• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabe

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Call of Cthulhu

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Touched a nerve i guess. Its just my opinion and according to my opinion, i
need some graphic fidelity and writing style of lovecraft.

Dcote music and sound was bloody amazing as well writing style.
Spent hours in innsmouth town , those shadows on the top of the buildings watching you,
hard to see but move away if you look upto them. Fishermen watching you.
Amazing stuff.

Eternaldarkness , well it doesnt need any explanation.

Both had Sanity effects before and much better than amnesia.

Both of the games writing had references and style of the books i read.
The rhetoric felt much similar. Dcote guys even did article back then , how they copied his style.

@henke
Amnesia is worst horror i played i never considered it horror. Level design was bland
and monsters were joke and never felt intimidating from design.

Coming from Fatalframe, Silenthill, REmake, Kuon, Haunting ground and clocktgower etc. amnesia felt like childs fantasy.

I am more fond of Japanese mindset, when they go crazy with horror , western idea of horror feels like joke more like jumpscares , with few exceptions ofcourse.

High hopes from Evilwithin hope mikami wont fail

The level of dread, macabre and disturbing design is my recipe for horror.

These guys from (Demon’s Souls) Tower of latria also gave me creeps, walking with lantern in halways with their ringing sound,  not to mention they can onehit kill you.

Coming from this stuff when you play this

It feels like a generic undead

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I’m not trying to change anyones opinions here but based on your description above you’re kind of missing the entire point.

You hardly see any “creatures” in Amnesia. It’s the story, characters and setting that’s the thing. This was one of the genious things about Lovecrafts writing IMO. Many times he didn’t even describe how the “monsters” looked like, only vague descriptions about how it was to much for a human to comprehend.

If you put the games brightness level to max and runs straight into a “monster” while taking a print screen just before you die, the result isn’t particularly scary I give you that. But like I said, then the entire point of the game (and IMO Lovecrafts writing) are lost.

I should add that I obviously also love games/books/movies with detailed monster designs as well.  Wink

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Henke - 07 April 2014 08:15 PM

You hardly see any “creatures” in Amnesia. It’s the story, characters and setting that’s the thing. This was one of the genious things about Lovecrafts writing IMO. Many times he didn’t even describe how the “monsters” looked like, only vague descriptions about how it was to much for a human to comprehend.

Yes, exactly. This is why graphic adventures rarely do Lovecraft successfully, and why my favourites are Anchorhead (a text adventure) and Amnesia (a game where you rarely encounter any monsters at all). How the monsters look is the least important part of a Lovecraft tale.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Henke - 07 April 2014 08:15 PM

It’s the story, characters and setting that’s the thing. This was one of the genious things about Lovecrafts writing IMO. Many times he didn’t even describe how the “monsters” looked like, only vague descriptions about how it was to much for a human to comprehend.

If you put the games brightness level to max and runs straight into a “monster” while taking a print screen just before you die, the result isn’t particularly scary I give you that. But like I said, then the entire point of the game (and IMO Lovecrafts writing) are lost.

I should add that I obviously also love games/books/movies with detailed monster designs as well.  Wink

That was mostly limted to cosmic horror and some books, while other books define the
shape of monsters. Leaving upto mind of reader is old trope now when it comes to
talking point. And i have already heard this point from amnesia fans before, infact even from slender ones which is not a postive thing. Wink

If you put brighteness level to max of Silenhill 2, 3 , 4 on ps2, REmake or even eternal darkness chances are you wont see as much repeated textures and bland empty levels as Amnesia. Take caps of monsters and show the creepiness of Amnesia,if you have better versions.
Amnesia is decent from 90s standard but it aint 90s.
However, they have improved a lot upon this in Pigs and even more now in Soma.

Finally, if i just have to read stuff then i will rather read book than playing games.
I need elements of games in gaming not just reading. And if i am hiding from something,
that monster should look worthy anough to hide. Alien Isolation guys aint idiots to
invest effort on Alien design. Uptill now its working. Smile

Heck its even conterproductive when you build up stuff in mind, (which is relative to reader) and then forced face the horror in the form of generic undead, it kills the mood.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

nomadsoul - 07 April 2014 10:07 PM

Finally, if i just have to read stuff then i will rather read book than playing games.
I need elements of games in gaming not just reading.

Interacting, moving, choosing, communicating, reacting, manipulating, exploring. Books won’t let you do that Wink

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Just to be clear, I love all Lovecraft-themed games (both official and unofficial ones) as well as the pen and paper RPG (even though it has been ages since I played it).

I do think that Amnesia is the best game to date (and this being the best movie) and I don’t think screenshots or even watching playthroughs of it can really capture what makes it great so I recommend playing it from beginning to end yourself.

I do really hope that Frogwares can exceed it though. Fingers crossed.  Wink

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Oscar - 07 April 2014 10:57 PM
nomadsoul - 07 April 2014 10:07 PM

I need elements of games in gaming not just reading.

Interacting, moving, choosing, communicating, reacting, manipulating, exploring. Books won’t let you do that Wink

Your idea of those verbs not mine, give me my expected quality or dont give me at all.
And in anchorhead(text adv) you are actually typing those verbs not controlling as
in real games. It aint 90s and it aint my thing (not anymore).
I know most of (PnC)Adv Gamers are accustomed with bad graphics or limited exposure,
that they use their imagination to fill in the implicit details.

But even then the minimalist style has to be clever enough not bland IMO.

@henke

You are perfectly normal, its just that my idea of horror is
different and i pointed out why it didnt work for me.
And man, Survival horror is my fav genre, even more so Adv. Love horror
elements in Adv if any, so i try my level best to love good horror, tried Amnesia,
it didnt work on me.

Latest Shelock trailer was great, seems like they have all resources, Graphics,
engine and writing good characters, they can easily pull it off.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Bogi - 07 April 2014 06:23 PM

Judging by what I have read here, people know (and read) very little about (of) H.P. Lovecraft’s opus.

I can only agree with Diego here.

If you think Diego is the only one you agree with because of the understanding of Lovecraft’s work, then please re-read my post. I even posted a link to an essay regarding the understand of the Lovecraftian genre, which from what I understand, would put Shadow of a Comet only one of many well done Lovecraftian stories. Shadow of the Comet is also only one of the stories inspired by Lovecraft that “Played it safe” compared to Lovecraft’s many obscure works.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Woah we were just talking and here we are with (potentially) true horror experience

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/3383/

Finally!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 09 April 2014 10:12 AM

Woah we were just talking and here we are with (potentially) true horror experience

Finally!

Hehe, saw that thread and immediately thought of this one. You just beat me to it… Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

nomadsoul - 09 April 2014 10:12 AM

Finally!

Exactly! Res Evil 1 & Alone in the Dark classic feel. I don’t understand those gamers that complain that it really hasn’t gone back to its roots. I wonder if they were born in a generation after these classic Survival Horrors?

Anyways, whos down for a new Lovecraftian Thrid Perosn Survival Horror? ME me me!

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Anybody here play the excellent Call of Cthulu game on the original xbox?  That game was vastly underrated—one of the most atmospheric experiences on that whole system, and with far more adventure game elements than you typically see in FPS-style games.  I used to go through that game once or twice a year—it was great!

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

You mean COC DCOTE?..was really challenging.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Gabe - 09 April 2014 04:08 PM

The challenge was a big part of what made it so great!  One of the few games that really filled me with real tension and apprehension as I went through it, and had some great adventurey puzzles, to boot!

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Lambonius - 09 April 2014 08:39 PM
Gabe - 09 April 2014 04:08 PM

The challenge was a big part of what made it so great!  One of the few games that really filled me with real tension and apprehension as I went through it, and had some great adventurey puzzles, to boot!

It was indeed really good. When you woke up in bed to the sound of some guys smashing down your door leading to you being chased between rooms while trying to lock and block the doors were truly awesome. It relied a little to much on shooting according to me but it’s still an amazing game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top