also here assaulting a police officer would not go unnoticed, even if he had cursed your mother or any other relative.

Beating up police offers, even if justified, is a big no-no in most countries

its along story subbi, not as it sounds (att all).. but anyways, it over now.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’ll take it Police Quest won’t be your favorite Sierra series… but the good thing is you’re here now! Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Just in case anyone was wondering, I’m dropping a line to let you know I’m alive Wink
I’ve been away a month or a two before too from various reasons, but this time I actually got sick, and was even hospitalised for a month. I’m home now but with heavy medication and have at least two checkups coming in the couple of next weeks.

In a way I have some time to play since I’m on sick leave but we’ve been playing Divinity: Original Sin and some WoW with my spouse so from adventures I’ve only been able to squeeze in the last chapter of Wolf Among Us so far. I missed the Gray Matter playthrough also, could have actually participated on that one.

My avatar is kinda fitting now too, I really do feel like I have one of those slugs on my head. (I had aseptic meningitis followed by intercranial hypertension.)

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

millenia - 23 August 2014 07:32 AM

Just in case anyone was wondering, I’m dropping a line to let you know I’m alive Wink
I’ve been away a month or a two before too from various reasons, but this time I actually got sick, and was even hospitalised for a month. I’m home now but with heavy medication and have at least two checkups coming in the couple of next weeks.

In a way I have some time to play since I’m on sick leave but we’ve been playing Divinity: Original Sin and some WoW with my spouse so from adventures I’ve only been able to squeeze in the last chapter of Wolf Among Us so far. I missed the Gray Matter playthrough also, could have actually participated on that one.

My avatar is kinda fitting now too, I really do feel like I have one of those slugs on my head. (I had aseptic meningitis followed by intercranial hypertension.)

That doesn’t sound very good millenia. I know what it’s like to be that sick; I’ve been through that in 2012. I wish you all the best and a swift recovery. Blatant plug: play some Freeware AGs! They’re often short and not too hard so you can fit them in with little problems.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Yea I was thinking about playing episodic adventures too: AR-K, final episode of Hector, Journey Down and maybe even some SamnMax and stuff. But when my sick leave ends I really need to get back to school work too since obviously I’m going to be graduating late as it is already.

In a way I’ve been lucky, since so far I haven’t got any noticeable permanent damage anywhere, could have lost some hearing or sight here even. Or I could have had some bleeding in my brain with these symptoms, in which case I could have lost pretty much everything. But I’m not exactly healthy here and will need to medicate myself for a long time still just to recover, even if nothing new comes up.

Actually, the meningitis seemed to affect my taste. For some reason I could eat a few things in the hospital I though to be kinda disgusting before. And this was while I had some days I couldn’t get/keep anything down. Currently one of my drugs alters my taste a bit too, kinda pity. Makes soda taste bad, very chemical and weird. Mineral water tastes sweet then for some reason. And once in a while I just taste liquorice in my throat, I have no idea why.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top