• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventures worth playing from the last five years or so

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

Hey everyone!

I used to be a pretty avid gamer and I’ve always loved adventure games. I have a nice collection at home with most of the classics and I’ve worked for a website dedicated to the genre from 2004 to 2008, I even interviewed Jensen, Lowe and Schafer back in the day, however after leaving that site I stopped playing games completely. I’m just now trying to return to the genre - after a brief return when I tried Gray Matter, which didn’t really hold my interest to play it to the end - but to be honest I haven’t seen anything that seems great, at least not at first glance. I’m currently getting Chains of Satinav and Broken Age just to try them, but I was wondering what adventures you think I should check out. Not exactly masterpieces but something I will most likely enjoy. I have tried several indie adventures such as Gemini Rue and Resonance but the only saga which I truly enjoyed and played completely were the Blackwell games.

Thanks for your help guys!

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

what are the classics you love? That might help pinpointing recent games you will enjoy

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

You should try Edna & Harvey: The Breakout if you liked Day of the Tentacle. It has a lot of the same feel to it and ingenious puzzles too.

Chains of Satinav and Memoria remind me of The Longest Journey.

If you don’t mind the interactive movie types, Heavy Rain for PS3 is a must, it has an intesive story that is praised even by people who gerenally don’t play adventures.

The new Blackwell game is of course coming out. I personally did enjoy Gemini Rue and Resonance too but The Blackwell series is the closest to my heart.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

As I thought Resonance was fantastic, and Gemini Rue and Grey Matter 2 of the other best adventures of the last 5 years, I’m rather at a loss for what to recommend. Blackwell for me was also very good, but probably behind the other 3. Hence as Jaap says, you have to give more idea of what you like…and for that matter, why you weren’t that keen on these 3, for anyone to really be able to give meaningful recommendations.

Broken Age is certainly a good place to start though.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

I enjoyed Episode 1 of the comedy adventure Fester Mudd. The price is right, so check it out if you get a chance. I really hope we see future episodes for it.

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

You should look into Black Mirror 2 and 3, Resonance, Primordia, Lost Chronicles of Zezura, Cognition, Lost Horizon (this one is probably my favorite, very Fate of Atlantis ish ). Those are a few of my favorites from the last few years.

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The Inner World
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
Deponia trilogy
Machinarium
Botanicula
The Cat Lady
Tales of Monkey Island
Kentucky Route Zero
The Whispered World
Gone Home (1st-person)
Journey of a Roach

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

The Book of Unwritten Tales.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ll add a vote to Lost Horizon, and I’ll propose To the Moon as well.

Also, would you consider getting a (cheap secondhand?) Nintendo DS? There are a lot of absolutely brilliant adventure games that were released on the DS (the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney games, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Last Window: The Secret of Cape West, Time Hollow, 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, Another Code, Ghost Trick: The Phantom Detective, Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past, the Professor Layton games, etc.)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

There are many modern adventures that are well written and easy to access.

Have you played Papers, Please? Besides being funny and engaging, it competed admirably against non-adventure titles for Game of the Year awards and won a BAFTA last year!

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Not sure if this is the right thread, but anyone here played this free game called “The Crooked man”? http://vgperson.com/games/crookedman.htm

It’s kind of a mild horror adventure game with graphics like To the moon. It’s a pretty interesting story.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Machinarium is the big stand out for me. Also maybe Tales of Monkey Island. Gone Home most recently, although it’s more interactive fiction than adventure.

Oh, and it goes without saying but Broken Age is well worth checking out. This year seems to be a good time for the genre.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

The Whispered World
The Book of Unwritten Tales
Memoria
Broken Age
Broken Sword 5

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

The Walking Dead is the must play adventure game from the past 5 years.  Can’t believe it hasn’t been mentioned yet.

Some people don’t like it because it’s easy, and they think it’s taking the genre into the wrong direction.  But people that do like it tend to love it.

Plus it won loads of Game of the Year awards.  From this site as well as some mainstream ones.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-07-30

PM

If you like comedy and a large dose of puzzles, I’ve quite liked what I’ve played of Deponia (by the same developers as Chains of Satinav).

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

Hey guys, sorry it took so long to get back at those asking what my favourite adventures were. I’ve played so many over the years it’s hard to pinpoint a specific thing because I can enjoy very different gameplays. So I’ll start with the easy part: I hated Fahrenheit with a passion so I’m not sure Heavy Rain would be something I would enjoy. I’ve played To The Moon all the way through and it was hard for me to stay awake during the whole thing. The comparison between Satinov and The Longest Journey worries me because I didn’t enjoyed the latter at all, I always had a problem with the dialog on the game which was not very gripping to me.

I’ve seen The Walkind Dead around and I want to try it, although I haven’t seen the series so I’m not sure if I should see it first in order to enjoy the game (is something I’m trying to avoid BTW). There are some very good recommendations here so I check out this thread later, thanks for the help guys!

Now to answer your question, even though I like a lot of adventures I will say I have always been pushed to Sierra’s side. GK of course is one of my favourites, and also Laura Bow. The last great mystery/thriller adventure I remember is Still Life, even despite all it’s many flaws. Has anything really good has come out lately within that genre? (Please don’t say Sherlock Holmes!)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top