• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabe

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Last finished game

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Uncharted 4 - A Thief’s End

Finished the game in just over 17 hours.

Pros

* Stunning to look at. Everything from the character models to the environments is beautiful. Must be one of the best looking games ever. The character models are uncannily lifelike.

* Although not as many big set pieces as in previous games the pacing is spot on. I liked the many quiet and puzzle sections just as much as the climbing and combat bits.

* Great cast with some superb voicework. The new characters of Sam, Nadine and Rafe are welcome additions to the cast.

* Great story that neatly wraps the series up, although it wasn’t the ending I expected. The amount of great character moments was unexpected from a rollercoaster blockbuster type game.

* Used the Last of Us Buddy system to great effect although occassionally it felt like it was lifted from that game. There was one level with the brothers that felt a bit like the Last of Us DLC level.

* The more open world combat and driving sequences made the game feel slightly less linear. The new mechanics were a lot of fun. Stealth felt right and the rope made for some fun impressive takedowns.

* Monkey Island Easter Egg for the win. Also noticed how similar one of the later levels was in play style to the PS1 easter egg at the start of the game. Is Uncharted really just a HD Crash Bandicoot in the chase sequences

Cons

* Can sometime feel a bit easy with the climbing etc being a tad automatic.

* Scotland level .... not any part of Scotland that I know.

* No more Uncharted Cry

Not as good as UC2 or LofUs, but still an amazing game.

5/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1642

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

metal gear solid 5

pros

great location
great graphics and i played it on the xbox 360
great sound design.
the best open world concept I have seen to date, blows assassins creed out the water as far as stealth gameplay. the only game that sort of comes close to it to me is red dead redemption but even that falls short of this.
great light touches of rpgs and even some very light rts concepts
the character quiet

cons

story is sort of scatter brained
2nd act repeating missions
last real mgs game probably

9.5/10 my second favorite mgs game behind mgs1.

my list goes
mgs1 groundbreaking characters, bosses, and great environments to test stealth gameplay
mgs5 (IM including ground zeroes in with this game)
mgs3 best soundtrack in gaming to me, mostly great characters and solid gameplay
mgs4 too many cutscenes didnt like a lot of the characters,couple of really great set pieces, still good but not great
mgs2 I hated the location aka a rehash of mgs1, I hated the characters especially Raiden

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Jdawg445 - 22 May 2016 07:54 PM

metal gear solid 5

pros

great location
great graphics and i played it on the xbox 360
great sound design.
the best open world concept I have seen to date, blows assassins creed out the water as far as stealth gameplay. the only game that sort of comes close to it to me is red dead redemption but even that falls short of this.
great light touches of rpgs and even some very light rts concepts
the character quiet

cons

story is sort of scatter brained
2nd act repeating missions
last real mgs game probably

9.5/10 my second favorite mgs game behind mgs1.

my list goes
mgs1 groundbreaking characters, bosses, and great environments to test stealth gameplay
mgs5 (IM including ground zeroes in with this game)
mgs3 best soundtrack in gaming to me, mostly great characters and solid gameplay
mgs4 too many cutscenes didnt like a lot of the characters,couple of really great set pieces, still good but not great
mgs2 I hated the location aka a rehash of mgs1, I hated the characters especially Raiden

Hmm, mgs1, mgs2 and mgs5 for me.
Mgs2 was amazingly meta in story, Raiden was just a tool.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

we will just have to agree to disagree, I thought the story was way too convoluted I hated raiden and most of the bosses besides vamp and olga. I mean a fatman on roller skates is even too over the top for mgs lol. it just seemed like a bad remake of mgs1 to me.
ps I feel like kojima accomplished with mgs5 what he was trying to do with mgs2. [spoiler]What I mean is in mgs2 kojima was trying to show how anyone could be solid snake so we get raiden, just like in mgs5 anyone can be big boss so we get punished venom aka the medic. same basic concept of mgs2 but I think far better executed in mgs5 bc venom was almost a silent protagonist like gordon freeman for half life, meanwhile raiden whined and never shut up so he didnt imprint the players personality like the fake big boss did. so mgs5 works far better as a metaphor for the whole series and a meta game, at least to me[spoiler]

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Jdawg445 - 23 May 2016 11:15 AM

we will just have to agree to disagree, I thought the story was way too convoluted I hated raiden and most of the bosses besides vamp and olga. I mean a fatman on roller skates is even too over the top for mgs lol. it just seemed like a bad remake of mgs1 to me.
ps I feel like kojima accomplished with mgs5 what he was trying to do with mgs2. [spoiler]What I mean is in mgs2 kojima was trying to show how anyone could be solid snake so we get raiden, just like in mgs5 anyone can be big boss so we get punished venom aka the medic. same basic concept of mgs2 but I think far better executed in mgs5 bc venom was almost a silent protagonist like gordon freeman for half life, meanwhile raiden whined and never shut up so he didnt imprint the players personality like the fake big boss did. so mgs5 works far better as a metaphor for the whole series and a meta game, at least to me[spoiler]

Mgs2 was Deusex in terms of world trend predictions, plus whole concept was based on Turing test. AIs were meant to make you believe you are something , in reality you are just a selection for societal sanity.
Problem with Mgs5 is not punished snake, its the time line screwups and repetition of themes, and the eureka moment was executed poorly, esp when fans predicted it through reveal trailer years before. They predicted it because it was done in mgs2.

And this level of writing and lingo was missing in his other games, its intelligent and desribed the future we live in now,

Kojima writing became shit tier fanfiction, maybe because his assistant writer left after mgs3.
Fission mailed.

As far as bosses go i always fathomed mgs2 crazy shit because of future tone, it was Cyber ghost in the shell, plus digital current world nanomachine infested world.
Mgs3 and others had not only super futuristic shit in past which never made sense,but Pain bees teleportation, End rising from dead and controlling trees, Fire demon of Colonel,
Mantis controling gear, and photosynthesis body of Quiet was far bonkers and crazy than vamp or fatman.
Esp in old eras, where tech was shit let alone Finalfantasy or WoW type End, Pain stuff.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

like I said I find mgs2 to be bad fan fiction and way too convoluted for it own good. the movie form of it would be the matrix movies. the first was a great introduction with interesting characters and great world building just like mgs1, meanwhile the 2nd matrix was like some poorly written overly convoluted fan fiction and thats how I feel about mgs2.

as far as bosses go I also agree that they were weak in mgs3, but I liked way more characters in 3 than 2. I loved Eva, The boss, Naked Snake, and Ocelot although his introduction was a little weak at the start of mgs3. I liked Major Zero, the medic, and the rest of the support team, plus I think Volgin is the 2nd most interesting main villain besides liquid. I found skullface to be a bit of a bore and I thought that solidus from mgs2 was lame as heck and looked like a poor man’s dr octopus from spiderman. thats where mgs has failed to some extent at least to me (much like marvel movies), most of the bad guys are just not very good after mgs1. mgs1 was perfect when you think about it’s boss progression; going from ocelot, to psycho mantis,than gray fox, to sniper wolf (my personal favorite side character in any game ever), to raven who was thee weakest to me but still cool, than liquid and the metal gear. we go from that great lineup to a fatman on rollerskates in 2. Plus I thought the gameplay was the weakest in 2 out of any mgs game. the controls and the fluidity of the level design was head and shoulders better in 3, especially with how the CQC was introduced and handled.

Finally I dont care how kojima tried to explain it away the subplot of liquid living on thru his hand being attached to ocelot was lame in mgs2, and the retcon of it in mgs4 was equally dumb.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Jdawg445 - 24 May 2016 09:49 AM

like I said I find mgs2 to be bad fan fiction and way too convoluted for it own good. the movie form of it would be the matrix movies. the first was a great introduction with interesting characters and great world building just like mgs1, meanwhile the 2nd matrix was like some poorly written overly convoluted fan fiction and thats how I feel about mgs2.

as far as bosses go I also agree that they were weak in mgs3, but I liked way more characters in 3 than 2. I loved Eva, The boss, Naked Snake, and Ocelot although his introduction was a little weak at the start of mgs3. I liked Major Zero, the medic, and the rest of the support team, plus I think Volgin is the 2nd most interesting main villain besides liquid. I found skullface to be a bit of a bore and I thought that solidus from mgs2 was lame as heck and looked like a poor man’s dr octopus from spiderman. thats where mgs has failed to some extent at least to me (much like marvel movies), most of the bad guys are just not very good after mgs1. mgs1 was perfect when you think about it’s boss progression; going from ocelot, to psycho mantis,than gray fox, to sniper wolf (my personal favorite side character in any game ever), to raven who was thee weakest to me but still cool, than liquid and the metal gear. we go from that great lineup to a fatman on rollerskates in 2. Plus I thought the gameplay was the weakest in 2 out of any mgs game. the controls and the fluidity of the level design was head and shoulders better in 3, especially with how the CQC was introduced and handled.

Finally I dont care how kojima tried to explain it away the subplot of liquid living on thru his hand being attached to ocelot was lame in mgs2, and the retcon of it in mgs4 was equally dumb.

I think its a matter of taste then, i expect Anime plots and development from Jap creators more than Marvel or Bond 007 mgs3.
Thats why androgynous Raiden clicked with me too, and hated Majzero to The Boss love blooming on battlefield giving birth to ocelot and his father as a ghost etc.
All in 60s.

Matrix and Wachowskis are hackjob, they invented bullettime but plot was bad ripoff of Akira, Ghostintheshell and Other Animes of 80s.
Again why i liked Mgs2, its essentially a simulation not a game, and that was a bold move in 2001.

Totally agree on Mgs1 though, thats classic shit.

Btw, at the time of Mgs2 , fanfiction of the world wasnt as developed nor internet saturation let alone Mgs fanfiction.
So for its time Mgs2 broke boundaries.
The Patriots theme and LiquidArm plus otherbits continued till Mgs5, it was Mgs2 creation.
S3 plan.
And saying Solidus Droctopus is like saying Fury, Volgin are Bad ripoff GIjoes.
In mgs4 infact Meryl team was Gijoes, Meryl = Scarlet, black dude Roadblock and other 2 you figure out.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Meta Gear has so much crazy thrown around that I don’t remember half, but then something like the vocal cord parasyte shows up that is just so genious! Where the hell does he come up with this stuff

Lucien21 - 22 May 2016 05:21 PM

* No more Uncharted Cry

No more Uncharted by Naughty Dog, I’m sure there will be more Uncharted in the future. The game just sold 3 million or something in the first week

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 24 May 2016 10:43 AM

Meta Gear has so much crazy thrown around that I don’t remember half, but then something like the vocal cord parasyte shows up that is just so genious! Where the hell does he come up with this stuff

* No more Uncharted Cry

No more Uncharted by Naughty Dog, I’m sure there will be more Uncharted in the future. The game just sold 3 million or something in the first week

There will be if gow success and iterations are any signal.
But i am glad ND got rid of it, waste of potential, they could pull off much more on gameplay and design.
New ips please, even dont go back to Tlou if it will be samey.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 24 May 2016 10:57 AM
wilco - 24 May 2016 10:43 AM

* No more Uncharted Cry

There will be if gow success and iterations are any signal.
But i am glad ND got rid of it, waste of potential, they could pull off much more on gameplay and design.
New ips please, even dont go back to Tlou if it will be samey.

I would prefer something new, Savage Starlight or something, but I think it’s definitely going to be Tlou 2

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I guess to me the whole patriot thing aka big brother was just cliched even back then, that I was disappointed in the direction they took the story and while mgs1 had fantastical characters such as mantis and decoy octopus the world I felt was grounded in some concrete reality. mgs2 to me abandoned that reality after the first chapter and went in a direction it didnt really need to go to. I feel like either from the fan response (most fans hated mgs2 when it first came out, some have changed their opinions since then) or bc kojima changed his mind and decided to go back to a more concrete existence in mgs3 while still adding those Japanese touches. either way I still feel like he accomplished with mgs5 what he was trying to do with mgs2 that the legend is bigger than the person. as the great movie sandlot once pointed out “heroes get remembered but legends never die kid”

ps like I said I also felt the gameplay was lacking in mgs2, even though the graphics were a huge upgrade from mgs1 the gameplay was not changed much and still played a lot like mgs1. mgs3 was a lot more responsive and had a lot better level design with semi open level concepts. of course mgs5 blew mgs3 out the universe with their open world. I remember b4 mgs3 came out though kojima said you would have to eat to survive, and repair injuries to yourself if you got hurt. those elements were basically so scaled back in mgs3 that they were basically non existent.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Jdawg445 - 24 May 2016 01:20 PM

I guess to me the whole patriot thing aka big brother was just cliched even back then, that I was disappointed in the direction they took the story and while mgs1 had fantastical characters such as mantis and decoy octopus the world I felt was grounded in some concrete reality. mgs2 to me abandoned that reality after the first chapter and went in a direction it didnt really need to go to. I feel like either from the fan response (most fans hated mgs2 when it first came out, some have changed their opinions since then) or bc kojima changed his mind and decided to go back to a more concrete existence in mgs3 while still adding those Japanese touches. either way I still feel like he accomplished with mgs5 what he was trying to do with mgs2 that the legend is bigger than the person. as the great movie sandlot once pointed out “heroes get remembered but legends never die kid”

ps like I said I also felt the gameplay was lacking in mgs2, even though the graphics were a huge upgrade from mgs1 the gameplay was not changed much and still played a lot like mgs1. mgs3 was a lot more responsive and had a lot better level design with semi open level concepts. of course mgs5 blew mgs3 out the universe with their open world. I remember b4 mgs3 came out though kojima said you would have to eat to survive, and repair injuries to yourself if you got hurt. those elements were basically so scaled back in mgs3 that they were basically non existent.

It wasnt Big brother, it was Majestic 12, the same band of outfits in DeusEx.
Also Mgs2 was first commercial game to hint directly Zionist controlled digitized world.
Most people overlooked it, and the reason why gamers liked Mgs3 more because it was more American in presentation.
More 007/Rambo less Manga.

But i agree that mgs2 was barebones in boss fights, but experience was topnotch.
I was too bummed to see Crocs disappearing in puff of smoke on shooting, i thought snake could realistically fight it, but survival was gimmick.
It was not untill full camera control mgs3 got better, i hated jungle with overhead cmera, and divided loading sections.
With Quiet and Skull snipers , the real The End potential boss fight realized in mgs5.
I wish mgs5 had more bosses.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I agree with the sniper battles. the end sniper battle could have been so great if it was done right, but it was not. the quiet battle was epic and I also liked the skull parasite sniper battles. the other parasite battles though got repetitive and over the top. my biggest gripe with mgs5 is actually a small but important one. I hated how at the start of every mission it would tell you who was going to be in it, it took out all suspense of what was going to happen, plus kojima putting his name at the end of every level was pretty egotistical lol.

back to mgs2 for a second while the patriot angle might be a new twist its the same concept/trope of big brother or the man behind the throne or the Illuminati, which does not surprise me bc kojima has always borrowed heavily from american cinema, I mean solid snake/big boss is basically a snake plissken rip off of escape from new york. he named strangelove after a kubrick movie. I just think there was a better place to take the story than what mgs2 did. I feel kojima got wrapped up in interesting concepts and ideas instead of interesting storytelling and a coherent story.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Glass Rose (PS2). First Cing adventure. I love the early Showa setting, as well as the classic mystery story set-up with a complex family with every member having some motive for wanting someone else dead (as well as the 1920s film company background). There’s an interesting conversation system, where you select the keywords you want to ask more about to advance in conversation trees.

But the game also feels flawed. Storywise, the characters don’t seem to react enough to all the deaths around them, which is a bit of a waste of the setting (I need a “I’m not staying here, one of you might be the murderer!”), but gameplay-wise the game just feels lacking. You don’t actually solve the murders yourself, you walk around talking with people (and occasionally collecting evidence), so most of the game you’re just walking around in a big mansion in the hopes of finally activating the correct flags to advance with the story (often, you just have to guess that person X is somewhere).

This would’t be that bad on its own, but the map is actually quite big, the cursor doesn’t show what is a hotspot and what isn’t unless you’re in Easy mode and most importantly, this game runs on a timer, with you having to perform all the required actions within each chapter (a period of one hour) to proceed to the next. The game punishes you for taking your time, while on the other hand, it wants you to take your time by checking every person and every object every new chapter (some cabinets will suddenly have new objects to pick up once a new chapter begins, even though there’s no hint or visual cue to that. You just need to click on everything every time a new chapter begins).

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Best Cing game. One of the best mystery stories, i bet you didnt guess the killer.
Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top