• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #28: Gray Matter

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I don’t know if it’s that unlikely. I’d guess that if and when Pinkerton Road makes its next “season” of games, Gray Matter 2 is pretty high on that list. (Of course, so is Anglophile Adventure but hopefully we could get both - I’m sure that at least either of those will get made)

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I don’t know if it’s that unlikely. I’d guess that if and when Pinkerton Road makes its next “season” of games, Gray Matter 2 is pretty high on that list. (Of course, so is Anglophile Adventure but hopefully we could get both - I’m sure that at least either of those will get made)

That would be nice. We’ll see of course. I don’t know how well Moebius sold or Gray Matter for that matter - but I hope well enough to see JJ do further Gray Matter adventures.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

diego - 23 July 2014 03:29 PM

I hear your concerns Izno & chrissie, but I’m thinking positively about it - aren’t we a little “spoiled” when it comes to “you should go there”, “you should do that next”...? Tongue I mean, take a look at the mid-section of Monkey Island 1 or 2 - after your goals are clearly stated at the beginning, what you’re left with is a huge island(s) to explore, without much direct nudges as what locations and in what order you should explore. Similarly, in chapter 6, you’re familiar with the “main” objectives and locations, but now there’s really a more “freedom” to it - travel around the city, snoop around, see what happens…

I’ve now finished the chapter & you’re absolutely right diego about being spoilt & just wish I’d appreciated the freedom to start with, also you have the colour coding on the locations to help too! But, does anyone else have a problem distinguishing between Silver location names where there are still things to do & Grey where all required actions are done in that location?

I’ve found the chapter interesting in that Sam still thinks that the events are an illusion (maybe they are?) despite witnessing one of them herself, also unravelling a little more about the various characters. For the Alice puzzle I did guess the name of the mage but must have pressed a wrong button somewhere so after trying other things had to refer to a walkthrough which confirmed my original guess! (aagh!)

I was very impressed with Sam when she unexpectedly finished Swinburne’s poem - I thought Angela was going to catch her out!

Was it mentioned before that there’s a hint of JJ being inspired by Quentin Tarantino? I watched Kill Bill last night & interestingly there’s a long cut scene presented in ‘comic book’ style animation which reminded me of the cut scenes in this game!

N.B. Timmon’s Park may have been inspired by somewhere else but there definitely isn’t one named that in & around Oxford!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

chrissie - 29 July 2014 05:03 AM

I was very impressed with Sam when she unexpectedly finished Swinburne’s poem - I thought Angela was going to catch her out!

Yes! That was a nice moment Angela trying to be a smartass and Sam just calmly reciting the rest of the poem

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

chrissie - 29 July 2014 05:03 AM

For the Alice puzzle I did guess the name of the mage but must have pressed a wrong button somewhere so after trying other things had to refer to a walkthrough which confirmed my original guess! (aagh!)

What I really like about that puzzle is that the last thing is kind of a double-hint, where you can figure out the “name of the mage” part but also when each line has an anagram, you can figure out that means the name of the game, and the name of the game is also an anagram and so on. It actually took me a while before I figured out that everything’s an anagram the first time I played Grin

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

UPtimist - 29 July 2014 09:00 AM

What I really like about that puzzle is that the last thing is kind of a double-hint, where you can figure out the “name of the mage” part but also when each line has an anagram, you can figure out that means the name of the game, and the name of the game is also an anagram and so on. It actually took me a while before I figured out that everything’s an anagram the first time I played
Grin

What?

I missed that!

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Haha, I almost missed it too on my first go Smile

Also: I finally caught up! And just in the nick of time, too Tongue

Also, it’s funny that I seem to have had more trouble with this chapter now than I remember having on my first go… It’s not the first time something like that has happened, either. I guess on my first playthroughs I’m more thorough.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Hello everyone!! Chapter 6 is off and we are ready to move into the next one!
I admit that I was seriously thinking of playing both chapters this week, since chapter 7 is a small one.
A small, Styles one, one that gives some background information, reveals how serious things are and ends in a nice cinematic. For all those reasons (and the fact that chapter 8 is one of the best in adventure gaming and deserves to be played alone), I decided to give the green light just for ch7. After all, I believe there are plenty of things to be discussed in it anyway.

You have until the 6th of August to finish the chapter, one step closer from the grand finale.

Tip of the week: Some people, like Sam, spent entire days solving exquisite riddles to find what they are looking for. Others, like Styles, just ask for it the right people and get the same thing within seconds. Grin

P.S.Some internet problems prevent me from posting this chapter’s week screenshot. I’ll edit it tomorrow.  Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’ve found the chapter interesting in that Sam still thinks that the events are an illusion (maybe they are?) despite witnessing one of them herself, also unravelling a little more about the various characters.

I could not agree more. An interesting chapter. Sam continues to develop as a character as the game progresses. And I do like the supporting characters as well, an eclectic mix to say the least.

Oh, well it’s time for chapter 7. Another David chapter. Yippie.

Meh  Meh  Meh

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I don’t think the David chapters are too bad Smile Also, how awesome was it in the previous David chapter when he talked with his serious David voice about “orange lollies” Tongue

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So did we pass the moment where he goes off on the phone against the social worker who gave out confidential information (at his request no less)?

I thought that was a great character-establishing moment for Dr. Styles.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 31 July 2014 03:49 AM

So did we pass the moment where he goes off on the phone against the social worker who gave out confidential information (at his request no less)?

It is in this chapter, so I would probably suggest Spoiler Tags Timo. But I totally agree that it is one of the most rememberable scenes in the game!!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 31 July 2014 07:13 AM

It is in this chapter, so I would probably suggest Spoiler Tags Timo. But I totally agree that it is one of the most rememberable scenes in the game!!

Whoops, thought it was a bit earlier in the game. Embarassed
Spoiler tags added.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

UPtimist - 30 July 2014 11:12 AM

Also, it’s funny that I seem to have had more trouble with this chapter now than I remember having on my first go… It’s not the first time something like that has happened, either. I guess on my first playthroughs I’m more thorough.

Yeah, that might also have been the reason why I had a bit of trouble in this chapter.
When you have already played a game before, you don’t pay the same attention to details, simply because you believe you can remember what you need to do, and quite often you are right, but when you are wrong, it hits much harder, because up until this point every thing has been so easy.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 31 July 2014 07:13 AM
TimovieMan - 31 July 2014 03:49 AM

Rememberable because it is not what you expect.
You would expect that Dr. Styles is just thankful for the information, because that is what most protagonists in AG would be, so he kind of breaks the convention for AG here.

I still think the park scenes are the most memorable in the game though.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top