• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021Undefined

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Night Trap coming with Better Res

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 11 August 2014 08:11 AM

KS is up

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1018579240/night-trap-revamped

Quite barebones imo

Do you guys have balls enough to spare 20$???

That 10$ tier is a master troll work lol

Physical only? and more 25$ for shipping? I’m out!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Why ruin a classic with a remake? This game should be enjoyed as it was.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Oh wow… talk about a kickstarter that is fully void of realities of modern game audiences and how KS pledges usually work. I mean, yeah, I’d love to see old FMV games remastered to higher resolution, but to make a KS project that has only phsyical tiers? And the sum they want is a bit high as well, with postage and all.

I would have been interested, if there had been a modest tier with download only, but for this, I’m out.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Yeah, I don’t think irony is going to help this game reach its goal.

I would actually weep if this Kickstarter was successful while the Ecco the Dolphin or the Jim Walls Kickstarters failed.

I’m also surprised there is very little mention of Dana Plato. That’s the elephant in the room here - it’s a sad reminder of a child actor’s career on the skids. NIGHT TRAP!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

If any of you are planning to back this, take heed on this article:
http://kotaku.com/night-trap-creators-defend-sloppy-kickstarter-sorta-1620307753

From this it’s pretty evident that they have very little idea of what they are really doing. I think this rises some more red flags for the project.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Yeah, I’m not interested in this game, but after reading that there’s quite a few red flags in this project. 

The excuse for not allowing a download of it is really weak too.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Its confirmed failed KS now, they took shots on Nintendo then Ninty fans countered, now they are promising WiiU version, recent drama was so bad it ain’t even funny.

From this,

“We simply have no interest in paying licensing fees to a company that once tried very hard to put us out of business.”

To this,

“Will likely have some (earthshaking) news about wiiU ready to announce tomorrow. Stay tuned.”

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Amazing anecdote about Nintendo’s past treachery and how Night Trap was caught in the middle:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1018579240/night-trap-revamped/posts/954561

I’ve started seven companies in the past 29 years, so I can drone on and on about the nature of business relationships.  But I don’t want to bore you.

That said, I do want to talk about doing business with Nintendo, which obviously is a painful subject for us and — more importantly — something deeply of interest to many of you.

The story begins early in 1991 in Tokyo, where Sony and Nintendo were secretly collaborating on a new video game system that used CDs rather than cartridges as its media.  That system would ultimately morph into the PlayStation, and Nintendo would ultimately have nothing to do with it, but at the time it looked as if it were going to happen jointly.  Some Sony US execs had earlier seen two games that the four of us had created at Isix, a company funded by the toy company Hasbro, for its never-released NEMO game system: Night Trap and Sewer Shark.  Both Sony and Nintendo were convinced they needed to launch this system with a new type of software: full-motion-video interactive movies. And both were convinced we had the perfect two products for that launch. Sony was going to license Sewer Shark; Nintendo would license Night Trap. We labored closely with both companies for over nine months, until the Sony/Nintendo joint-venture fell apart.  Sony in turn introduced us to Sega and, in the fall of 1992, Sony released Sewer Shark for the Sega CD, bundled with the hardware; Sega released Night Trap.

We believed we had a terrific relationship with Nintendo — as we continued to have with Sony, and began to have with Sega.  We worked very closely with Nintendo, both in Japan and the US, and never requested so much as a dime from them. Instead, they assured us that, as soon as they had a system that could support FMV, we’d be a preferred software publisher for their new platform.  To us, this was what business was all about: give and take.

Flash forward a year.  In September of 1993, a US Senate committee began doing legwork on a real political plum: violence in video games.  Their initial focus was the game Mortal Kombat, published by Acclaim Entertainment for both Sega and Nintendo systems.  Nintendo went into overdrive, looking for something to attract attention away from its own problem.  Because we had worked with them on Night Trap, Nintendo had full-resolution video of the game, and created a short edit that made the title look shockingly sexist and violent, rather than the silly spoof it was.  Through its lobbyists in Washington, Nintendo delivered that edit to members of the committee’s staff, and Night Trap instantly became the lightening rod and poster child for video game violence.  The witch hunt was on!

Unless you have ever had the meaty fist of the US Senate slammed directly into your face, you have no idea how horrible that experience is — and not just for the four of us.  Every one of our colleagues at Digital Pictures was subjected to ridicule and disgust: parents wondered what sort of company their kids were working at; our landlord tried to throw us out of his building, because the parking lot was constantly mobbed with reporters; our bank canceled our line of credit.  I remember getting a call from Rob Fulop, when all this was starting up, asking me how we were going to stop it: his immigrant parents were seeing him portrayed on the evening news as a criminal, condemned by his childhood idol, Captain Kangaroo.

And the worst part was the betrayal: our friend and partner Nintendo, which only two years earlier had been ready to publish the game themselves, now hypocritically pointed a finger at us, to dodge a bullet they knew would hit either them or, better, us.  And we had handed them the gun they used to shoot us!

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Nintendo’s attitude to other game devs is no surprise though is it?

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Misleading a congressional hearing doesn’t seem very Nintendo-like to me but I suppose they have done some scummy things in the past.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

The guy could also be full of shit. Something tells me Nintendo doesn’t exactly have an army of lobbyists in Washington like they’re Goldman Sachs.

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2007-05-25

PM

Mikekelly - 19 May 2014 07:40 PM

Boy, does this one bring back memories. I have this game on my 3DO player. Despite low sales from 1994 - 2000 it was my favorite system to play adventure games on.

I have a copy in mint condition I fire up once every blue moon for fun. It’s an FMV game with limited play options but it caused quite a stir in it’s day.

Kinda cool in a VERY creepy way.

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Trap-3Do/dp/B000UFJE7U/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1400541087&sr=1-2&keywords=3do+night+trap

A real collector’s item now.

Heart

Hey! I love the 3DO too! Putt Putt and Fatty Bear were 2 pretty neat point and click adventures for the system designed by Ron Gilbert!

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2007-05-25

PM

nomadsoul - 16 August 2014 06:01 AM

Its confirmed failed KS now, they took shots on Nintendo then Ninty fans countered, now they are promising WiiU version, recent drama was so bad it ain’t even funny.

From this,

“We simply have no interest in paying licensing fees to a company that once tried very hard to put us out of business.”

To this,

“Will likely have some (earthshaking) news about wiiU ready to announce tomorrow. Stay tuned.”

They fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well known is this, never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line and only slightly less famous is… never, ever turn Nintendo fans against you. The project is toast.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I think there was a more recent thread but can’t find it

Night Trap is being released in 15 August digital PS4/Steam and Xbox later

There will be a physical version in Limited Run Games in 11 August

Bonus documentary

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Game was a hoot on the 3do system back in the day. One of the true classics of the system.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top