• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #28: Gray Matter

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Perhaps this is too soon, as UPtimist is still struggling to finish the game, but before I forget it: I would like to thank Sefir for leading this playthrough.

I would also like to thank all the other participants for contributing to making this an interesting CP. I as always, enjoyed reading the thoughts and many different interpretations of what was happening in the game, even when… or perhaps especially when they differed from my own interpretations or preconceived opinions.

Regarding the game itself, then I was actually a bit disappointed. I really liked the game when I originally played it, but this time it didn’t really manage to excite me - This is however not unusual for me, as very few games on replay can live up to my memory of the original playthrough.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Based on my memory of when I played this a few years ago, I have to agree with Iznogood about the car accident and the hand - premeditated murder and Angela.

I’m quite surprised at reading all these theories about the Bride of Frankenstein. I thought it was meant as a sequel hook - we now know what Styles and Sam can accomplish together and I kind of envisioned them “teaming up” and tackling other seemingly paranormal cases in the future, with the Bride of Frankenstein being their first case after this game…

Seen too many movies, perhaps?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 15 August 2014 05:07 PM
diego - 15 August 2014 02:30 PM

Still, was it Angela, Laura or someone third (Helborn?) at the window spying on David?

Definitely, with 100% certainty, without a doubt: Angela - I think it was only for bonus points, so you might have missed it, but Sam can blow flour on the window to see the handprints, which are too small to be a man’s, and if it isn’t said straight out then it is at least very strongly hinted that it is Angela’s

When I first played the game I was very disappointed on this moment. I actually thought that someone was using a lantern similar with the one Sam had, with a paper figure of Laura in it, to project her ghostly image through the window, into David’s room and perhaps the stairs. I was, of course wrong….

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Iznogood - 15 August 2014 05:35 PM

Perhaps this is too soon, as UPtimist is still struggling to finish the game, but before I forget it: I would like to thank Sefir for leading this playthrough.

Not at all, I’ve pretty much given my closing statements (from my first playthrough), now I’m just doing appendix Wink

Besides, if Diego finished, someone has to be the one who’s still playing when everyone else has gone home Grin

Iznogood - 15 August 2014 05:07 PM
UPtimist - 15 August 2014 03:53 PM

I’m still finishing Ch 7, and what is confusing me is how you’re supposed to know what time to check in the experiment records (brain scans)...

For the exact times, you can check Sam’s written reports on the incidents on Styles computer (as I recall), though not for the last incident.

Weird if you can’t get the last time from anywhere (that you have to just go through all the times)... Though also weird if Sam updates the original reports for the third incident instead of doing a new report, since there’s only “Experiment Report no.1” and no sign that it has been updated (I’m sure on my first playthrough I got the right clues at some point, but once again on the second playthrough I’m skimming through without being thorough… Although I’m also making sure I’m getting all bonus points so I can get the Achievement (in my first one I missed the bonus for Ch1) Grin The only Achievement I’ll have left then is the “finish in under 5 hours” which I’m just not going to do…)

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2014-06-05

PM

I haven’t replied in a while - summer vacation. Wink

But I did finish the game, and short version is that I was overall a bit disappointed throughout all the chapters.
I thought the ending was ok - I had figured out the Angela-plot, but wasn’t sure up till the end whether or not there also was a grand game going on.
I feel as though I missed some major plot point between chapter 7 and 8 - as if there was suddenly a lot of Sam’s actions and motivations we as players (of her, even) were not made aware of, and that annoyed me.

The Daedelus end puzzle was ok - beautiful, but not entirely logical. In the end I consulted a walkthrough as I was leaving for vacation and wanted to finish, dammit. Wink

I think Laura’s spirit was present and it was she who “wrote” impostor on the machine-thingy. But I could not take her seriously throughout the game with that voice actor! She sounded like she was the age of David’s mother, not his wife. It was so, so hard to suspend disbelief and get into the whole “he loved THAT OLD WOMAN”-vibe Wink

Eh. It was an ok game, but I’m not sobbing my heart out for a sequel. (And the whole Sam <3 Dr. Styles-vibe that I personally got from the end scene made me throw up in my mouth a little. I so wish for once we didn’t have to go there!)

Happy gaming!

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 15 August 2014 06:41 PM

When I first played the game I was very disappointed on this moment. I actually thought that someone was using a lantern similar with the one Sam had, with a paper figure of Laura in it, to project her ghostly image through the window, into David’s room and perhaps the stairs. I was, of course wrong….

More or less the same thing happened for me on my first playthrough. I thought the “shape” on the window was actually on David’s bedroom window and not on the window in the tower (an easy mistake to make with a 2d view without depth perception, through two glass windows), and I though I had to use the lantern to recreate the shape thereby recreating what David had seen in his bedroom.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

we now know what Styles and Sam can accomplish together and I kind of envisioned them “teaming up” and tackling other seemingly paranormal cases in the future.

Yes, and to tell you the truth, after playing and enjoying this game - this concept - them teaming up together and handling “seemingly” paranormal cases would work perfectly for me as a sequel.

I’d love to play it - done right this game could be even better than this one and be a classic game in it’s own right.

Now my fingers are crossed that we do indeed see a GM2.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

diego - 15 August 2014 02:30 PM

Along with of course, Robert Holmes’ music and Raleigh Holmes’ voice for Sam.

Actually, Sam is voiced by Philippa Alexander. Raleigh’s first voice acting was in Cognition.

What you said about the quality of design was spot-on, though. It is very clear, unfortunately, that the (final) team in Gray Matter was just much more solid than the one at Phoenix Online. I like PO but they have a lot to improve especially in the technical department.

Somebody mentioned that the necklace part was left unresolved, but I thought it was quite strongly implied (and quite clear) that it was just a coincidence. To be honest, I don’t remember it in the beginning, but since it was just mentioned again in the big fight after the magic show, that’s how I remember it…

BTW I tried telling Helena where to go in the maze, but it doesn’t work, she just disappears and you have to find her again. You need to tell her to stay and find her yourself. (The whole Daedalus cellar part is where the Xbox interface gets very cumbersome. There’s just too much on the screen and it takes ages finding anything in the hotspot wheel)

chrissie - 14 August 2014 12:42 PM
Becky - 14 August 2014 10:41 AM

I wondered what it meant in the four portraits paintings where once the “light” was switched, one character in each painting had a card somewhere on his/her body. I remember in my first playthrough, I thought that was a hint for the puzzles. Is it just a red herring?

I’m thinking now that maybe there were clues as to which doors to go through maybe?

I’m pretty sure the card is a hint as to which room the hint in the painting (i.e. the item in question) is useful in.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Finished! Grin

Though I didn’t get the last bonus point so I’ll have to do it again Shifty Eyed Need that achievement!

You know, I don’t know what to make of the Bride of Frankenstein thing. I did notice, however, that it has the Daedalus logo on it, which might maybe hint that we’re not all done with the Daedalus club yet?

Anyways, thank you everyone for a great playthrough, even if y’all aren’t here anymore Smile (in my head I’m seeing this as a big party hall, but now everyone has left, and I’m like “yes! I’m done!”, then going on stage and talking in a microphone to an empty room, maybe someone comes back because they forgot their coat, waves at me and then goes away again Wink)

(Edit): Yes! Achievement Unlocked! Didn’t even have to replay the whole chapter, just the bonus points.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

UPtimist - 19 August 2014 07:15 AM

(in my head I’m seeing this as a big party hall, but now everyone has left, and I’m like “yes! I’m done!”, then going on stage and talking in a microphone to an empty room, maybe someone comes back because they forgot their coat, waves at me and then goes away again Wink)

Nah, we are all here, still having a look or two, at least as long as this playthrough remains pinned. Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

thank you everyone for a great playthrough.

Yes, I could not agree more - it was a great playthrough. My 2nd time playing the game and I actually enjoyed the second time through as much as the first time.

Great adventure games like “Gray Matter” can be played many times with each play through as good as the first time.

This game I’d even do another community playthrough - this was fun.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oh… Hey UPtimist, just came back for my coat… didn’t think anybody was still here. So you have finally finished the game, congratulations on that.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Has everyone now finished the game? If so thank you Sefir - you’ve been a great playthrough leader…..... as always!  Heart And also thank you to each & every participant for your many thoughtful comments which made me enjoy replaying this game so much more - it’s been enlightening & a delight!  Laughing

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

UPtimist - 19 August 2014 07:15 AM

Anyways, thank you everyone for a great playthrough, even if y’all aren’t here anymore Smile

U MAD?! I wouldn’t miss it for the world - the first time I’m not the last one to finish the playthrough! Grin Crazy

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Smile

You know, does every Jane Jensen game have some sort of a maze-ish thing in the end? I wonder what that is all about Grin

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top