• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Henk61

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Grim Fandango Remastered

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-03-07

PM

$15? heck yes. and it’s DRM-free on GOG too.

after watching the ‘making of’ vids it’s pretty clear that the devs have tried to keep the game as faithful to the original as possible. yeah yeah, we all would have liked to see a ‘true’ HD remake or whatever, but surely, the mere fact that this is getting released on a bunch of different platforms that will run without problems on current-gen hardware and (most importantly) is back ‘in print’ as it were for the first time in a decade or so is nothing short of awesome.

personally i have avoided playing loads of adventure games because i hate sitting in front of a computer. being able to do this on my couch with a controller in my hands is a dream come true.

i have been begging my friends to play this game since i was a teenager (10+ years ago). i don’t think any of them ever did. now that the re-release is coming out and it gets a whole new round of press coverage will both introduce this classic to a new generation and hopefully serve to further reinvigorate the adventure game genre overall.

broken age and day of the tentacle coming out will be more insta-buys for me!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

$15? heck yes. and it’s DRM-free on GOG too.

15 is a good price - DRM-free is a real plus also.

I hope it helps make 2015 a very good year for adventure games.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

2 playthroughs confirmed.

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Interesting article in today’s Chicago Tribune. I believe it originally appeared in the LA Times, so I don’t know how old it is.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Grim Fandango Remastered Launch Trailer

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Reviews are out mostly 9.

IGN 9.3

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2012-05-20

PM

Most reviews are positive. One thing that I was surprised by (http://www.gamesradar.com/grim-fandango-review/):

Some complaints about technical issues:

’ (...) here’s no auto-saving whatsoever, meaning if you don’t take time to save your game often, you could find yourself reeling from a show-stopping bug. And boy, are there bugs. Sound effects frequently cut in and out, weird lighting issues cause certain objects to blink incessantly, and cutscene transitions can be especially jarring. One time I clipped through a door and couldn’t get back out; another time, I gave an item to someone who then began to spin around in place for the rest of eternity. Each one required me to reboot my game - and without auto-saves in a time when most people have come to expect them, many bugs can potentially set you back several hours. There were many times where I felt like Grim Fandango’s code was hanging together by a tenuous, skeletal thread. ‘

‘Those bugs, though? Those are all new.’

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Another strong contender for a Community Playthrough when the current one ends… Smile

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

This Gamesradar reviewer apparantly does not know the difference between remastering an older game and releasing an entirely new edition/remake.

Some of his points are valid, but you simply can’t compare this remaster with f.i. the new MI editions or expect such improvements as part of a remastered game.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-03-07

PM

downloading now! argh! can’t wait!

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

subbi - 27 January 2015 04:19 AM

This Gamesradar reviewer apparantly does not know the difference between remastering an older game and releasing an entirely new edition/remake.

Some of his points are valid, but you simply can’t compare this remaster with f.i. the new MI editions or expect such improvements as part of a remastered game.

REmake Remaster HD says Hi!

Clearly those bugs and issues mean its DoubleFine game, and they have so much in pipeline for their manpower to pull off, they clearly pushed it out of the door.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Am I losing a bit of perspective if I think an 8 out of 10 from Eurogamer is bordering on a travesty? Wink

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-27-grim-fandango-remastered-review

Didn’t the author name it his second best adventure game of all time on a recent best of list?

Anyway, its a 10 out of 10 for me, and all those issues he seems to suggest no one in their right mind would appreciate(challenging puzzles? Who likes challenging puzzles these days? NO ONE!) are part of what make it the EPIC it is.

Really disagree with the writer on that front.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Same Richard Cobbett complained about the easiness of Broken Age, yet awarded it with a higher mark. Seems to me he is looking for some ideal game he has in his mind. Or maybe he is getting old Smile

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Yeah, seems weird complaining the puzzles are too hard for todays people. “Game was amazing in the 90s, now it should have auto-save, teleporting and easier puzzles because that’s how todays game are”.

Also don’t watch remastered classic movies in black and white because today everything is in color and 3D… (I may be exaggerating Smile )

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

What I love is that it’s HUGELY highlighted on the PS4 store for weeks now. That’s gotta do some good for AGs in general.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top